List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Experience has a lot to do with the way the Hawks open up space and slice through teams.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Yeah you just have to look at Amon, Scrimshaw, Hardwick and Sicily footskills vs LMac Fisher Comben.
Colby and Comben get a bit of a pass for being early in their footy experience.

It's more work rate than anything...

The most over blown misconception on this board is the need for fast runners lol
Footy iq, disposal skills, and work rate trump everything.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. We look like a top 4 team when we actually apply ourselves

Hawks have been the best team by far in the second half of the year. They all buy in, all of them want to be in every contest. Their work rate will get em into the GF IMO

Yeah it had nothing to do with experienced players like Gunston (33), Sicily (29), Frost (31), Amon (29), Scrimshaw (26), Worpel (25), Breust (33), Impey (29), Hardwick (27), Nash (26), Morrison (25), Moore (25), Chol (27), Meek (26).
Great post :thumbsupv1:

Someone needs to tell Clarkson that “experience” isn’t why Hawthorn just won a final.
It played a part for sure.
The good clubs recognised years ago the importance of bulk smaller forwards who link up in transition.

The inability of our list department to identify where the game is going, is seriously concerning. By the time we add a few small forwards, the game will have changed again.
So we might be ahead of the curve by not recruiting them?

My point is that Hawthorn (with the help of already having and recruiting experience) have left us in the dust.

They have just convincingly won a final and are now in the top 7 teams.
Dunno if we should be judging our rebuild against the hawks?
If we agree that we started in 2020, against the Hawks being 15th, 14th, 13th, 16th and now 7th.
Should it be Adelaide who were 18th, 15th, 14th, 10th and 15th, we judge against?
WCE 5th, 9th, 17th, 18th and 16th - they are resisting a ground zero rebuild maybe seeing our predicament

But what isn't the der fredrick moment is our rebuild has stalled and 2025, we really need to be minimum 14th - 12th; don't think the supporters or the board will accept another season like this!!

The good clubs recognised years ago the importance of bulk smaller forwards who link up in transition.

The inability of our list department to identify where the game is going, is seriously concerning. By the time we add a few small forwards, the game will have changed again.
I have a suspicion the new type in a few years will be a bunch of 190cm athletic speed and endurance combo runners like Freijah or Weddle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it had nothing to do with experienced players like Gunston (33), Sicily (29), Frost (31), Amon (29), Scrimshaw (26), Worpel (25), Breust (33), Impey (29), Hardwick (27), Nash (26), Morrison (25), Moore (25), Chol (27), Meek (26).
What 25, 26, 27, 29 year olds are we linked to?

I don’t think it had much to do with Gunston (33), Breust (33), Frost (31) which is the age demographic we are constantly linked to.

Experience isn’t a silver bullet. The way Clarkson has spoken about it vs Mitchell is pretty drastic. Mitchell has added experience, but just not for the sake of adding experience. He’s added experienced players like Amon & Meek, that fit how he wants them to play.

Nothing about our recruiting strategy gives me any comfort that we are taking a similar approach.

I don’t think it had much to do with Gunston (33), Breust (33), Frost (31) which is the age demographic we are constantly linked to.

Experience isn’t a silver bullet. The way Clarkson has spoken about it vs Mitchell is pretty drastic. Mitchell has added experience, but just not for the sake of adding experience. He’s added experienced players like Amon & Meek, that fit how he wants them to play.

Nothing about our recruiting strategy gives me any comfort that we are taking a similar approach.
You're right, but it might reflect where we're at compared to the Hawks. We don't seem to have any level headed players that can assert themselves and direct their team mates to halt an unanswered run of goals. Perhaps Clarko feels that we need to prioritise those players first, before we can pick and choose.

Its not misleading. You misunderstand what I'm saying.

Have a look at the list of their players over 26 and what they do. Compare it to the five players over 26 on our list this past season.

Even the second least experienced team than us has shitloads more maturity in their side than we do and they do the heavy lifting.
Ah then we’re saying the same thing

You're right, but it might reflect where we're at compared to the Hawks. We don't seem to have any level headed players that can assert themselves and direct their team mates to halt an unanswered run of goals. Perhaps Clarko feels that we need to prioritise those players first, before we can pick and choose.
Honestly, how is it that we’re all seeing this shit, but the club is essentially telling us, no, leadership is fine in its current state, here is a nice letter for you to read.

We get that good senior players don’t want to come to the club, sure, that doesn’t mean you can’t keep throwing darts at this current leadership set up until one lands. And we all know who is going to stick to that bullseye.

You can take Breust out because he was sub. Frost locked down their key forwards, he was crucial and let the others like Harwick, Sicily, Amon, Scrimshaw and Impey intercept and launch attacks off hbf
Their advice or guidance is also obvious when Dear is saying postgame "Breust and Gunston have fast-tracked my development as a forward" with what they have taught them in one year.

Experience is not a silver bullet but there is a balance we need to strike. We need more leadership level mature players who can instruct during the week and on field like Hodge, Lewis, Birchall etc. They have to be capable of still playing AFL.
Mitchell didn't add Amon, fairly certain he was from Clarko era recruitment. Meek fair enough was Mitchell.
We will see what happens, one or two experienced leaders wouldn't go astray.

Maybe but you hear the constant whinging about too many mids... at the time of that draft we had Anderson, LDU, JZ, Cunners, Jy, Dumont, Tyson, TT, Turner, Phillips, Lazzaro and Powell as midfielders and were odds on to draft JHF.
Stop making sense Ferbs. Do you even Bigfooty?..

You can take Breust out because he was sub. Frost locked down their key forwards, he was crucial and let the others like Harwick, Sicily, Amon, Scrimshaw and Impey intercept and launch attacks off hbf
Their advice or guidance is also obvious when Dear is saying postgame "Breust and Gunston have fast-tracked my development as a forward" with what they have taught them in one year.

Experience is not a silver bullet but there is a balance we need to strike. We need more leadership level mature players who can instruct during the week and on field like Hodge, Lewis, Birchall etc. They have to be capable of still playing AFL.
Mitchell didn't add Amon, fairly certain he was from Clarko era recruitment. Meek fair enough was Mitchell.
We will see what happens, one or two experienced leaders wouldn't go astray.
Amon was a Mitchell recruit.

Make no mistake, I am supportive of us getting a couple of the right experienced guys (from successful programs, still capable of playing at the level etc.).

I just think that is all that appears to be coming out of the club. Whether it’s Clarkson, Hood, Viney. That’s all they say, experience. I’m disagreeing that it should be our first priority.

Our priority should be identifying how we want to play and recruiting players that can, regardless of birth certificate.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back