List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Bring in experience guys. But obviously need to make every pre-season count over the next few years to move the dial.

if you were at the club you’d seriously be paying attention to and copying whatever Sheezel is doing. He talks about sleep diet breathing and mindset before even mentioning training.

Prior to his draft Newcombe made it known he only wanted to Hawthorn didn’t he?

He put a price on his head because he’d worked the deal with Hawthorn to do it.

Do people legit think that he’d have had the same development curve at a place he didn’t want to be at that have been historic levels of shit?

We could have taken him, its odds on that by now he’d have either left or not developed.

So lament all you like about the ones we don’t have.

None of that is going to make any difference until we start climbing out of the pit we dug ourselves into.

Bring in experience guys. But obviously need to make every pre-season count over the next few years to move the dial.

if you were at the club you’d seriously be paying attention to and copying whatever Sheezel is doing. He talks about sleep diet breathing and mindset before even mentioning training.
I worry that he is actually a (lovely) robot. I know that he is dedicated but I hope that he is also living his life.

In saying that, 40 other blokes on the list are probably enjoying their personal lives a little too much.

So the Darling trade is legit.
As long as it doesn’t cost us, we should have a small celebration and move on to more important list management moves like bringing in KPFs and smalls to develop from the draft and at least one mature small forward from a good system.

Good

Whenever Calsher Dear gets interviewed all he says is how important Gunston has been for his development. Same with Breust. I understand that a lot of what makes Hawthorn successful is the ability to move the footy quickly and into space, but I just don't think the potential impact of Darling on Larkey and whichever KPF we draft (if we draft one) can be understated.

Amon was a Mitchell recruit.

Make no mistake, I am supportive of us getting a couple of the right experienced guys (from successful programs, still capable of playing at the level etc.).

I just think that is all that appears to be coming out of the club. Whether it’s Clarkson, Hood, Viney. That’s all they say, experience. I’m disagreeing that it should be our first priority.

Our priority should be identifying how we want to play and recruiting players that can, regardless of birth certificate.
A couple of the right experienced players who have played in a flag and can still play at the level.
Not so keen on Darling myself but he could at least introduce our players into lifting weights.
A Konstanty or Rosas type cheap acquisition could help. Otherwise we hit the draft.

I have a suspicion the new type in a few years will be a bunch of 190cm athletic speed and endurance combo runners like Freijah or Weddle.
Like Holmes or what we hope Goater can be. Or Isaac Smith over the last 15 years. Or Howe last year.... Then they'll need to be countered with medium forwards like Zurhaar or Ford or Duursma pushing up to attack themas they push back and link up from the backline.

Its really about how your side plays and how you use your different players to their best advantage not some sort of video game where you match medium forwards against tall or small forwards or wings and medium defenders running off the HBF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prior to his draft Newcombe made it known he only wanted to Hawthorn didn’t he?

He put a price on his head because he’d worked the deal with Hawthorn to do it.

Do people legit think that he’d have had the same development curve at a place he didn’t want to be at that have been historic levels of shit?

We could have taken him, its odds on that by now he’d have either left or not developed.

So lament all you like about the ones we don’t have.

None of that is going to make any difference until we start climbing out of the pit we dug ourselves into.
He also played for box hill.
The man was hidden until mid season then he was picked up for peanuts.
Was upto north to take him or nobody else was given the chance.

What 25, 26, 27, 29 year olds are we linked to?

I don’t think it had much to do with Gunston (33), Breust (33), Frost (31) which is the age demographic we are constantly linked to.

Experience isn’t a silver bullet. The way Clarkson has spoken about it vs Mitchell is pretty drastic. Mitchell has added experience, but just not for the sake of adding experience. He’s added experienced players like Amon & Meek, that fit how he wants them to play.

Nothing about our recruiting strategy gives me any comfort that we are taking a similar approach.

I know you have some kind of inside word and I'm certainly not trying to pretend I know more than you. But despite us being publicly linked to Ward, Wines, Parker, Viney etc, all of whom fit into the older age bracket, I do vaguely recall a bit from Clarkson where he said for every 10 players he talks to about coming over, only one shows any interest. I'd be fairly confident that there's a bunch of players we are trying to go after who fit into that age bracket of 25-29, the issue is trying to convince them to play for a basket case

I think the only reason Darling is coming is because hes David Justice in Moneyball and we're Brad Pitt. We want to milk the last bit of talent out of him and he wants to stay in the Show. I'm not saying this is you, and tbf I don't disagree with you that system is just as important as the players charged with carrying it out, but it might be simply just that we are not an attractive destination for players and are taking whatever we can get

I know you have some kind of inside word and I'm certainly not trying to pretend I know more than you. But despite us being publicly linked to Ward, Wines, Parker, Viney etc, all of whom fit into the older age bracket, I do vaguely recall a bit from Clarkson where he said for every 10 players he talks to about coming over, only one shows any interest. I'd be fairly confident that there's a bunch of players we are trying to go after who fit into that age bracket of 25-29, the issue is trying to convince them to play for a basket case

I think the only reason Darling is coming is because hes David Justice in Moneyball and we're Brad Pitt. We want to milk the last bit of talent out of him and he wants to stay in the Show. I'm not saying this is you, and tbf I don't disagree with you that system is just as important as the players charged with carrying it out, but it might be simply just that we are not an attractive destination for players and are taking whatever we can get
I agree we aren’t an appealing destination for guys in their prime. It’s just not going to happen.

My concern is more around our overall recruiting. It is so vastly different to the best clubs in the competition with a real lack of foresight.

I don’t think there is any better example then our approach to the current trend of small forwards (which isn’t actually anything new by the way). Blake Drury, Kayne Turner, RHJ, Geordie Payne. We had the forsight to use a couple rookie picks and MSD picks to address this critical area of the game.

Whilst clubs like Geelong are using second round picks on guys like Mannagh, GWS using multiple first and second rounders on these types, Hawthorn addressed it via draft (first and second rounders) & trade.

There’s probably no better representation than the GWS draft video they released last year re the Phoenix Gouthard* selection. Many thought they reached on him, but they were steadfast in the fact he is exactly the type of player that fits how they want to play.

*Phoenix cannot get a game at GWS due to their small forward depth but would be the best small forward at our club by a country mile

What 25, 26, 27, 29 year olds are we linked to?

I don’t think it had much to do with Gunston (33), Breust (33), Frost (31) which is the age demographic we are constantly linked to.

Experience isn’t a silver bullet. The way Clarkson has spoken about it vs Mitchell is pretty drastic. Mitchell has added experience, but just not for the sake of adding experience. He’s added experienced players like Amon & Meek, that fit how he wants them to play.

Nothing about our recruiting strategy gives me any comfort that we are taking a similar approach.
I thought Clarko brought Amon to the Hawks?

I agree we aren’t an appealing destination for guys in their prime. It’s just not going to happen.

My concern is more around our overall recruiting. It is so vastly different to the best clubs in the competition with a real lack of foresight.

I don’t think there is any better example then our approach to the current trend of small forwards (which isn’t actually anything new by the way). Blake Drury, Kayne Turner, RHJ, Geordie Payne. We had the forsight to use a couple rookie picks and MSD picks to address this critical area of the game.

Whilst clubs like Geelong are using second round picks on guys like Mannagh, GWS using multiple first and second rounders on these types, Hawthorn addressed it via draft (first and second rounders) & trade.

There’s probably no better representation than the GWS draft video they released last year re the Phoenix Gouthard* selection. Many thought they reached on him, but they were steadfast in the fact he is exactly the type of player that fits how they want to play.

*Phoenix cannot get a game at GWS due to their small forward depth but would be the best small forward at our club by a country mile
Compared to the days of smart recruiting like Brown from Werribee, maybe even Larkey and Zuurhar in the late stages of the draft + rookie. Does it appear for the past 3 - 4 years it has been ‘ok, best available rated talent the recruiters agree on at that pick’ type of drafting?

Compared to the days of smart recruiting like Brown from Werribee, maybe even Larkey and Zuurhar in the late stages of the draft + rookie. Does it appear for the past 3 - 4 years it has been ‘ok, best available rated talent the recruiters agree on at that pick’ type of drafting?
Our draft picks in the last 3-4 years have been A grade talent. Fantastic drafting.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back