List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Compared to the days of smart recruiting like Brown from Werribee, maybe even Larkey and Zuurhar in the late stages of the draft + rookie. Does it appear for the past 3 - 4 years it has been ‘ok, best available rated talent the recruiters agree on at that pick’ type of drafting?
What do you expect?

We're building from scratch and haven't had any consistent strategy for years cos the coaching changes so frequently.

Psicosis mentioned Mitchell drafting to a strategy. Its a strategy that was built by his predecessor and that he's had four seasons (2021 coaching Box Hill) to work on consistently, and if you consider when he went back to Hawthorn to coach he's had since 2019. We've had Scott in 2019 at the end of the contested ball, long down the line and hit the triple towers then Shaw, Noble and finally Clarkson in that time Mitchell has been coaching at Hawthorn.

Till there's some stability with the direction the coaching team takes its pretty hard to target players to fit a particular style of game play.

What do you expect?

We're building from scratch and haven't had any consistent strategy for years cos the coaching changes so frequently.

Psicosis mentioned Mitchell drafting to a strategy. Its a strategy that was built by his predecessor and that he's had four seasons (2021 coaching Box Hill) to work on consistently, and if you consider when he went back to Hawthorn to coach he's had since 2019. We've had Scott in 2019 at the end of the contested ball, long down the line and hit the triple towers then Shaw, Noble and finally Clarkson in that time Mitchell has been coaching at Hawthorn.

Till there's some stability with the direction the coaching team takes its pretty hard to target players to fit a particular style of game play.
I disagree that it was a list and game plan strategy built by his predecessor.

In fact, Mitchell ripped the place apart as soon as he took over. They play completely different to how they did under Clarkson. Not to mention the various Clarkson recruits that Mitchell discarded.

In fact, Mitchell ripped the place apart as soon as he took over. They play completely different to how they did under Clarkson. Not to mention the various Clarkson recruits that Mitchell discarded.
Why have you got it in for Clarko its been obvious from the very beginning with your posts when he 1st took over.

We’ve had 7 first round picks in the last 2 drafts. No sh**.
The little we've seen of Goater looks good. Paul Curtis made the u22 squad. Jackson Archer looks like a gun.

Teakle, Maley, RHJ all look like reasonable picks given they are rookies (tho I agree we missed a shot at Mannagh.) Who knows with Payne but a few of his VFL performances have looked good. Same with George before he did his knee again.

From the 2020 draft - Tom Powell is the highest rated player for his age, the board here is fickle and reckons Ford is no good now but that's not true and we made a clear decision after the hub to target players with a work ethic and character Phillips, Lazarro (and Drury all) fit that and this time last year Phillips looked the goods. Its a pity he's gone backwards but if he turns it around then great.

The only obvious misses are Spicer, Edwards and Ham.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do you expect?

Still, every coach would love a player that can hit a target.

No he didn't. He got rid of two mids and retired a bunch of older players one of whom he got back as soon as he could. Hawthorn move the ball the way they did at their best under Clarkson now imo and they even have an actual midget on their forward line again as well as a bunch of other small forwards.

What do you expect?

Errh it wasn’t a criticisim? Just wondering if we’ve put more focus into one style than the other?

The little we've seen of Goater looks good. Paul Curtis made the u22 squad. Jackson Archer looks like a gun.

Teakle, Maley, RHJ all look like reasonable picks given they are rookies (tho I agree we missed a shot at Mannagh.) Who knows with Payne but a few of his VFL performances have looked good. Same with George before he did his knee again.

From the 2020 draft - Tom Powell is the highest rated player for his age, the board here is fickle and reckons Ford is no good now but that's not true and we made a clear decision after the hub to target players with a work ethic and character Phillips, Lazarro (and Drury all) fit that and this time last year Phillips looked the goods. Its a pity he's gone backwards but if he turns it around then great.

The only obvious misses are Spicer, Edwards and Ham.
At least some of us can see what we are doing and where we are headed and how good all our drafting has been not just the 1st rounders in the last 3-4 years. I can't understand why the same posters are so negative about everthing the NMFC does, Its alright to have an opinion and question things but some go way over the top and never say anything positive at all.

At least some of us can see what we are doing and where we are headed and how good all our drafting has been not just the 1st rounders in the last 3-4 years. I can't understand why the same posters are so negative about everthing the NMFC does, Its alright to have an opinion and question things but some go way over the top and never say anything positive at all.
I can.

People have put up with years of us being shit and every time things look vaguely a little bit good they end up falling apart again. Its like one ****en kick in the guts after another.

I can understand why people are running out of patience and hope.

Besides our leaders letting them down a bit how has the medical and development staff let them down I think all the young guys are developing nicely. Interested in your reasons.
You're not a north 1st-3rd year if you haven't suffered an injury that keeps you out of the 22 for weeks/months.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back