List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

All those players have major flaws in their game. Giving up a quarter of our list to these types isn't helping us improve. We would be better off churning through kids than trying to plug holes with journeymen.
There's alot of players in the comp with major flaws in their game. Over half I reckon.

Would he be a better option off half back than fisher
Fisher’s papers should be stamped to never play in the back line again. Horrible call from the coaches to persist with this approach through the whole year where he excelled in racking up useless stats. He also must of had LMac giving him kicking lessons, as his disposal was woeful for someone who came with big raps.

Over the Summer he is given game tapes of Gryan Miers/Ginnivan/Stengle/Watson etc, to study up on how to play as an effective small defensive forward. He also adds 5 KG to his frame and is taught how to lay a tackle. We have 3 more years of his contract, so it’s on him and the coaches to turn around this poor first year.

To be fair to Geelong, the retirements of Hawkins, Tuohy and probably Stanley will have freed up quite a lot of space in the lucrative Bellarine fresh produce markets.

The ol' Geelong double dip of "our veterans all take unders to play for us for the culture" and "those same veterans retiring will free up heaps of cap space for us"

Wouldn't mind Lobb if he was put in Chom's role from this year. Play Chom forward with say Larkey and Darling with the option of moving him back if needed. Really useful swingman now.

Added in player's we've been linked to and that would be nice to have/get with a *.

Something like:

Mid-sized backs: Archer, Goater, Bergman
Half/full backs: Logue, Dawson (Will or Kal), Lobb (D/F)*
Smaller backs: McKercher (D/M), (we could use another decent small defensive back)

MIDS

Mid-sized half forwards: Curtis, Ford, Zurhaar, Duursma
Half/full forwards: Larkey, Darling*, Chom(F/D), Teakle (F/R), Pink (D/F)
Smaller forwards: Fischer (F/D), Payne, RHJ, Owies*, Rosas*

Please let me know if I've missed anyone - happy to edit/update.

I don't see the likes of Darling and Lobb changing our fortunes , or misfortunes at all.

We can't trade an infinite number of players into our club so we need to prioritise.

In my mind, our biggest issue before anything else to address is leadership. I just don't believe we currently have the right players on our list to drive the required standards. Parker and Macrae look like the best possible available targets for this.

Next priority is small forwards. If we could trade 2 of Owies, Rosas, Kostanty, Richards into our team as well as pick up Steveo's son with a late pick or rookie, I think this would adequately address this issue.

That's 3 or 4 trades already without talking draftees. There's only so many list spots.

Trading for the likes of Darling and Lobb adds virtually nothing. It's just shifting the deck chairs and clogging the list further than we already have. Darling is as close to washed up as it gets and Lobb, even with his late defensive form, is a shaky option. We have players like the Dawson's and Teakle that we can put another season's worth of development into that could deliver similar or perhaps even better outcomes.

All those players have major flaws in their game. Giving up a quarter of our list to these types isn't helping us improve. We would be better off churning through kids than trying to plug holes with journeymen.
Didn't mean to press post so rather than edit...

We do churn thru kids to an extent. But you can't just do that or you end up with the list brad Scott left us. You have to put time and effort into kids to get something out of them if they aren't top draft picks.

Tom Powell was the highest rated player for his age this year. Its was his fourth season (and he's a first rounder.) Paul Curtis ... it was third season and his best year by a mile. Jacko is just coming good. Xerri - if we'd turned him over after three seasons he'd be long gone. Ford improved in some metrics and went backward in others after an interrupted pre season. If we'd let him go this year we may miss out on his best footy.

At the same time Spicer, perez and mahony are all gone after getting a good shot at playing and developing and a few others may join them this year.

I don't see the likes of Darling and Lobb changing our fortunes , or misfortunes at all.
Darling is very much a short-term filler. Also adds experience and leadership - someone who has experienced winning a flag.
Lobb I think can provide some flexibility around Chom.

Lowest priority of the three mentioned.
We can't trade an infinite number of players into our club so we need to prioritise.

In my mind, our biggest issue before anything else to address is leadership. I just don't believe we currently have the right players on our list to drive the required standards. Parker and Macrae look like the best possible available targets for this.
Agree - Priority 1.
I'd also love us to look at Callan Ward. He looked great on the weekend.
Next priority is small forwards. If we could trade 2 of Owies, Rosas, Kostanty, Richards into our team as well as pick up Steveo's son with a late pick or rookie, I think this would adequately address this issue.
Agree - Priority 2

McRae isn't the same player he was 18 months ago. There is a reason why WB have moved past him. He players a selfish brand of footy that's all about him padding the stat sheet. We need leaders that run both ways and contribute with the physical elements of the game.

I'm all for adding some mature bodies to our list, but they have to be the right types. We already have enough blokes on the list who don't have a team first attitude.

hey he 881 disposals a couple of years ago lol.

I think for free he'd be ok, is only 30, but yeah something has changed, rather him than Daniels.

Darlings tackle numbers are the only thing he really brings of value afaics but he makes as many tackles as Teakle, Pink and Larkey combined so if nothing else that's a metric that can be pointed to and that the others need to beat.

Darling is very much a short-term filler. Also adds experience and leadership - someone who has experienced winning a flag.
Lobb I think can provide some flexibility around Chom.

Lowest priority of the three mentioned.

Agree - Priority 1

Agree - Priority 2

Problem is, after addressing priority 1 and 2, that's 3 - 4 trades. Then add Darling and Lobb that's 5 or 6. Not much room left for draftees. Darling might add leadership and experience but so would Parker and Macrae and these two at least have a few years of footy left in them. Lobb has always been a fringe player and is currently playing for his career which would go somewhat in accounting for his late season improvement in form. We have enough key defenders to work with in my mind.

It's about adding the right pieces to the puzzle. If you add the wrong pieces or just add experience for the sake of it like we've done in the past then you end up with a whole heap of mercenaries like Fisher, Stephens, Polec, Hall and Stephenson who really don't contribute off field or on field.

Adding front running types (Mcrae & Daniel) to our list as it stands, will not achieve anything. We needed hardened bodies who lead by example, (like Parker).
Fisher and Stephens arguably were a big part of our improved performances in the second half of the season. Sheezel could move further up the ground and we had Tucker (a big bodied utility that we also got from the trade period along with Logue) playing half back.

Macrae and Daniel are both a lot better than so many players not ready to take the reigns and our senior players not pulling their weight. Parker is the strongest option of the lot but he shouldn't be the only one we target.

I don't think we realise how dire a situation we are in at the moment. There are far too many variables to rely on the crop we have and just inject Parker.

Get all of the above plus Darling and that is experience on every line which is our biggest problem. Even if they have a few years left, that is enough time for our young core to develop then we're on our way.

Problem is, after addressing priority 1 and 2, that's 3 - 4 trades. Then add Darling and Lobb that's 5 or 6. Not much room left for draftees. Darling might add leadership and experience but so would Parker and Macrae and these two at least have a few years of footy left in them. Lobb has always been a fringe player and is currently playing for his career which would go somewhat in accounting for his late season improvement in form. We have enough key defenders to work with in my mind.
Look if we didn't get those two I wouldn't be disappointed :sweatsmile: personally really want Parker and Ward/McRae (in that order)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McRae isn't the same player he was 18 months ago. There is a reason why WB have moved past him. He players a selfish brand of footy that's all about him padding the stat sheet. We need leaders that run both ways and contribute with the physical elements of the game.
What do you think changed?

Its not like Macrae's suffered a career-changing injury or been lobotomised.

Seems like the most likely explanation is that:
  • he's been taken out of the role he excelled in, and
  • he hates playing for the WB.

He wouldn't be Robinson Crusoe in either of those cases.

On one hand, he's not at the top of my bargain basement trade wishlist. He's essentially a medium paced accumulator, and we wouldn't be trading him in to play the Rowbottom / Viney accountable role, which is what we need most to improve our performances around stoppages.

But on the other, if he was available to us, he would have been an improvement on Simpkin this year, to say nothing of Laz. His tackle and pressure stats prior to this year were basically as good as any of our midfielders. Maybe he would be a bad fit with our club on a character basis or whatever. But the suggestion we should be turning up our noses at the the likes of him, should he become available for a third rounder, is just weird.

Look if we didn't get those two I wouldn't be disappointed :sweatsmile: personally really want Parker and Ward/McRae (in that order)

Fair enough

For me, I would be targeting Parker, Macrae and two small forwards and that's it. Keep developing our talls.

Fisher and Stephens would look much better in a more advanced side. I reckon Sam Mitchell would have no issue in itegrating them into his system and finding a role for them. But in our case, not only have we been playing them out of position (Fisher especially), the fact that we have issues all over the ground would always mean that softer outside players look worse in that scenario.

I would say Luke Parker has to be a clear number 1 target for us. Pay him whatever he wants and give him 3 years if required. I wouldn't be against Darling and McCrae at the right price as well. Daniel I don't think would be a right fit, as we already lack size and have too many small defenders who can't defend

Didn't mean to press post so rather than edit...

We do churn thru kids to an extent. But you can't just do that or you end up with the list brad Scott left us. You have to put time and effort into kids to get something out of them if they aren't top draft picks.

Tom Powell was the highest rated player for his age this year. Its was his fourth season (and he's a first rounder.) Paul Curtis ... it was third season and his best year by a mile. Jacko is just coming good. Xerri - if we'd turned him over after three seasons he'd be long gone. Ford improved in some metrics and went backward in others after an interrupted pre season. If we'd let him go this year we may miss out on his best footy.

At the same time Spicer, perez and mahony are all gone after getting a good shot at playing and developing and a few others may join them this year.
We are churning. But I think we could use more list space on it, which is currently filled with low-ceiling journeymen types.

This looks like a really deep draft where some will strike gold late. I'd prefer that to short termers that won't be in our next premiership team.

Smart by Beveridge to play him late in the season to up his trade value . Do we really want him ? We would be club number 4 for the journey man.
And also is he a good culture fit? Him and his missus carrying on Social Media when Bevo was playing him in the VFL earlier in the year. Do we need this type of behavior from our players?

Strawman much?

The suggestion that the flaws in Macrae's and Daniel's games are somehow comparable to CCJ, Biggie and Sleevo is absurd mate.
I would say that they are no more likely to shift the dial for us. Both those players are fringe at the dogs now. They will be fringe for us too.

Matt Owies still has no contract

Doesn't make sense? He is their best performed small forward. Surprised he hasn't been extended yet.

What do you think changed?

Its not like Macrae's suffered a career-changing injury or been lobotomised.

Seems like the most likely explanation is that:
  • he's been taken out of the role he excelled in, and
  • he hates playing for the WB.

He wouldn't be Robinson Crusoe in either of those cases.

On one hand, he's not at the top of my bargain basement trade wishlist. He's essentially a medium paced accumulator, and we wouldn't be trading him in to play the Rowbottom / Viney accountable role, which is what we need most to improve our performances around stoppages.

But on the other, if he was available to us, he would have been an improvement on Simpkin this year, to say nothing of Laz. His tackle and pressure stats prior to this year were basically as good as any of our midfielders. Maybe he would be a bad fit with our club on a character basis or whatever. But the suggestion we should be turning up our noses at the the likes of him, should he become available for a third rounder, is just weird.

Again, for me, it's the type of player we need to add. We need to add the right types that will complement what we already have and improve parts of our game plan and or structure. Adding in senior players for the sake of it won't achieve much. Sure, he is a statistical upgrade on Simpkin and probably a whole host of others, but we'll ultimately end up with the exact same issues with McRae as what we already have with Simpkin (poor structure, slow, unaccountable ect).

WB became frustrated with his lack of accountability in the midfield, his lack of damage and his inability to stick to structures around the stoppages. Which is exactly what we don't need in our midfield.

Again, for me, it's the type of player we need to add. We need to add the right types that will complement what we already have and improve parts of our game plan and or structure. Adding in senior players for the sake of it won't achieve much. Sure, he is a statistical upgrade on Simpkin and probably a whole host of others, but we'll ultimately end up with the exact same issues with McRae as what we already have with Simpkin (poor structure, slow, unaccountable ect).

WB became frustrated with his lack of accountability in the midfield, his lack of damage and his inability to stick to structures around the stoppages. Which is exactly what we don't need in our midfield.
I 100% agree there are types of players we need to add more.

Eerily similar to Jared Polec. Just not a player I want anywhere near the club

Nothing like Polec.... there were issues with Polec's foot from the start hence Port were happy to be rid... and it gradually got the better of him... no such injury concerns with macrae he just wants/needs to play more

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back