List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

You know if some posters had their way and hypothetically we finished in the bottom 4 for the next three years, most of them would still be bamboozled by that midfielders craft and so on and so on, wouldn't it be interesting if we brought in Luke Parker & Jack Macrae into our midfield for next year to help our gun youngsters. Yes I've heard all the talk about why some people don't want or think these two players will help our team, and what they can or can't do, but whether you like them or you don't, I think it will not only make our team better but actually transform it to where we are going.

He signed a 3 year contract less than a year ago.

Armstrong or Shanahan is the future, surely.
Yes, it is! I would rather go Armstrong, Jack Whitlock as for our first round pick, but we all have our own selections so yes we must correct our list and I know we have been doing this and it must continue this year, I also know we got Nick {Larkey} at a high pick but you can't judge all players that way, in other words "we haven't drafted a key forward in the first round and Larkey proves you don't have to get one in the first or second round", this style of thinking is not only floored but not logical, as far as we keep going along this road. As I've said before, probably apart from Riley Thilthorpe there hasn't been a key forward that we have liked that wasn't academy or father/son, that is all about to change, in my opinion.

Yes, it is! I would rather go Armstrong, Jack Whitlock as for our first round pick, but we all have our own selections so yes we must correct our list and I know we have been doing this and it must continue this year, I also know we got Nick {Larkey} at a high pick but you can't judge all players that way, in other words "we haven't drafted a key forward in the first round and Larkey proves you don't have to get one in the first or second round", this style of thinking is not only floored but not logical, as far as we keep going along this road. As I've said before, probably apart from Riley Thilthorpe there hasn't been a key forward that we have liked that wasn't academy or father/son, that is all about to change, in my opinion.
Good evening, Scout when you say you think that may change do you mean that we will pick a kpf with our 1st or split and pick a kfp with one of those picks in your opinion.

The whole 'improved after the bye' fallacy is going to be repeated so often over the off-season that by round 1 the narrative will be we were unlucky to not have gone on a 10 game win streak after our thoroughly commanding demolition of WCE.
This.

Belief is good. So are reach for the stars goals and positive thinking when things are tough.

But it turns to delusion pretty quickly if there's not much to back it up over a long period.

The 2017 crows win.

Building for the short, medium and long terms.

The list "reset".

The "amazing" 2018 season.

Blind belief (me too) that Shaws max intensity would carry us forward. It was picked apart by the 2020 preseason.

The 2023 Harley Reid win that was to catapult us into the next season.

Now this mythical run of form we experienced after the bye in 2024.

Let's just say it's hard not to be a little cynical about these declarations of turned corners based on 9 10ths of **** all.

The whole 'improved after the bye' fallacy is going to be repeated so often over the off-season that by round 1 the narrative will be we were unlucky to not have gone on a 10 game win streak after our thoroughly commanding demolition of WCE.
If you don't think that we improved after the bye then you either didn't watch or you're just being a miserable old campaigner.

Improved doesn't mean we were a good team. It means that we were better than before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

Belief is good. So are reach for the stars goals and positive thinking when things are tough.

But it turns to delusion pretty quickly if there's not much to back it up over a long period.

The 2017 crows win.

The list "reset".

Blind belief (me too) that Shaws max intensity would carry us forward. It was picked apart by the 2020 preseason.

Let's just say it's hard not to be a little cynical about these declarations of turned corners based on 9 10ths of **** all.
There's nothing mythical about it.

We won 0 games before the bye and didn't finish within 25 points in any of them.

After the bye we won 3 games and had 4 more where we were within 25 points.

There was undoubtedly improvement.

This.

The 2017 crows win.

The list "reset".

Thats a fair post KC and like you say it was picked apart from 20-18 to 20-20 but in saying that we didn't have the young talent coming through in that period like we do now in Harry Zane Arch Charlie Colby George and who ever we end up with this year.

If you don't think that we improved after the bye then you either didn't watch or you're just being a miserable old campaigner.

Improved doesn't mean we were a good team. It means that we were better than before.

You are missing my point. After all it's not like us as a club/fanbase to ever get ahead of ourselves when we manage to drag ourselves slightly above the level of totally inept.. The '21/'22 preseason for example springs to mind.

Dirty player though.
Clint Eastwood Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

This.

The 2017 crows win.

The list "reset".

Yep, this team has proved nothing yet. There's clearly some good career trajectories that are exciting but it's yet to be seen if the team derails those expectations.

There's nothing mythical about it.

We won 0 games before the bye and didn't finish within 25 points in any of them.

After the bye we won 3 games and had 4 more where we were within 25 points.

There was undoubtedly improvement.

Post bye:

We beat West Coast then lost to them.

Beat Gold Coast, making every attempt to lose it.

Played a slashing half against a side then shat ourselves. Just like we did pre bye in Round 2.

We got anhialated by a team by 124 points after losing to them by 45 pts pre bye.

Beat Richmond, making every attempt to lose it.

Were competitive against 2x top 8 teams.

Got touched up by 4x top 8 teams.

~This run of form is overstated. If people read this level of extrapolation on the * forum they'd be quoting it here and giggling about it.

This.

The 2017 crows win.

The list "reset".

Our time will come.

Yep, this team has proved nothing yet. There's clearly some good career trajectories that are exciting but it's yet to be seen if the team derails those expectations.
The importance of the bottom six players performing hasn't really been touched on. It was the main reason why our performance lifted after the bye. Teakle clunking marks, Pink taking a tall defender away from the ball to make space, Taylor doing... something, Phillips playing well in midfield, Tucker locking a half-forward down. Until we can have those sorts of sustained outputs regularly from our dreg (for the lack of a better word) players, we're gonna be hamstrung by our floor and reduced to staringly longingly at our ceiling rather than actually working towards it. And those promising trajectories will stagnate.

Not sure if the 'you're only as fast as your slowest....' maxim has ever been so relevant. The shitness this club has experienced is beyond comprehension. An assurance of performance from bit-part players would at the very least it would give us a baseline to work from, rather than trying to climb up without a rope from the pits of despair

The importance of the bottom six players performing
Improving the bottom six is the key Z. Oppositions who recognise and isolate the North players who are most able to be exploited will almost always carve us up. Our better players have to work harder and there will be times when they look for a release only to see a wall of enemy jumpers outnumbering our guys, forcing a kick down the line, a turnover or a successful tackle. And if it's one of our bottom 6 that gets the ball, then the opposition will be licking their chops, ready to devour us yet again.

We can have two or three players, sometimes more getting coaches votes but even against sides who we think are crap like St Kilda and * it's inevitable that the majority of the lowest rated players on the ground are ours.

That has to change.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back