List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

We're fortunately not the Saints, mate. 25 years is bad enough - i'd hate to think what we'd be like at 60. I'm leaning to KC cleans up the shit left on his doorstep (this board), that's all. And judging by the last few weeks, he's busier than a one armed bricklayer in Tyre.

Alleged n00b already knows who to suck up to. Nice work.

I react to a small percentage of the shit KC himself drops on the doorstep.

Im honestly curious as to what some supporters think our direction is now?

Has this big pivot been AFL instigated, i.e an ultimatum to get better immediately? It's a huge change in course from just getting some fringe experience players who don't mind playing VFL football in rolling 1 year deals.

Darling, Parker, Houston (admittedly doesn't sit with these two on current form).

We reportedly went hard at Jack Macrae with a proposition of uniting him with Finlay supposedly.

What the hell is this team now?

Yes we are shit, but we at least showed some genuine promise this year, surrounded by some diabolical performances.

We have a very promising group of young players, but plenty of holes on the list to still fill.

What is honestly the purpose of this? Experience, Leaders for the younger players? What about the current leaders with currency?

At what expense? We still need to build a contending side around these young players and a bunch of players who will be retired or near it in 3 years is not the answer at the expense of building the players Sheezel, Wardlaw, Colby are going to need.

Are we a young developing team or some side now burnt out from top to bottom and desperate to be middle of the road and out of the pressure cooker?

Or does the club genuinely just want to climb out of the doldrums and will be content with a Essendon/St Kilda mid table existence?
End of last year, we were all bullish about our prospects for this year. Clarko back for a full year, another pre-season into the kids, a fairly healthy list, 5 first rounders, the list goes on. This year came and went where we stunk it up so badly that we went backwards.

Maybe this time, we go in with the lowest possible expectations so that we don't get let down, and any upside is a bonus.

We reportedly went hard at Jack Macrae with a proposition of uniting him with Finlay supposedly.

Where was this reported out of interest?

What happened to that Shaun Burgoyne anyway?

I dunno, what happened to that Clarko that instantly turned Hawthorn into a powerhouse?

It's almost like anything he did at Hawthorn is irrelevant to the current circumstances.

Should I cite another bunch of circa 28 years with big CV's that turned out well?

What about that Dan Hanneberry?
What about that Jack Steven?
What about that Dayne Beams?
What about that Tom Scully?
What about that Dylan Shiel?
What about that Nathan Wilson?
What about that Devon Smith?
What about that Jeeger O'Meara?
What about that Chris Yarran?
What about that Steve Johnson (yes he played at GWS remember....)
What about that Adam Cooney?
What about that Jared Polec?
What about that Jason Akermanis (the Dogs variety....)

If they are so desperate to lure Houston, then it stands to reason we should be trading some players in the same age bracket to pay for him and the capital it will take.

Mortgaging the list holes when Clarko and Brady likely wont still be here, isn't the answer.

Im honestly curious as to what some supporters think our direction is now?

We are all to be hunted, captured and kept in a large oubliette and then slowly tortured to death and finally our corpses devoured by History's Greatest Monster - Brady Rawlings

Has this big pivot been AFL instigated, i.e an ultimatum to get better immediately? It's a huge change in course from just getting some fringe experience players who don't mind playing VFL football in rolling 1 year deals.

Is it? We were after Darling last year too. You can only go for players who are available.

This time last year did anyone think Luke Parker would be on the outer at the Swans?

I reckon if he was available then we would had a crack no?

Clarko has been consistent about the need to get high quality experience in.

Darling, Parker, Houston (admittedly doesn't sit with these two on current form).

I haven't heard that, doesn't sound plausible to me ... maybe if his bro already played for us.

What the hell is this team now?

It is a team with an out and out gun young midfield - AA squad ruck, Sheezel tracking to be the best player on the comp on the papers, LDU an established gun, Wardlaw clearly a gun etc.

We've got an AA quality full forward and our defence has gone from being a disaster zone to something where you go yeah, that looks OK actually in the space of a year with Comben going back, Logue coming back nicely from the knee, Archer really coming.

Now, our problem has always been our older players.

I remember deadshits defending Aaron ****ing Hall because he chipscabbed 140 fantasy points and 69 billion metres gained lol in Noble floggings. Same losers canning Brady actually think Aaron ****ing Hall was the answer to our probelsm lol.

If we can add older players who know what playing in a flag team is like to the kids, as opposed to having Aaron Hall out there shouting at young players to kick it to him so can pad his stats (yes, he did), then we will start getting somewhere.

Yes we are shit, but we at least showed some genuine promise this year, surrounded by some diabolical performances.

We have a very promising group of young players, but plenty of holes on the list to still fill.

What is honestly the purpose of this? Experience, Leaders for the younger players? What about the current leaders with currency?

They need help, clearly.

At what expense? We still need to build a contending side around these young players and a bunch of players who will be retired or near it in 3 years is not the answer at the expense of building the players Sheezel, Wardlaw, Colby are going to need.

Are we a young developing team or some side now burnt out from top to bottom and desperate to be middle of the road and out of the pressure cooker?

Or does the club genuinely just want to climb out of the doldrums and will be content with a Essendon/St Kilda mid table existence?

Do you reckon Al Clarkson and Todd Viney are content with that?

2-3 year deal for 32 year old Jack Darling.

A kings ransom for 28 year old Dan Houston when we are still a bottom 2 side with zero certainty on when we are challenging.

Looking forward to the 2-3 year deal for Luke Parker also.

I hate this club sometimes.

Other list managers must piss themselves laughing at the moves we make on a regular basis tbh.
Houston is 27, 28 half way into next year pretty much. He is in the exact age bracket our club needs right now. The club can’t win can it, we are drafting top end talented teenagers - we are to young. We bring in some old experienced heads - they are too old. We look to bring in someone somewhere in the Middle age wise and even that’s not good enough.

Tell me, with what’s available, what is it exactly you’d like the club to do?

2-3 year deal for 32 year old Jack Darling.

A kings ransom for 28 year old Dan Houston when we are still a bottom 2 side with zero certainty on when we are challenging.

Looking forward to the 2-3 year deal for Luke Parker also.

I hate this club sometimes.

Other list managers must piss themselves laughing at the moves we make on a regular basis tbh.
Houston is still only 27, and plays the type of role where he could perform at a consistently high level until 33/34 like Enright, Hurn, Birchall et al.

I think he is also playing this one pragmatically, knowing Port won't release him unless they get a good return, so will wait to nominate a his club of choice after the two clubs have agreed a deal in principle. In saying that, I have no idea how much weight Houston is giving to the ability for his club of choice to already be in a premiership window.

FWIW I really think North are on the right track with Darling/Parker/Houston. Your kids are great, and I think the impact of those players who bring both senior leadership as well as demonstrated ability to bring high level performance on a consistent basis will see a significant uplift in performance from the rest of the team.

I want Houston. I reckon he'd help us enormously over the next five years. Our rebound game needs an elite playmaker. Sheezel and McKercher would be better deployed elsewhere. Our backline needs a general and there's nary one to be found at present.

But offering F1 is setting up Freo for a hell of a deathride.

That's why, on the outside chance we pull off the Houston deal, it'll be hard to evaluate it as a solid decision in retrospect, should we finish in the bottom 3 in 2025.

If we finish say 13th or above, I think history will have proved Viney and Clarko right.

All academic at this juncture, of course.

Houston is 27, 28 half way into next year pretty much. He is in the exact age bracket our club needs right now. The club can’t win can it, we are drafting top end talented teenagers - we are to young. We bring in some old experienced heads - they are too old. We look to bring in someone somewhere in the Middle age wise and even that’s not good enough.

Tell me, with what’s available, what is it exactly you’d like the club to do?
If we can split 2, give one to Port and still have a crack at a first rounder this year whilst picking up a dual all Australian we'd be mad to not have a crack.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This smells like a club that is desperate and don't really know what their strategy is.

The amount of self sabotage that this club continues to inflict is remarkable.
If we want to win games then the first thing that needs to be changed is the attitude and culture at the club starting with training standards. Others who have left the club to play for another have said how surprised they were at the increase in training standards at their new club. So we need leaders who can do this. Sheezel, Xerri, Wardlaw and some others are a start but are still to young, in respects of implementing it on the older players, so this is where players like Parker, and Darling come in. Both are known for high standards at training and their professionalism.

the idea being floated seems to be trade F1 for one of Freo's 9/10 this year and offer that to Port
Freo would need to add more than that, maybe throw in their second rounder also

Our future first is likely a top 5 pick

I think the best play is spitting 2 for 6 and 10/12 with the tigers after their deals

And giving one of those picks to tarps

When you put it like that….

We seem to wanting player who’ve been at successful clubs.

Which is different from wanting players who are the reason the clubs are successful.

Yeah bro, Luke Parker nothing to do with with why the Swans have been a powerhouse for a decade, you wouldn't look at Luke Parker and say hey that guy Luke Parker defines the ruthlessly successful Sydney culture.

The Luke Parker who openly mocked Dylan Shiel as a chickenshit, he had nothing to do with the great Swans culture, no part of them being successful.

There's enough reasons to sook if you want to - and by God you love a good sook don't you son, if they paid by the word for BigFooty sooking you'd be a ****en millionaire - but you don't have to go making them up too.

End of last year, we were all bullish about our prospects for this year.

Maybe we shouldn't have been so bullish. Maybe we should have seen it for what it was - year two of a very interrupted rebuild under Clarko and co.

Clarko back for a full year, another pre-season into the kids, a fairly healthy list, 5 first rounders, the list goes on. This year came and went where we stunk it up so badly that we went backwards.

Maybe this time, we go in with the lowest possible expectations so that we don't get let down, and any upside is a bonus.

I think going in with the expactation you will see some blindingly good footy next year, an d some crap too, and very unlikely finals will be the go

Interesting, as I thought he was Carlton bound.

If guys like Twomey are talking about our picks for Houston at this stage, then it appears we are in with a good chance here. Port are just sitting back and taking offers.

This smells like a club that is desperate and don't really know what their strategy is.

The amount of self sabotage that this club continues to inflict is remarkable.

I think the strategy is to elevate the club above the 2-4 wins it gets per year over the last 5 years.

The worst football produced in afl history.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back