List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Recruiting Dan Houston is a win in my opinion, obviously the cost is very important from a draft and salary cap perspective.

Adding Houston, Parker and natural improvement from our youth should result in more wins and making us an attractive proposition moving forward.

BR: We want to try and split..
CD: Pick 2
BR: But we think we can..
BR: But I'd really like to..
BR: Okay, Pick 2

1726634862287.png

I remember deadshits defending Aaron ****ing Hall because he chipscabbed 140 fantasy points and 69 billion metres gained lol in Noble floggings. Same losers canning Brady actually think Aaron ****ing Hall was the answer to our probelsm lol.

If we can add older players who know what playing in a flag team is like to the kids, as opposed to having Aaron Hall out there shouting at young players to kick it to him so can pad his stats (yes, he did), then we will start getting somewhere.
If i remember correctly, and my mind is a bit soggy, someone bearing an uncanny similarity to you in demeanour declared Hall a potential AA candidate back in 2021 on Tweeter?
:deadshitlook

And whilst we're being fair and reasonable, what criteria should we use to judge him? Should we talk to people who have been involved in the decision making at the club, or should we just hang him based on stuff we read on the internet and our collective angst?
I would have thought on field results after 8 seasons is fair?

Houston is 27, 28 half way into next year pretty much. He is in the exact age bracket our club needs right now. The club can’t win can it, we are drafting top end talented teenagers - we are to young. We bring in some old experienced heads - they are too old. We look to bring in someone somewhere in the Middle age wise and even that’s not good enough.

Tell me, with what’s available, what is it exactly you’d like the club to do?

Our football club needs good footballers. It doesn't need age XXX.

Harry Sheezel isn't 28. I keep seeing, "we don't need more youth". I would take 1 more Sheezel, Wardlaw or McKercher for my next 2 R1 picks before paying up for Houston at his age,

There's a limit on what we should be paying for good players when he's of that age.

Would you trade Harry Sheezel or George Wardlaw or Colby McKercher for Dan Houston?

No. A firm no. There would be riots in the streets.

So it's all well and good to throw a draft pick or a number around in these discussions with no material value or having witnessed how much of a change they themselves can make to the football club.

However, in those examples, they will be driving this club forward for 10-15 years, not 3-4 years.

That is worth a huge amount, particularly when those 3-4 years are not likely to amount to anything from a success point of view.

If we were in finals, this would be a completely Different story.

If we were talking about a pick around 15-20 - Different story.

If he was a FA - throw $1m a season at him - Different story.

If we was 24 years old - Different story.

Recruiting Dan Houston is a win in my opinion, obviously the cost is very important from a draft and salary cap perspective.

Adding Houston, Parker and natural improvement from our youth should result in more wins and making us an attractive proposition moving forward.

The cost is the only important factor.

You only have so much capital over a period of time to build a premiership list. What Im worried is, we will expend a large amount this offseason, for no material benefit to when we are actually contending.

Of course recruiting Dan Houston would be a win, but not at the expense of what is likely to be a 200+ game footballer and one of the better players in the side for the next 10 years.

If we want to recruit a Dan Houston, do it via FA, we then add the cream of the draft and these players. Hawthorn is doing it to perfection at the moment.

Trading top dollar for someone not out of contract, not a FA, when we are 17th and have been for years with our draft capital is absolutely idiotic.

Last edited:

Houston would be amazing. Parker would provide much needed leadership and meets a need, but Houston would be next level in terms of improving our 22 and would help make us a destination club. Would do F1 or top ten pick (maybe not 2) in a heartbeat.

However, in those examples, they will be driving this club forward for 10-15 years, not 3-4 years.

That is worth a huge amount, particularly when those 3-4 years are not likely to amount to anything from a success point of view.
100% and we're adding 2 more to that Sheezel, Wardlaw, Mckercher, Duursma group to drive the club forward .... long term!

I think everyone is in agreement that Houston is good but not worth our future first

Only a pick around 10 which we could get by splitting pick 2

Otherwise we walk away

Yep, I'd be stoked with Houston for a pick around 10, I just also need to be happy with how we get there.

I think everyone is in agreement that Houston is good but not worth our future first

Otherwise we walk away
We've got 10 candidates for HB, id much rather spend it in the draft. Be that a Lalor a versatile mid with burst, a key forward like Armstrong or a small fwd like Berry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Otherwise we walk away

I'm not in agreement.

I'd much rather pick 6 & 10 in this draft.

Offer Port pick 22 and our F2.

Pick 22 & Goad.

There's plenty of options.

IF this is the path we take, our priority for the good of the club has to be taking 6,10 and Houston and maintain our F1.

Here's a novel thought - Trade some players to pay for his recruitment so we don't impact on our draft hand.

Which is about the only thing we have been OK at for the last 24 months.

Last edited:

You only have so much capital over a period of time to build a premiership list. What Im worried is, we will expend a large amount this offseason, for no material benefit to when we are actually contending.

Of course recruiting Dan Houston would be a win, but not at the expense of what is likely to be a 200+ game footballer and one of the better players in the side for the next 10 years.

If we want to recruit a Dan Houston, do it via FA, we then add the cream of the draft and these players. Hawthorn is doing it to perfection at the moment.

We need to become attractive to free agents, blokes like Balta and Brayshaw(FA's next year) won't give us the time of day if we don't start wining games. If by getting blokes like Houston and Parker helps us win games then we might be able to attaract some players.

But as I've already said, the cost is very important on Parker and Houston.

I'm not in agreement.

I'd much rather pick 6 & 10 in this draft.

Offer Port pick 22 and our F2.

Pick 22 & Goad.

There's plenty of options.

IF this is the path we take, our priority for the good of the club has to be taking 6,10 and Houston and maintain our F1.

Here's a novel thought - Trade some players to pay for his recruitment to we don't impact on our draft hand.

Which is about the only thing we have been OK at for the last 24 months.
ok not in agreement then

im not fussed either way whether we have 6 and 10 vs 6 and houston

We need to become attractive to free agents, blokes like Balta and Brayshaw(FA's next year) won't give us the time of day if we don't start wining games. If by getting blokes like Houston and Parker helps us win games then we might be able to attaract some players.

But as I've already said, the cost is very important on Parker and Houston.
This is where your point breaks down though H10, because as a club we ALWAYS overpay.

Our football club needs good footballers. It doesn't need age XXX.

Harry Sheezel isn't 28. I keep seeing, "we don't need more youth". I would take 1 more Sheezel, Wardlaw or McKercher for my next 2 R1 picks before paying up for Houston at his age,

There's a limit on what we should be paying for good players when he's of that age.

Would you trade Harry Sheezel or George Wardlaw or Colby McKercher for Dan Houston?

No. A firm no. There would be riots in the streets.

So it's all well and good to throw a draft pick or a number around in these discussions with no material value or having witnessed how much of a change they themselves can make to the football club.

If we were in finals, this would be a completely Different story.

If we were talking about a pick around 15-20 - Different story.

If he was a FA - throw $1m a season at him - Different story.

If we was 24 years old - Different story.

Trading top dollar for someone not out of contract, not a FA, when we are 17th and have been for years with our draft capital is absolutely idiotic.
No one is advocating trading Sheezel, Wardlaw or Kerch for Houston, Im not even advocating trading the potential pick 2 equivalent for Dan Houston. Why throw up hypothetical arguments to support your stance? The word so far on the street is next years first has been in the conversation and im okay with that particularly if something came back our way along with Dan. Also to your very first statement, Dan is a very good AFL footballer, so you could of stopped there.

No one is advocating trading Sheezel, Wardlaw or Kerch for Houston, Im not even advocating trading the potential pick 2 equivalent for Dan Houston. Why throw up hypothetical arguments to support your stance? The word so far on the street is next years first has been in the conversation and im okay with that particularly if something came back our way along with Dan. Also to your very first statement, Dan is a very good AFL footballer, so you could of stopped there.

Well next years F1 could very well mean a Pick 2 equivalent for Dan Houston.

In fact it's almost unbackable in every way based on a lot of recent history.

Dan Houston is not Gary Ablett Jnr.

You would hope we are rising up the ladder next season is what I’d be banking on, maybe 6 wins instead of 3 and like I said, something coming back with Huoston.

Say we finish 16th to 12th next season. That’s pick 3-7 territory. How many pick 3 to 7s have been GAJ quality over the last twenty years? We are more likely to draft a Dylan Stephens calibre player than a GAJ next year. Houston as an AA level player, even if he plays 5 years would easily be better value than many picks in this range.

Say we finish 16th to 12th next season. That’s pick 3-7 territory. How many pick 3 to 7s have been GAJ quality over the last twenty years? We are more likely to draft a Dylan Stephens calibre player than a GAJ next year. Houston as an AA level player, even if he plays 5 years would easily be better value than many picks in this range.
why would you risk a future first if you can split pick 2?

now if we cant split pick 2 then maybe that starts to be a conversation but for mine the only sensible way to get houston is splitting pick 2

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back