List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne made their last push using the method of investing in established talent and while it affected a draft or two bringing in May and Lever they became very good of using future picks to come back in for high rated youth. We can have it both ways.

I’ll rephrase it… is the plan to finish 9th or win the thing?

It's a ridiculous question and you know it.

You're falsely attributing one recruitment strategy to an outcome that may or may not happen.

Anyway, 9th in 2025 would be a decent stepping stone to a flag.

Edit: FWIW, I fully agree that we shouldn't overpay (which I perceive to be F1) for Houston, but we still should be trying to get him.

It's a ridiculous question and you know it.

You're falsely attributing one recruitment strategy to an outcome that may or may not happen.

Anyway, 9th in 2025 would be a decent stepping stone to a flag.

Edit: FWIW, I fully agree that we shouldn't overpay (which I perceive to be F1) for Houston, but we still should be trying to get him.
Is there a point to recruiting Houston for significant draft capital if (more than likely) he will be too old to be part of our next premiership team?

Another player who is cooked. Just like Darling.
Benedict Cumberbatch Drinking GIF

I’ll rephrase it… is the plan to finish 9th or win the thing?
You cant compare finishing 9th of 10th in 2025, with a side that has Sheezel, LDU, Wardlaw, McKercher, Zane, etc.

The same as the sides that played under B. Scott.

Because the sides that B.Scott coached never had the talent the current side has.

If the above named players, plus some shrewd recruiting (Parker, small forward, Houston), gets us to tenth next year, it may just be the impetus, to build the belief in Harry, George, Colby, etc, to improve again, and push the rise up the ladder.

You need to take a shot. A risk.

I think the time is now...

Reckon it’s such a very fine line between staying the disciplined course of taking your picks to the draft and cashing in for a gun or two who may not seem to perfectly fit the current timeline for success.

I find myself agreeing with points from both sides but I’m starting to lean towards bringing in some established talent like a Houston.

I’m really not sure the perfect rebuild exists, we could go on drafting at the top end for a few more years and try to stay patient but that still doesn’t guarantee we’ll come out the other side with a powerhouse team.

And if we don’t see improvement very soon then the losing mentality of this young group only begins to bed itself in a create doubt.

Our star mid who just won the BNF will be 26 next season. Our AA full forward will be too. Our best defender Logue is also in that range. Putting some more established, talented pieces around them in conjunction with the Sheezel, Curtis, Wardlaw, Powell, Comben, Goater group who will be hitting that stretch of experience where they have the ability to really elevate the level of the team is the go I think.

Another terrible season in 2025 could start to take a real mental toll on some of these blokes if it hasn’t already. Let alone us in here.

As I said I can see the argument for staying conservative too but at some point you just gotta say what the ****.

What is the use bringing in a 28 year old who’s going to cost us big draft capital? This list build is nowhere near done and there is no way we will be contending within 4 years. Houston’s career will be all but over.

Is the plan to be competitive or to win the thing?
Why not just trade larkey and zurhaar if we're not aiming to be competitive in the next 2-3 years?
They'll be around a similar age as houston.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne made their last push using the method of investing in established talent and while it affected a draft or two bringing in May and Lever they became very good of using future picks to come back in for high rated youth. We can have it both ways.
Maybe, but those futures picks aren't going to be of as much value if they come from Tassie affected drafts.

Maybe, but those futures picks aren't going to be of as much value if they come from Tassie affected drafts.

Apparently Tassie aren't getting the same draft benefits the last few teams got. They'll need to trade their picks for established players so we'll just have to adapt to that.

Lol, better be. Drury, Harvey? And Laz - he’s not contracted next year is he?

Maybe some trade potential albeit minimal with Laz. Drury can get extended on the rookie list. Harvey a coin flip.

Could also easily move lazz or Harvey to the rookie list

Rather either of them than Drury

While I get the sentiment I'd be almost 100% certain Drury will be on our list next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back