List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Why not just trade larkey and zurhaar if we're not aiming to be competitive in the next 2-3 years?
They'll be around a similar age as houston.
Because they aren’t costing us a first round pick. We need elite talent who will play 5-6 years in their prime when we are contending.

Not only will Houston be too old for when we are contending, he will cost us a chance of bringing in elite talent.

7 out atm

7 to come in
1. Darling (pick 64)
2. Parker (pick 40)
3. Konstanty (future 3rd)
4. Pick 2
5. Pick 22
6. Pick 58
7. Rookie pick

Or split pick 2 so we don’t have to use pick 58
Nup. We finished the year with 46 players (four over). The two extra rookies and the two we took at the msd to cover LTI's. So we have space to bring in either three or five at the moment (depending on whether we get to keep the spots).

Melbourne made their last push using the method of investing in established talent and while it affected a draft or two bringing in May and Lever they became very good of using future picks to come back in for high rated youth. We can have it both ways.

2018 they got Lever and still managed to find two premiership players later on that draft (Sparrow and Jordon), then absolutely murdered the 2019 draft (Jackson, Pickett, Rivers). That's Geelong levels of setting up a flag in a couple of offseasons.

Sorry mate but I think it would be awesome.
Balta and Houston would be awesome.
Get it done . The answer to our woes is not more 18 year old kids. It's winning some games and making future fas want to come to us.
We have been crap so long all we have had to look forward too has been the next pick 1 or 2. It's time to leave the draft thread and work more in the trade and fa thread.
You've forgotten the Scotts era of mid table finishes already?

We need the next 2 drafts (or our F1 for 4) then we're ready to trade earlier picks.

Melbourne made their last push using the method of investing in established talent and while it affected a draft or two bringing in May and Lever they became very good of using future picks to come back in for high rated youth. We can have it both ways.
Compromised drafts coming, use the next two years of drafts to get in the highest quality kids. We'll be on the up naturally after than which is the time to start trading higher end picks for est players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2018 they got Lever and still managed to find two premiership players later on that draft (Sparrow and Jordon), then absolutely murdered the 2019 draft (Jackson, Pickett, Rivers). That's Geelong levels of setting up a flag in a couple of offseasons.

2019 was lucky for them, went from a finalist to bottom 3 and shot up again.

Reckon it’s such a very fine line between staying the disciplined course of taking your picks to the draft and cashing in for a gun or two who may not seem to perfectly fit the current timeline for success.

I find myself agreeing with points from both sides but I’m starting to lean towards bringing in some established talent like a Houston.

I’m really not sure the perfect rebuild exists, we could go on drafting at the top end for a few more years and try to stay patient but that still doesn’t guarantee we’ll come out the other side with a powerhouse team.

And if we don’t see improvement very soon then the losing mentality of this young group only begins to bed itself in a create doubt.

Our star mid who just won the BNF will be 26 next season. Our AA full forward will be too. Our best defender Logue is also in that range. Putting some more established, talented pieces around them in conjunction with the Sheezel, Curtis, Wardlaw, Powell, Comben, Goater group who will be hitting that stretch of experience where they have the ability to really elevate the level of the team is the go I think.

Another terrible season in 2025 could start to take a real mental toll on some of these blokes if it hasn’t already. Let alone us in here.

As I said I can see the argument for staying conservative too but at some point you just gotta say what the ****.
Staying the course, which we MUST do guarantees we have the best possible talent to become a powerhouse. Its not time to change course yet, after the 2025 draft yes.

Compromised drafts coming, use the next two years of drafts to get in the highest quality kids. We'll be on the up naturally after than which is the time to start trading higher end picks for est players.

With Tassie having to trade those picks then it means the market will get blown up for recycled players. We need to adapt somewhere in the middle.

Benedict Cumberbatch Drinking GIF

If you want to fill our list full of crap. Good for you!

I want to start winning games of football. I don't see how you do that by continually taking players who don't cut it at other clubs and have absolutely zero upside left in them.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back