List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Crazy how Geelong have made finals again with 9 players over 30, and we’re still behaving like anyone over 28 needs to be euthanised.
I'm in the get Houston camp. But I do think geelong would never pay the price we would be willing too.

Or, we get in top quality kids and win 9 games over '25/'26 as nobody on the list knows how to win or perform when the heats on, then lose established players because we never brought in guns when we had the chance...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app
As just posted in the Clarko thread, the 90s Roos were a young list that got beaten around and they figured out to win. Getting that big young group going to war together early made them ruthless.

Or, we get in top quality kids and win 9 games over '25/'26 as nobody on the list knows how to win or perform when the heats on, then lose established players because we never brought in guns when we had the chance...

It’s worked like a charm so far. The year on year improvement has been…

Nope, I can I can tell you North have approached Konstanty. So have other clubs. His preference is to stay at the Swans if he can but just wants to play footy so is open to a move. Fits a need and would be great in the Blue and White but will come down to the offer and opportunity presented. I hope we get him but am not sure at this stage.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
On more important matters how’s Bray George tracking man

As just posted in the Clarko thread, the 90s Roos were a young list that got beaten around and they figured out to win. Getting that big young group going to war together early made them ruthless.
At the moment we’ve just got Sheez and George going to war together in midfield…

😭😭

Yeah, I can see the similarities between our 90s list and now....

They all played together winning u19 flags while being elevated to the senior squad when ready, whilst this group have all played together and won 7 games in about 3 years lol

They knew how to win after playing together in a bunch of u19 gfs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Tassie having to trade those picks then it means the market will get blown up for recycled players. We need to adapt somewhere in the middle.
Has that been confirmed somewhere? We hear that around but havent seen anything official.

Didn’t Gold Coast go down more the established player route than GWS and were worse anywhere, or is my memory cooked?

Nah they learnt how to win as a group with the same coach coming through from the under 19 comp.

Yeah, I can see the similarities between our 90s list and now....

They all played together winning u19 flags while being elevated to the senior squad when ready, whilst this group have all played together and won 7 games in about 3 years lol

I was just thinking about that this morning after listening to Mick Barlow on the radio, how he is in a player development role at the club with the younger guys, and it struck me that he could well be a senior coach in waiting.....perhaps thats part of succession planning or just coincidence, as by the time we are in a contending position Barlow would have worked with and formed bonds with the majority of our junior talent who will then be leading the team, in a similar way that Pagan had the group at U19.

They draft incredibly well in general, and everyone comes into a successful environment. Not even worth the comparison
Their early draft picks don't seem abnormally good to me, but its their very late picks, like pick 50+ and rookies, that's outta control good.

Feels like bloody half of their best 22 come from those.

Rookies: Henry, Z Guthrie, Atkins, Close, Dempsey, Mullin, Blicavs
Pick 57 - Miers
Pick 63 - Humphries
Pick 86 - Bews

Blues have an offer for Owies according to the Blues board:

On another note, just to correct the on going rants from the gettable crew and other outlets.
Owies has been offered a deal from us, a reasonable deal of 2 years + triggers. But he has been offered some much higher and longer deals from several other clubs.
I don’t want to lose him, but I don’t want us to match the offers he’s receiving.

As posted before from a SEN texter, we have supposedly offered 3 years.

Their early draft picks don't seem abnormally good to me, but its their very late picks, like pick 50+ and rookies, that's outta control good.

Pick 57 - Miers
Pick 63 - Humphries
Pick 86 - Bews
I think they benefit from having essentially a metro league right under there noses. The standard of footy down this way is very good. I doubt it's watched by rival recruiters like say the edfl would be

Pick 57 - Miers
Pick 63 - Humphries
Pick 86 - Bews
Yeah, it's almost like there's more to it than just drafting with good picks

Pick 57 - Miers
Pick 63 - Humphries
Pick 86 - Bews

They don't really tend have a lot of early picks. Last couple would be Clark and O'Sullivan which are too early to judge. Their two first rounders prior to that were SDK and Holmes who are both guns.

Knevitt and Conway early seconds in 2021 as well (the latter looks decent).

In short, they do everything relating to list management well and it's kind of infuriating given they also have a fair few external advantages with location, government funding and sponsors. They'll probably never be crap again.

Yeah, it's almost like there's more to it than just drafting with good picks
Look I love sheez and George and ldu and co.
But to rebuild with 2 decent picks each year solely from the draft almost never happens.
It's not even 2 good picks any more with all the fa and academy garbage pushing out our second.
The best thing the afl could do for equalisation is grant the bottom 4 teams each year a few extra list spots for a couple of years.
That way struggling clubs can take a few vfl guns or speculative picks that others can't.
I doubt anyone would have issue with it and if it decreases how often priority picks are required it's a win for everyone.
This would also make paying 95% of the cap easier
My 2c

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Back