List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a good time to remember in the 2017 draft we took at LDU at 4, the Pies took Stephenson at 6. Stehpo won the Rising Star in 2018 and is now in our VFL team, LDU was a slower burn but now, with the benefit of hindsight, is arguably the best player of that draft.

Not beginning to say it will be the same with Watson/Duursma, but far too early to be remotely worrying about our pick.

I'd go further and suggest it is pointless to be constantly comparing our early picks with who we could have had with the benefit of hindsight. LDU was a big win for us sliding to 4, with hindsight, the Blues would have loved him over Paddy Dow, with their pick 3. Conversely, Lachie Hansen in 2006 ended up being a solid role player, but with hindsight at pick 3, I'm sure we would have rather taken Joel Selwood.

It is far more important, particularly with regular early picks while we are down the bottom of the ladder, that we are consistently bringing high end talent into the club. Going back to LDU as he was our first top 5 pick since Cunners in 2009, our top 5 picks have been;

2017 pick 4 LDU
2020 pick 3 Phillips
2021 pick 1 Ice Ice Baby
2022 pick 3 Sheezel
2022 pick 4 Wardlaw
2023 pick 2 McKercher
2023 pick 4 Duursma

JHF effectively became Wardlaw, so we've really had 6 top 5 picks in 7 years. Not comparing any of them to who we could have taken instead, just looking at what we have on the list, I'd say 4 (LDU, Sheezel Wardlaw, McKercher) are already clear wins and while it is too soon for Duursma, he wasn't a poor choice on junior form. I don't think Phillips is a complete bust, but certainly not a success as yet.

Nearly every draft has at least one top 5 pick that doesn't reach expectations, we have had 6 top 5 picks in seven years, if 5 of them end up justifying their early selection, we will be on the right track.

Gee there are big stakes on what Dursma becomes.

Forgetting he will forever be what we ended up getting vs Harley Reid after winning that last game, or we could of taken Nick Watson, if he can come on and be a really good forward for us in the Bailey Fritsch mould it is a huge injection of talent in an area of the ground we need.

On top of the rest of our young talent and another top 3 pick this year. That’s a premiership team.

Reminder of his capabilities

Probably a better highlights package than any key forward in this years draft

He's definitely improved from earlier in the season and is becoming a more rounded player. You're correct his left boot is elite I think it's his decision making that is the causing most of his problems.

There was a moment in the 3rd quarter where he took a mark on the defensive 50 near the boundary line. He had a player free for a short kick on the wing and another player free further afield at our 50 meter line near the boundary line. He waited and waited and waited and eventually took the longer option however by this time the player was manned up, the mark was spoiled and they rebound. So frustrating.
They all still do that. Its confidence.

Once they trust they can go straight away it will be a feedback loop sort of thing. They'll do it, it'll work so they'll do it more.

Probably a good time to remember in the 2017 draft we took at LDU at 4, the Pies took Stephenson at 6. Stehpo won the Rising Star in 2018 and is now in our VFL team, LDU was a slower burn but now, with the benefit of hindsight, is arguably the best player of that draft.

Not beginning to say it will be the same with Watson/Duursma, but far too early to be remotely worrying about our pick.

I'd go further and suggest it is pointless to be constantly comparing our early picks with who we could have had with the benefit of hindsight. LDU was a big win for us sliding to 4, with hindsight, the Blues would have loved him over Paddy Dow, with their pick 3. Conversely, Lachie Hansen in 2006 ended up being a solid role player, but with hindsight at pick 3, I'm sure we would have rather taken Joel Selwood.

It is far more important, particularly with regular early picks while we are down the bottom of the ladder, that we are consistently bringing high end talent into the club. Going back to LDU as he was our first top 5 pick since Cunners in 2009, our top 5 picks have been;

2017 pick 4 LDU
2020 pick 3 Phillips
2021 pick 1 Ice Ice Baby
2022 pick 3 Sheezel
2022 pick 4 Wardlaw
2023 pick 2 McKercher
2023 pick 4 Duursma

JHF effectively became Wardlaw, so we've really had 6 top 5 picks in 7 years. Not comparing any of them to who we could have taken instead, just looking at what we have on the list, I'd say 4 (LDU, Sheezel Wardlaw, McKercher) are already clear wins and while it is too soon for Duursma, he wasn't a poor choice on junior form. I don't think Phillips is a complete bust, but certainly not a success as yet.

Nearly every draft has at least one top 5 pick that doesn't reach expectations, we have had 6 top 5 picks in seven years, if 5 of them end up justifying their early selection, we will be on the right track.

Hitting not just good players, but stars, with at least four of those six picks is a sensational return.

29+ SAG from a first year small forward sounds pretty good to me?
Plus he had a good game on the weekend, best I've seen from him
Ah, he's played a good game, i see.

He also fails to make the distance from 40.

They all still do that. Its confidence.

Once they trust they can go straight away it will be a feedback loop sort of thing. They'll do it, it'll work so they'll do it more.
Good point Ferbs.

Ah, he's played a good game, i see.

He also fails to make the distance from 40.
I don't know how many Hawthorn games I've watched this year, but I reckon he's been good in quite a few. Or would have been if he could stop missing. If that persists next year it will be an issue. LT got over his yips.

Chadwiko

Watching You Pedro Pascal GIF by The Academy Awards

I don't know how many Hawthorn games I've watched this year, but I reckon he's been good in quite a few. Or would have been if he could stop missing. If that persists next year it will be an issue. LT got over his yips.
im happy to concede that other aspects of his game arent as bad as his goal kicking, but i saw him go on the massive arch-for-distance at the end of his run up for a 35 metre shot at goal. That's not yips, that's a lack of ability.

im happy to concede that other aspects of his game arent as bad as his goal kicking, but i saw him go on the massive arch-for-distance at the end of his run up for a 35 metre shot at goal. That's not yips, that's a lack of ability.
another wiz "warwick capper" didnt have to much trouble scoring goals for a bloke than couldnt kick long, just have to stay at home.

2017 pick 4 LDU
2020 pick 3 Phillips
2021 pick 1 Ice Ice Baby
2022 pick 3 Sheezel
2022 pick 4 Wardlaw
2023 pick 2 McKercher
2023 pick 4 Duursma

Excellent post Roo202 far too much common sense for this place.

A couple of comments;
1. I had to read this a few times before it clicked who you were referring to, I'd just about forgotten we drafted ***
2. Ironically we've ended up with this person… Dylan Stephens

(Log in to remove this ad.)

another wiz "warwick capper" didnt have to much trouble scoring goals for a bloke than couldnt kick long, just have to stay at home.
Feel like it might be a slightly different game now than from when the ego played

what exactly about watson's 10 goals 19 misses (of those that even made the distance or didn't miss everything) has gotten people's hearts aflutter?
He played a good game against the Pies. 12 touches and 3 goals. Highest rated small forward on the ground apparently.
He's going to be a very good small forward but a more committed defensive unit wouldn't have given The Wizard that much space to operate in. On The Couch showed just how little respect the Pies paid him and Ginnivan.

Excellent post Roo202 far too much common sense for this place.

A couple of comments;
1. I had to read this a few times before it clicked who you were referring to, I'd just about forgotten we drafted ***
2. Ironically we've ended up with this person… Dylan Stephens
Imagine if Phillips and stepehns become players wowee.

Phillips I'm of the opinion there's just no spot for him in our team. Not a bad player, glandular fever has hit him hard but I reckon he could match wardlaws output (evidenced late last year) but with a smaller ceiling.

Stephens I'm actually bullish about. Still young, plenty of tricks.

He played a good game against the Pies. 12 touches and 3 goals. Highest rated small forward on the ground apparently.
He's going to be a very good small forward but a more committed defensive unit wouldn't have given The Wizard that much space to operate in. On The Couch showed just how little respect the Pies paid him and Ginnivan.
The kid is a good kick at goal, just a case of the yips. He has had 29 shots at goal in his first season. It’s a great effort and he will undoubtedly be a star of the game.

My bet will be Phillips will leave for a 2nd/3rd rounder that we will used in some capacity (not straight swap) to bring in Gollant for KPF depth.
I don't mind this. Can't fit him in especially if we want mckercher there eventually, plus stints from zurhaar and Curtis... he simply doesn't offer anything different

Imagine if Phillips and stepehns become players wowee.

Phillips I'm of the opinion there's just no spot for him in our team. Not a bad player, glandular fever has hit him hard but I reckon he could match wardlaws output (evidenced late last year) but with a smaller ceiling.

Stephens I'm actually bullish about. Still young, plenty of tricks.
Would be amazing if they were to both reach their full potential, especially Phillips but it's becoming more and more difficult to see him at North next season. Agree with you on Stephens, hopefully last weekend is the baseline and he builds form there.

I'd rather use Will to either get a 2nd rounder (may be unlikely) or upgrade our 3rd rounder into the 20's if we went down that path.
Don’t think we will get a 2nd rounder unfortunately. Will is a great kid, for his own career though he has to leave. We will bring in another top 3 midfielder this year through lack of other options of talls in the top end.

What’s his journey to be in our best 22?

I am sure he will do good things with more opportunity elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back