List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I would have thought Parfitt as an UFA would be someone we could use. The right age (26/27), elite tackler and clearance player and from a very good system. Is inconsistent with his ball use, but adding him to our midfield depth would free up a heap of options with pick 1. Would be a solid replacement for Shiels & WilPhil (if he leaves)

Didn’t zurhaar play games last contract where he ‘listened’ to offers but just to cuck the other teams? Or am I making things up?

Didn’t zurhaar play games last contract where he ‘listened’ to offers but just to cuck the other teams? Or am I making things up?

Not sure if I'd call it games. It's a serious decision that he has infront of him, potentially life changing, so has every right to take his time and work out what's best for himself going fwd

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Definitely listened to offers, * were quite keen I’m sure it was used to improve our offer to him, nothing wrong with that of course it’s all part of the contract negotiation.

According to Fox Sports - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/01a51a611c6b05a7622ae888eec86bd3 - Freo is willing to offer Sydney's Chad Warner $1.5 to $1.6 M for multiple years.

Obviously, we don't know whether there's any truth or accuracy about the statement, but assuming it's true, what does that imply for LDU's value?

I wonder, if we are showing a bit of spunk, whether we might entice Shai Bolton to consider skipping the worst of the bottoming out years... Especially if Dusty finished up at the tigers by whichever way. Should be in his ear laying the groundwork. First round pick would obviously have to be involved.
If we finish above them we could swap first rounders.

According to Fox Sports - https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...n/news-story/01a51a611c6b05a7622ae888eec86bd3 - Freo is willing to offer Sydney's Chad Warner $1.5 to $1.6 M for multiple years.

Obviously, we don't know whether there's any truth or accuracy about the statement, but assuming it's true, what does that imply for LDU's value?

It implies we need to be extremely careful forking out shit tonnes of money for journeyman footballers in the next few years.

The likes of Fisher, Corr, Stephens etc would be on good wickets.

One of the biggest jobs over the next 5 years is going to be salary cap management with the amount of first rounders and young talent we have.

We can't keep recruiting these journeyman types of guys in the near future. If we recruit big wages it has to be quality, not punts looking for a payday, because we want "experience"

Even the level we go to for our own current role players like Zurhaar.

At some point we are going to have to pay through the nose to maintain our young talent like Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, Powell etc Particularly Colby with Tassie impacting his likely next contract.

Comben has been an afterthought for most the last few years, he's out of contract in 2025, he's going to get offers of $900k-$1m a season that we are going to have to come within a fair and reasonable range of, I guarantee you.

The cap has increased but LDU at even $1.3m a season is still around 8% of the cap. Even front loading it significantly, you are going to be carrying a big wage at the back end.

Im not at all saying he's not worth it, I'm saying re-signing at that level will impact what we should be spending on others.

You would have to seriously think about whether Zurhaar is worth $800k over 5 years if you are required to fork out $1.3-$1.4m a season for LDU.

Comben, McKercher, Wardlaw are much bigger priorities long term than Zurhaar.

It's also why the contracts of Simpkin and McDonald are fairly criminal.

We still need to be able to target the FA space as we move up the ladder.

Last edited:

Doesn’t really say anything about Cam, but some interesting father-son details later in the article. Bloody Stuart Cochrane didn’t get to 100 games with either North or Port so his tall mobile son who can play anywhere on the ground would be in the open draft, while there is a brief mention of Jason McCartney’s son, who we would have access to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It implies we need to be extremely careful forking out shit tonnes of money for journeyman footballers in the next few years.

One of the biggest jobs over the next 5 years is going to be salary cap management with the amount of first rounders and young talent we have.

We can't keep recruiting these journeyman types of guys in the near future. If we recruit big wages it has to be quality, not punts looking for a payday, because we want "experience"

At some point we are going to have to pay through the nose to maintain our young talent like Wardlaw, McKercher, Duursma, Powell etc Particularly Colby with Tassie impacting his likely next contract.

Comben has been an afterthought for most the last few years, he's out of contract in 2025, he's going to get offers of $900k-$1m a season that we are going to have to come within a fair and reasonable range of, I guarantee you.

The cap has increased but LDU at even $1.3m a season is still around 8% of the cap. Even front loading it significantly, you are going to be carrying a big wage at the back end.

Im not at all saying he's not worth it, I'm saying re-signing at that level will impact what we should be spending on others.

You would have to seriously think about whether Zurhaar is worth $800k over 5 years if you are required to fork out $1.3-$1.4m a season for LDU.

You would think Simpkin and Mcdonald would be on heavily front loaded contracts

All of those long term contracts would have to be very heavily front loaded. You'd hope so anyway. For all the criticism they get Jy, X and Souv will be crucial parts of our side for years and getting their pay out of the way now sets them up for life if they manage it right, while clearing out our cap space for that period when we need to give the young guns millions.

You would think they would have done the same to Stephens and Fisher too, add Logue to that too, we had plenty of cap to use up... none of these players brought in will be affecting or restricting the future paydays of the upcoming kids

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

You're exactly right. That is the real, pressing issue for the club's list management

Corr out at the end of next year just in time for Trainor to slot straight in

Fair shake to Eddy there.

I didn't think he'd be one to say get rid of F/S completely, but I agree with him.

If you are really fairdinkum, just have nothing. No F/S, no Academy, No NGA.

You dont need a points system or any of these systems in that scenario.

I like the romance of the father son rule. It's a real unique part of our game.

I just think you should have to play fair value with a pick that is within 3-4 picks of where they are bid on. Can't just get them by hoarding picks. Same should apply for academy players too.

only 5 RFA left available

Looks like danger and English will stay

Leaves zurhaar, Ainsworth and Berry

Of the unrestricted free agents the main ones Stengle, Battle and Yeo

Yeo is staying from the title of notification that popped on my phone.

As expected, his managed put out multiple clubs interest with huge offer.

Didn't COWro even said she had it on 'good sources' that north is offer 3 x 1.3 mil?

I like the romance of the father son rule. It's a real unique part of our game.

I just think you should have to play fair value with a pick that is within 3-4 picks of where they are bid on. Can't just get them by hoarding picks. Same should apply for academy players too.
There was that rule regarding number of picks being equal to number of list spots.

Which died a million deaths.

If zurhaar is the only prime age free agent left, then his value would skyrocket right, esp if his form improves due to the team's overall effectiveness going up.

If we can also spread some fake news to spice his value and suck a few dumb teams who think they can take the next level but really can't (ahem saints) and get a very good deal for zurhaar...

He doesn't look like the key player we think he is. If he is gone, taylor will get a lot more time in the forward line, duursma will get more space to shine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back