List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We could have taken Cadmans and missed on Sheezel I suppose.

Or Ugle-hagan or Darcy or Jed Walter oh wait.

McDonalds the one KP we missed , and he's not really one anyway.
Heh. In addition to The Other Lmac in 2020, I was thinking about how we'd traded out of the 2019 draft and missed SDK et al to get Polec.

We've broken the chain of continuity, that kind of passing on of knowledge if you will, and now the boys are having to learn the theory and try to apply it all by themselves.
Listening to Calsher Dear on 360 tonight talk about how important Gunston had been in his development, passing on knowledge to Dear that was passed on to him, just made me angry about our past list management all over again.

Rebuilding by drafting elite midfielders sounds like a great strategy until you do the maths and realise you're about 10 times more likely to pick up a decent midfielder in a trade than you are a decent KPP.

Father-sons, academies and now NGAs will take away what few good talls are at the top of the draft.

You want your club to build a balanced list from the get-go.
I think that your best value bet for KPPs is drafting a number of them with mid to late picks.

Our 3 best were taken at picks 31, 72 and 73.

I'd draft best available at the top (which will usually be a mid, occasionally a fwd and even more occasionally a defender) and I'd balance the list with later picks.

Listening to Calsher Dear on 360 tonight talk about how important Gunston had been in his development, passing on knowledge to Dear that was passed on to him, just made me angry about our past list management all over again.
Add to that James Jordan talking about how Luke Parker basically tells them what midfield structures to go to when they weren't going that well against the Bombres. That's why Shiels was out there for us so often.
As much as people wanted to rant every week about Shiels being in the team over Phillips, the leadership is important.

You’ve mentioned this twice, and so far it’s the only shining light I have over the last month. Please tell me it’s true?
It’s true, when he retired from Hawthorn he initially came across to North to move into list management. It was only then that Clarko, Todd and Brady convinced him to go around again. He’s been working with the list management team across the last 2 years he’s been playing. If you watch the video he says, “I’m excited for the next chapter, I’m excited that I still get to hang around the footy club and still play a small but important role in helping achieve our next piece of silverware”.

Last edited:
It’s true, he initially came to North to move into list management when he retired from Hawthorn. It was only then that Clarko, Todd and Brady convinced him to go around again. He’s been working with the list management team across the last 2 years he’s been playing. If you watch the video he says, “I’m excited for the next chapter, I’m excited that I still get to hang around the footy club and still play a small but important role in helping achieve our next piece of silverware”
Man this makes me so happy.
Not only because over the past four weeks, he put his body on the line more than anyone on the list, but he didn’t have to come take our call.
And he will know better than anyone else what our needs are.

Fingers crossed he walks into the club in the next fortnight, on a Monday and says Jy, Luke, Lazzaro, Taylor, Drury, Stephenson, Biggie and Free… pack your shit, and get theeeeee ****kkkkkkk out’

Man this makes me so happy.
Not only because over the past four weeks, he put his body on the line more than anyone on the list, but he didn’t have to come take our call.
And he will know better than anyone else what our needs are.

Fingers crossed he walks into the club in the next fortnight, on a Monday and says Jy, Luke, Lazzaro, Taylor, Drury, Stephenson, Biggie and Free… pack your shit, and get theeeeee ****kkkkkkk out’
Haha. I’m not sure that’s the best way to start your ‘first’ day on the job, might lose a bit of trust with the playing group.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We start with: 2, 22, 40, 58, 65

Trade Pick 2 and F2 for GC's pick 6, 11, 20

6, 11, 20, 22, 40, 58, 65

Trade 11 & 58 For Houston.
Trade 40 For Parker.

Go to the draft with 6, 20, 22, 65

Pick 6 - Harry Armstrong or Jack Whitlock (Key Forward)
Pick 20 - Joe Berry (Small Forward)
Pick 22 - Kayle Gerreyn or Jobe Shanahan (Key Forward)
Pick 65 - Pat Retschko or Jack Ough or Luca Greggo (Utilities)

Rookie 1: River Stevens (half forward)
Rookie 2: Evan Bradley (small forward)

Round 1 2024:

B: Goater, Comben, Corr
HB: Houston, Logue, Archer
C: Mckercher, Parker, Scott
HF: Sheezel, Teakle, Zurhaar
F: Curtis, Larkey, Berry
Foll: Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw
Int/Depth: Powell, Simpkin, Fisher, Tucker, McDonald, Ford, Hardeman, Payne, Stephens ect.
Not bad RF08. Suspect we would need more for Houston though.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think that your best value bet for KPPs is drafting a number of them with mid to late picks.

Our 3 best were taken at picks 31, 72 and 73.

I'd draft best available at the top (which will usually be a mid, occasionally a fwd and even more occasionally a defender) and I'd balance the list with later picks.
Yeah you can pick up good key position players in the 2nd round. We just didn't take any at all.
Sam Taylor, Van Rooyen etc.

Last edited:
We start with: 2, 22, 40, 58, 65

Trade Pick 2 and F2 for GC's pick 6, 11, 20

6, 11, 20, 22, 40, 58, 65

Trade 11 & 58 For Houston.
Trade 40 For Parker.

Go to the draft with 6, 20, 22, 65

Pick 6 - Harry Armstrong or Jack Whitlock (Key Forward)
Pick 20 - Joe Berry (Small Forward)
Pick 22 - Kayle Gerreyn or Jobe Shanahan (Key Forward)
Pick 65 - Pat Retschko or Jack Ough or Luca Greggo (Utilities)

Rookie 1: River Stevens (half forward)
Rookie 2: Evan Bradley (small forward)

Round 1 2024:

B: Goater, Comben, Corr
HB: Houston, Logue, Archer
C: Mckercher, Parker, Scott
HF: Sheezel, Teakle, Zurhaar
F: Curtis, Larkey, Berry
Foll: Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw
Int/Depth: Powell, Simpkin, Fisher, Tucker, McDonald, Ford, Hardeman, Payne, Stephens ect.
Like your targets a lot.

Though I'm not sure I've seen many draft predictions that have Berry as low as 20, which I guess will be more like 23-25 after the usual shenanigans. Would you be happy to sacrifice Houston if it meant you could get Berry and Armstrong/Whitlock with 6 and 11?

Maybe a future third for Joe Richards too?

And since we'll have bugger all people to help reach the salary floor with, maybe we could heavily front-load a workable deal to a UFA like Cumming, Perryman, Bews, Membrey, etc, for a bit of experience, especially in the scenario we can't get Houston?

Simply cause we're shithouse. I've been regaled by stories of superstars wanting to join North during our reign in the 90's..

We need to win around 10 games before we should consider offering decent players contracts. It's embarrassing how many times we've been knocked back.
Give us some names

24, 195, 100+ game, forward.

Screams everything we need to me.

We rank 18th in scoring shots per inside 50.

I'd prefer we look here rather than at an end of career mid.
He's really not the right type for us, especially as a forward. Too soft, flaky and inconsistent, only impacts a game about once a month. Definitely not the contested marking, pack crashing KPF we need to complement Souv.
Would only be interested in him as a half back distributor, where he's played his best footy.

Sounds like they are going down the path we went which is to gut the list and go to the draft.

Yes they will get draft picks, but they are giving up quality that is in the prime age bracket, so it’s a massive risk if you don’t nail those draft picks.

What would you rather keep a player like LDU now entering his prime years or to take a punt on 2 x most likely mid to late first rounders?
Look from my perspective I can see what the tigers are doing but the simple truth is if players want to leave then you try and get the best deal for them, they are finished as a force, now its some other team that will take over the mantle, and yes you do have to nail the first & second rounders but in my opinion you have to have some experienced players as well as your top end draft picks, its a combination, but such is their position now, come the draft, well there is an old saying, {sorry, Mortal Kombat, "CHOOSE WISELY"}

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back