Status
Not open for further replies.
We start with: 2, 22, 40, 58, 65

Trade Pick 2 and F2 for GC's pick 6, 11, 20

6, 11, 20, 22, 40, 58, 65

Trade 11 & 58 For Houston.
Trade 40 For Parker.

Go to the draft with 6, 20, 22, 65

Pick 6 - Harry Armstrong or Jack Whitlock (Key Forward)
Pick 20 - Joe Berry (Small Forward)
Pick 22 - Kayle Gerreyn or Jobe Shanahan (Key Forward)
Pick 65 - Pat Retschko or Jack Ough or Luca Greggo (Utilities)

Rookie 1: River Stevens (half forward)
Rookie 2: Evan Bradley (small forward)

Round 1 2024:

B: Goater, Comben, Corr
HB: Houston, Logue, Archer
C: Mckercher, Parker, Scott
HF: Sheezel, Teakle, Zurhaar
F: Curtis, Larkey, Berry
Foll: Xerri, LDU, Wardlaw
Int/Depth: Powell, Simpkin, Fisher, Tucker, McDonald, Ford, Hardeman, Payne, Stephens ect.
Won't happen, but that is a very nice effort roos_fanatic08, well thought out, have heard Dan Houston is going to stay at port but players do say that so will be interesting what happens on that front, but if port do make the grand final, it'll be without Dan, 5 weeks!

Moneyball: Carlton keeping fringe forward Matthew Owies in the dark on new deal, out of Houston race​

Carlton forward Matthew Owies will be forced to wait until the season is over to find out if he has a new deal from the Blues, while a key factor has ruled out a Dan Houston move to Ikon Park.
Jon Ralph and Josh Barnes

4 min read
August 21, 2024 - 6:00AM

Carlton small forward Matt Owies will have to wait for a contract offer from the Blues in the post-season even as his remarkable season continues with another brilliant effort in a crunch game.
The Blues are to keep their options open even if it increases their chances of losing Owies to a rival club as they sort through their small forward pecking order.
Owies kicked three goals against West Coast to take his season tally to 32 from 22 games, trailing only Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay among Blues goalkickers.
Essendon had at one stage been linked to Owies but they will secure NGA pick Isaac Kako, who is a bustling small forward.
So the Blues are content to hold off, not ruling out a contract offer but holding tight for now.
Carlton small forward Jack Martin is also set to receive a contract offer and while suitors had been keen on him he has broken down in two of the three games he has played this year.
It puts his future into doubt despite his huge potential in the rare times he has put a string of games together.

CLUBS SET TO PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR DAN

Rival clubs in the market for a rebounding defender are unlikely to come up anywhere near the Port Adelaide request of two first-round picks for Dan Houston.
Carlton has been mentioned as a possible suitor but the Blues couldn’t get remotely close to the Power request given they have their picks tied up with the Camporeale twins.
The Blues might attempt to use an early pick before they match a bid on Ben or Lucas Camporeale but they would not be willing to give away current and 2025 first-rounders for a player 28 next May no matter his All Australian calibre.
Melbourne had been keen on him given they had hoped to have a late 2024 first-rounder and a future first but now their first selection is slated for pick 7 given their on field struggles.
Port Adelaide is open to the trade request if they can get the right price, and are seen to be very hopeful of securing GWS free agents Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming.
In an ideal world they would secure two first-rounders for the rebounder and bring in free agents at no draft cost which filled his role.

COLLINGWOOD JOURNEYMAN LIKELY TO STAY
Collingwood ruck-forward Nathan Kreuger would like to stay at the Pies but is yet to be offered a new contract despite strong form when he found his way into the side.
He has played only 13 games in three years at Collingwood given shoulder issues but kicked seven goals in four weeks when he came back into the side in round 13.
After a quieter display against Geelong he was then concussed the next week and missed two weeks.
But with Brody Mihocek 31 and Mason Cox 33, he would be in demand elsewhere given he can play ruck and forward if a contract is not forthcoming at Collingwood.

FRINGE HAWK FORCED TO WAIT
Hawthorn survivor Harry Morrison will likely have to wait until after the season is finished to push his case for a new deal.
The fringe Hawk has played nine VFL games this year but has played the last two in the AFL side and notched his 100th senior game on Sunday.
Morrison, 25, has played more than 20 games twice and 15 or less in his other six seasons but coach Sam Mitchell has always valued his ability to run the right patterns and play any role.
He last signed a two-year extension in September of 2022 and told this masthead there was no genuine traction on a new deal.
“Not as yet,” he said.
“I just have to keep trying to play good footy and that will take care of itself.”
Morrison will be an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season, alongside teammates Chad Wingard, Cooper Stephens and veteran pair Luke Breust and Jack Gunston.
Having been forced to wait for a deal in past years, Morrison said he was comfortable focusing on Hawthorn’s finals push.
“There is always that pressure at this time of the year and guys out of contract but I just keep going back to doing what I can do and that is playing good footy,” he said.

SLEEVED STAR KEEN TO STAY AT CATTERY
Important Geelong forward Brad Close would “love to lock” his future in at the Cats as he heads towards a contract year.
One of the first picked each week by Chris Scott due to his pressure, workrate and goal sense, Close has become yet another Cat on Stephen Wells’ rookie draft honour board after being snagged by the Cats in 2019.
The 98-game premiership player has featured in at least 20 games in each of the last four seasons and is due to come out of contract next year.
But he would gladly sign himself up for the future if list boss Andrew Mackie presented a new deal to him.
“It would be cool to sign on at the Cats, if they are happy to do that I would love to lock that in,” he told this masthead.
“I have another year so it is not something I have to think about right now and I am happy to play some more good footy.”
Close, 26, has stepped into golf merchandise and videos when off the field and said Geelong’s famous relaxed environment suited the Mt Gambier product.
“It is a great club to be a part of,” he said.
“It is a bit of that relaxed competitiveness. The coaches and staff give us the flexibility and know we are going to do the right thing when we are away from the club to make sure we are maximising performance.”

MITCH CERTAIN TO STAY A HAWK
Hawthorn spearhead Mitch Lewis is certain to remain in brown and gold next year, even if rival AFL clubs attempt to prise the injured forward out of Waverley during the October trade period.
Moneyball understands that the Hawks and Lewis are focusing solely on his rehabilitation from a knee reconstruction suffered last month.
Lewis, 25, is contracted to the Hawks until the end of 2026, but several clubs including Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Essendon are in the market for a key position forward.
But he remains very much a required player at Hawthorn next year and beyond, despite managing just four games this season in what has been a frustrating recent run with injuries.
The Hawks see Lewis as their most important key position forward deep into the future, and know he can work alongside 27-year-old Mabior Chol and Rising Star nominated teenager Calsher Dear when he returns next year.

24, 195, 100+ game, forward.

Screams everything we need to me.

We rank 18th in scoring shots per inside 50.

I'd prefer we look here rather than at an end of career mid.
There are stats, and there are stats.

He plays like a powder puff. Not a contested player and goes missing if an opponent plays on him.

If u want a uncontested, unaccountable aloof half forward, he’s your man!

Not at all mate, and I know this is pretty arbitrary but Brisbane between 2014-2018 had 13 losses by more then 83 points.

We have had 6 between 2020-2024, and about another six in the 70 point range.

I am not sure how many they had in the 70’s as I looked at a list of their greatest losses ever and it bottomed out at 83.

So let’s not forget that it’s ok to get a hiding or two at this stage of our development.View attachment 2085850

A bit like trying to get your head around quantum mechanics, I just cannot comprehend how any team could be worse than us…things are looking up!
Gee imagine if Brisbane had to deal with the 666 rule and Stand on the mark too? They’d have beltings of 120+ week in week out

He's not a true key forward. Third tall at best, plays like a medium type

Heh. In addition to The Other Lmac in 2020, I was thinking about how we'd traded out of the 2019 draft and missed SDK et al to get Polec.
What a coup that was, still gives me nightmares thinking about it. We were so desperate to land a big signing and somehow he (and his sidekick) were what we ended up with. Not confident we’ve learnt from our past mistakes either based on last years signings. Crucial we get it right this year

If we can add Morrison and Owies (25 and 27 years old) to our team for late picks, it would help to fix our age discrepancy.
I see someone is gunning for Brady’s seat… but one thing…

CLUBS SET TO PAY TOP DOLLAR FOR DAN

In an ideal world they would secure two first-rounders for the rebounder
Your first task is to block the Port’s list managers number from his phone

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has mason wood, terrible forward but all Australian winger written all over him.

Let him hold his width, run up and back and cut up teams with a lethal boot

Finding a path home to Victoria not going to be easy for Dan Houston

Marc McGowan, Peter Ryan

Money Talks.Credit: The Age

Carlton expect to take a first-round selection to this year’s draft, complicating any attempt to secure Port Adelaide star Dan Houston.

The Blues inquired about Houston’s position after it was widely reported that the contracted defender’s willingness to join Melbourne had cooled as the Demons dealt with Christian Petracca’s frustrations and this masthead revealed Alex Neal-Bullen had asked to be traded for family reasons.

Houston and Petracca have different agents, but are both Connors Sports clients.

The Power are open to trading Houston if they gain a significant return for the 2023 All-Australian to use in this year’s talent-laden draft, with the Demons potentially willing to create an attractive-enough deal.

Port indicated to Melbourne in preliminary discussions about Houston, who is contracted through the 2028 season, that they wanted two first-round picks in return for him.

The Blues are keeping their options open, with a range of players, including small forward Matt Owies, yet to re-sign.

They have also given no indication to the injured Jack Martin or Jack Carroll, who are out of contract, whether they want to retain them, although Martin’s future is precarious after he suffered another hamstring setback in round 22. Houston would be a good addition to the Blues, which, despite their season being derailed by injury, are closing in on a flag, but with future trading still restricted to one year, finding a way to make it happen will be difficult.

Melbourne, meanwhile, have remained open about Petracca’s frustrations while locking in their skipper Max Gawn until 2027 and vice-captain Jack Viney through to the end of the 2028 season after North Melbourne registered their interest in him.

The Demons remain adamant they will not trade Petracca, and recently re-signed premiership pair Ed Langdon and Harrison Petty, while Kysaiah “Kozzy” Pickett is tied to the club for three more seasons.

Emerging youngsters Caleb Windsor and Koltyn Tholstrup have also re-signed until 2028.

No-one at Melbourne has denied issues need to be resolved, but with a deep draft making each first-round selection extremely valuable, the number of Victorian clubs willing to offer something compelling enough to convince Port Adelaide to trade Houston appears slim.

Reimagining the Tigers​

Richmond are facing a 573-game black hole this off-season that will strip their rebuilding efforts back to almost ground zero – but present the chance to be the biggest player in this year’s strong draft.

There is one game left in Adem Yze’s challenging first season as coach, but the most important juncture of the Tigers’ year and future will come in the weeks and months afterwards.

Liam Baker, unrestricted free agent Jack Graham and contracted stars Shai Bolton and Dan Rioli could all be playing elsewhere next year. That match tally above does not even factor in the retirements of premiership greats Dustin Martin and Dylan Grimes.

If the aforementioned quartet all end up departing, there will be an even heavier reliance on captain Toby Nankervis, Nick Vlastuin, Dion Prestia, Tim Taranto, Jayden Short, Tom Lynch, Jacob Hopper and Nathan Broad.

Yze conceded after Sunday’s 63-point thrashing to Hawthorn that the constant speculation about Bolton and Rioli, in particular, was “frustrating”. That came a day before Bolton’s Perth-based agent, Anthony Van Der Wielen, revealed they had told Tigers list boss Blair Hartley in “ongoing discussions” that he was “open to the idea of returning home to Perth”.

Triple premiership star Prestia is among the club’s 14 out-of-contract players but set to re-sign, while the likes of Kamdyn McIntosh, Marlion Pickett and Thomson Dow are also still looking for a new deal.

The reimagining of Richmond – four years after the third of their flags in an extraordinary four-year period under Damien Hardwick, who is now at Gold Coast – is well underway.

The Tigers will collect their first wooden spoon since 2007, and have pick No.1 in the draft for the first time since selecting Brett Deledio two decades ago. Before Deledio, you had to go back to the late 1980s, when they grabbed Richard Lounder and Anthony Banik at the top of their respective drafts.

Richmond auditioned No. 1 draft prospects Jagga Smith, Finn O’Sullivan and Harvey Langford in their VFL side in the past fortnight. With an even talent pool at the top end of the draft recruiters who speak to this masthead believe there is a large pool of players they would be happy to select with a first-round pick.

They may even score themselves a mighty draft hand like in 2004 – which they did not use to full effect when they nabbed Deledio (pick one), Richard Tambling (four), Danny Meyer (12), Adam Pattison (16) and Dean Polo (20) – if Bolton, Baker and Rioli end up being traded.

Each of that trio could command a first-round draft pick, possibly more in some cases, but the yellow and black face a significant talent drain and potentially a lengthy rebuild in that scenario.

As it stands, the Tigers have picks one, 21, 30, 39, 41, 48, 57, 65 and 73, several of which they will try to bundle to move up the order.

Richmond extended the contracts of Kane McAuliffe (2027), Josh Gibcus and Broad (both 2026) – the latter of whom had interest from North Melbourne – this month despite not being out of contract until next year, and re-signed Maurice Rioli and Mykelti Lefau for two seasons in the past week.

Berry unlikely but keen on Keane​

Collingwood’s chances of securing emerging Adelaide midfielder Sam Berry have dimmed, with the Crows keen to retain him beyond this season.

The Magpies liked the ball-hunting 22-year-old and have monitored his performance, but are unlikely to have the capacity to lure him across the border as he finds his niche in Adelaide’s midfield after battling to cement his spot early in the year.

Selected with No. 28 in the 2020 national draft with the compensation pick the Crows received for losing Brad Crouch to St Kilda, Berry has been impressive since he returned to the team in round 12.

However, contracted Crows defender Mark Keane, who played five games with Collingwood before returning to Ireland in 2022, remains in the Magpies’ sights in the event Adelaide agree to consider a trade. At this stage, the Crows are not open to that prospect as Keane has been an excellent performer in the Crows’ back line this season and is very invested in the group.

The Irishman is a free agent at the end of 2025, which may give Adelaide some reason to consider maximising his value in this year’s trade period or, alternatively, they could back themselves to keep him, having lured him back to Australia at the start of 2023.

Dee is Crows-bound

Departing Demon Alex Neal-Bullen will almost certainly play for Adelaide next season, with Port Adelaide preferring to chase younger stars who better fit their emerging group.

Neal-Bullen, who turns 29 in January, will be an ideal addition for a Crows squad trying to climb the ladder and in need of more quality and experience.

The 175-gamer, one of Melbourne’s best players this season and a key contributor in their 2021 flag, and his wife, Georgie, want to return to SA for more family support after the birth of their first child in February. The Demons have agreed to work with the SA clubs to facilitate the move.

Adelaide also hope to lure home-grown product Jack Lukosius, who is contracted until 2026, from Gold Coast, but there is the possibility of Victorian clubs pursuing him as well.

The Power are instead chasing GWS unrestricted free agents Harry Perryman and Isaac Cumming – particularly if, or when, Houston requests a trade to a Victorian club – while they have identified Collingwood’s Joe Richards, whose contract expires this year, as someone who could help bolster their attack.

Hawthorn, who are set to land contracted West Coast key defender Tom Barrass and trying to sign St Kilda’s unrestricted free agent Josh Battle, are also interested in Perryman.

The Saints remain keen to retain Battle and expect to head to the national draft to keep building their talent base having unearthed Darcy Wilson to join a core of youngsters – Nasiah Wanganeen-Milera, Marcus Windhager, Mitch Owens and Liam Henry – who are developing well.

Wines had bad news for Clarkson when asked on Tuesday.

But he didn’t mind the public move.

“Certainly, I am signed on for another two years,” he said.

“I have been here for the long term and I am generally a pretty loyal person.

“So I love the teammates, my coaches and everything about this place.

“I have had opportunities to go back to Victoria in the past but the pull of this place, the fans and supporters is too strong.

“I think this is the time of year where that comes out and there will be coaches that do that over the next month and through trade period but I am fully entrenched here.

“It is (kind of unprecedented), but I think that is the change of dynamic in football we are changing like other sports and the more that stuff can come in I think the better it will be.”

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson might want to add experience to his young group at Arden Street, but Ollie Wines says he is already doing that at Alberton and has no intention to leave Port Adelaide.

Almost 12 years after his name was read out by the Power with the seventh pick of the 2012 Draft, the 29-year-old will play his 250th game on Sunday against Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

It’s been a long road from Echuca, on the Victoria-New South Wales border, where as a child Wines would often call into Rex Hunt’s radio show to ask questions about his idol Andrew Walker.

But in some ways it feels like Wines has raced to the 250-game mark.

He has never played less than 12 matches in a season and is within six games of premiership captain Warren Tredrea who sits sixth on Port Adelaide’s all-time games list.

“It has gone by quick, I look on my career now and there have been a lot of games, teammates, up and downs along the way but really proud to get to 250,” he said.

“Probably when I think about it a little bit deeper, you can remember games and individual quarters from a while ago so it does feel like a long time ago in some ways and the place has changed a lot.

“We have been through developments, assistant coaches, players, so a lot has happened in that time but I am still loving what I am doing.”

Wines and his family were shocked when he was initially drafted to the Power and he has been forthright in his admissions that at the start of his move to Adelaide he battled homesickness.

“It is a well known story that myself and my family were pretty surprised to come to Port Adelaide, I had never been to Adelaide or South Australia and all of a sudden at 18 I was told I was moving interstate,” he said.

“So it was a big shock and probably where the club was at the time it was a lot for me to take in at the time but I couldn’t have been put in a better position to love what I do, to succeed and run out with my best mates every week so I am thankful for that day in 2012.

“I have loved it the whole time.”

Arguably none more so than the 2021 season, when Wines became the first Port Adelaide player to win the Brownlow Medal.

“I think so, and not so much from an individual perspective. In 2021 we had an outstanding year as a team and while we didn’t make a grand final me winning that reward was a reflection on what the team was able to do that year,” he said.

“I was in a position to get a lot of votes but as much as it was an individual recognition I feel that it was a team recognition and I am very proud of that year.”

There have been occasions where the pull of being closer to home could have resulted in Wines looking for a move back to Victoria.

The Kangaroos had been hoping the lure of Wines being a key part of mentoring their young team could potentially be a factor this off-season.

In an unprecedented move, Clarkson raised Wines along with Sydney’s Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, Melbourne’s Jack Viney and GWS’s Callan Ward as players the Roos would want to target in a radio interview.

“I have had opportunities to go back to Victoria in the past but the pull of this place, the fans and supporters is too strong.

“I think this is the time of year where that comes out and there will be coaches that do that over the next month and through trade period but I am fully entrenched here.

“It is (kind of unprecedented), but I think that is the change of dynamic in football we are changing like other sports and the more that stuff can come in I think the better it will be.”

The former co-captain and vice-captain said his experience was needed at Alberton helping young stars and leaders such as Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Jason Horne-Francis.

“Yeah certainly, that has been what Darcy (Byrne-Jones) and I have really committed to this year helping Connor and Zak and those emerging leaders,” he said.

“You have seen the emergence of Connor and how he has led us this year, we have been pretty open to him and helping him out but he has been doing a lot of it off his own bat and we will continue to support him.”

On the field, Wines said he was getting back to playing consistent footy after tough 2022 and 2023 campaigns.

Part of this was down to constant injuries, but Wines was also figuring out his role in the new-look Power midfield.

“I certainly play a different role, you see the talent I have around me and what they can do so,” he said.

“I can just focus on the contest and being in and under and letting those guys bring their strengths out.

“So it is back to consistent footy doing what I need to do to contribute to this midfield.

“Compared to 2021 this midfield is more three or four dimensional, there are a lot of guys with a lot of weapons.

“Not so much, I think we all want to be the best we can so that hasn’t been an issue. It has been more adjusting to their style of play.

“Those guys are so dynamic and quick out of stoppage it has probably taken me a year and a bit to sort of adjust to that speed.

“At 29 I think I have been able to add that explosiveness to my game and not sit around too much at stoppage because you will be left behind by our mids.

“I have really loved that adjustment in our midfield.”

North Melbourne coach Alastair Clarkson might want to add experience to his young group at Arden Street, but Ollie Wines says he is already doing that at Alberton and has no intention to leave Port Adelaide.

Almost 12 years after his name was read out by the Power with the seventh pick of the 2012 Draft, the 29-year-old will play his 250th game on Sunday against Fremantle at Optus Stadium.

It’s been a long road from Echuca, on the Victoria-New South Wales border, where as a child Wines would often call into Rex Hunt’s radio show to ask questions about his idol Andrew Walker.

But in some ways it feels like Wines has raced to the 250-game mark.

He has never played less than 12 matches in a season and is within six games of premiership captain Warren Tredrea who sits sixth on Port Adelaide’s all-time games list.

“It has gone by quick, I look on my career now and there have been a lot of games, teammates, up and downs along the way but really proud to get to 250,” he said.

“Probably when I think about it a little bit deeper, you can remember games and individual quarters from a while ago so it does feel like a long time ago in some ways and the place has changed a lot.

“We have been through developments, assistant coaches, players, so a lot has happened in that time but I am still loving what I am doing.”

Wines and his family were shocked when he was initially drafted to the Power and he has been forthright in his admissions that at the start of his move to Adelaide he battled homesickness.

“It is a well known story that myself and my family were pretty surprised to come to Port Adelaide, I had never been to Adelaide or South Australia and all of a sudden at 18 I was told I was moving interstate,” he said.

“So it was a big shock and probably where the club was at the time it was a lot for me to take in at the time but I couldn’t have been put in a better position to love what I do, to succeed and run out with my best mates every week so I am thankful for that day in 2012.

“I have loved it the whole time.”

Arguably none more so than the 2021 season, when Wines became the first Port Adelaide player to win the Brownlow Medal.

“I think so, and not so much from an individual perspective. In 2021 we had an outstanding year as a team and while we didn’t make a grand final me winning that reward was a reflection on what the team was able to do that year,” he said.

“I was in a position to get a lot of votes but as much as it was an individual recognition I feel that it was a team recognition and I am very proud of that year.”

There have been occasions where the pull of being closer to home could have resulted in Wines looking for a move back to Victoria.

The Kangaroos had been hoping the lure of Wines being a key part of mentoring their young team could potentially be a factor this off-season.

In an unprecedented move, Clarkson raised Wines along with Sydney’s Luke Parker and Dane Rampe, Melbourne’s Jack Viney and GWS’s Callan Ward as players the Roos would want to target in a radio interview.

The former co-captain and vice-captain said his experience was needed at Alberton helping young stars and leaders such as Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Jason Horne-Francis.

“Yeah certainly, that has been what Darcy (Byrne-Jones) and I have really committed to this year helping Connor and Zak and those emerging leaders,” he said.

“You have seen the emergence of Connor and how he has led us this year, we have been pretty open to him and helping him out but he has been doing a lot of it off his own bat and we will continue to support him.”

On the field, Wines said he was getting back to playing consistent footy after tough 2022 and 2023 campaigns.

Part of this was down to constant injuries, but Wines was also figuring out his role in the new-look Power midfield.

“I certainly play a different role, you see the talent I have around me and what they can do so,” he said.

“I can just focus on the contest and being in and under and letting those guys bring their strengths out.

“So it is back to consistent footy doing what I need to do to contribute to this midfield.

“Compared to 2021 this midfield is more three or four dimensional, there are a lot of guys with a lot of weapons.

“Not so much, I think we all want to be the best we can so that hasn’t been an issue. It has been more adjusting to their style of play.

“Those guys are so dynamic and quick out of stoppage it has probably taken me a year and a bit to sort of adjust to that speed.

“At 29 I think I have been able to add that explosiveness to my game and not sit around too much at stoppage because you will be left behind by our mids.

“I have really loved that adjustment in our midfield.”

Good, I dont want Wines

Timely reminder we rookied a 45yo Farren Ray for the fantastic return of 1 senior game ahead of speculating on Dan Houston.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back