List Mgmt. 2024 Trade & List Management Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep, they’re going to have to. No one’s coming in with a magic elixir.
Well, that's what CZ, Larks and a few of the more senior lads thought was happening when Clarko walked through the doors. Hopefully they've been disabused of that notion. Absolute make or break territory here. Young players are going to be risking breaking themselves to save the club

El-Hawli was the one who we should’ve taken. Speedy half forward wing with excellent disposal.

The guy who went 1 pick earlier in the mid-season draft than Saad (@ 12) looks an aboslute gem as well... And he's been locked into the starting 18 of the team that finished 2nd for the past 6 weeks!

He'd have been pretty handy this season as well... Not to mention has a terrific future since he's still 18!

Interesting tidbit from Port's website which suggests some advantage that interstate clubs have:

Speedy defender Logan Evans was selected by Port Adelaide with pick 12 in the 2024 mid-season rookie draft. The 18-year-old was connected to Port Adelaide through the SANFL Rookie Program, which allowed him to train with the AFL side and benefit from the experience of an elite sporting environment.

No one really has had significant winning experience except LMac, Corr and Tucker. That's not a trio that inspires hope and belief, even though I think each contributed massively to our good performances this year.

But yeah I made the same point yesterday. Our young blokes are going to have to show the most mettle shown by any young blokes in decades. Here guys, take this machete and carve a path through all the psychological rot that taints this team. Piece of cake
I hate talking about Cunners health from a footy perspective, because there's things much bigger than football. But that has had a huge impact.

In 2021 he was 30 and getting 27 touches, 8 clearances, 5 tackles a game. Towards the end of that year we started to look like we were turning the corner.

Well, that's what CZ, Larks and a few of the more senior lads thought was happening when Clarko walked through the doors. Hopefully they've been disabused of that notion. Absolute make or break territory here. Young players are going to be risking breaking themselves to save the club

Well, it’s not coming from anywhere else.

Another thing to note is the stability of the coaching staff and off field.... first time in a long time that we don't need to bring anyone in in the off season I wouldn't have thought. That type of stability is crucial

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
YES! Well said, there's that word, stability, I think some people are going to have to remember two words and this is one of them!

He sure does, no argument there, and he’s been good for Hawthorn. And I was frustrated last year that Collingwood had so many small forwards he didn’t play that much, when North’s cupboard was bare.
I would have likes it if we'd signed him. Oh well.

It's been an issue since 2022 started, though. The roots that represent our lack of belief have sprouted into ****ing mountain ashes. I'd still kill to see what exactly what happened at the club, and when, when Noble lost the plot. That was the decisive moment where we slipped from the pack and went into free fall instead of using 2021 to pull ourselves up to where everyone else was
We were on the way at the end of 2021. Then Sleevo's bike thing, Tarryn getting too much money and JHF all happened.

I hate talking about Cunners health from a footy perspective, because there's things much bigger than football. But that has had a huge impact.

In 2021 he was 30 and getting 27 touches, 8 clearances, 5 tackles a game. Towards the end of that year we started to look like we were turning the corner.
Yeah I'd forgotten about that one too.

2 of those 3 are games that fit with what I'm talking about when it comes to choking away games in the 4th quarter. They were only close because we fumbled big leads.

If we fix that issue then we beat WC twice (comfortably), we beat Richmond, we beat GC (comfortably), we beat Collingwood (comfortably).

It's a confidence thing that can click quickly, especially if we add some proper leadership.
I hear ya. Just feels like a big if at the moment.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big time.

Cunnington LDU Thomas was a very well balanced midfield - for about 5 minutes.

We’ve currently got plenty of talent but I’m not sure they complement / have figured out how to complement each other just yet.

Cunners used to read Goldy so well, he’d find the pill, be so strong that the bloke hanging off his back could do nothing, would draw the attention of the next mid/s away from ours, and have the handball skills and vision to put them out into space.

I think the expectations for LDU to become a ‘Cunners replacement’ were unfair. He’s a finesse footballer, not a brute.

LDU, Sheezel, Wardlaw and McKercher are all going to be INSANE midfielders, and maybe they’ll redefine what a premiership midfield looks like. But personally, I’d be a lot more comfortable if we had a monster in there with them.

Maybe that’s Xerri. Maybe we need to draft or trade in someone who doesn’t **** around.

Again, for the umpteenth time on here. That's false. He had a preference but would have played wherever he was drafted. Which is why Hawthorn used their first pick on him rather than letting 14 other teams have a crack at him.

North's finger pointing just straight up needs to stop.
It was well publicised that Sydney were admirers and forced Hawthorn to pull the trigger earlier than planned.

If we go into 2025 having not signed on a mature-age player from another club that fits the criteria of knowing a successful culture and can lead the team out for a few years, we're ****ed. It simply won't happen for us.

Change the captaincy, change the leadership standards (give it to Sheezel, Xerri, Comben whatever..) and bring in players that can lead without losing their form.

We can't keep going like this. The standards of our leaders are the standards the rest of the team accepts. Melbourne brought in a heap of players with leadership from other clubs when they were in a similar position.

If it means we have to cough up the draft capital, so be it. There are other drafts we can tap into. SORT THE LEADERSHIP PROBLEM!

I am dreading the trade and free agency period this year.

Unlike previous years where there was genuine optimism and recruits to target, top end draft talent to give us hope - this time round it feels different.

There is so much deadwood to cut and so many have a contract for 2025. We still don't have a centre half forward.

I think the most crucial part of the off-season is going to be getting the delistings right and making sure we don't cut too short and too deep.
The other will be the captaincy. Leadership needs an overhaul. We cant go into 2025 with the same candidates.

I will be also keen to see any changes to assistant coaches and fitness staff as well as list management.
Will Thursfield should have Liam Shiels added to his team but Rawlings and Clayton are in the gun.

Overall, I pray for a significant cultural change, that is desperately needed to shake up the club and finally detach itself from the stench of the last 7-8 years.

If we go into 2025 having not signed on a mature-age player from another club that fits the criteria of knowing a successful culture and can lead the team out for a few years, we're ****ed. It simply won't happen for us.

Change the captaincy, change the leadership standards (give it to Sheezel, Xerri, Comben whatever..) and bring in players that can lead without losing their form.

We can't keep going like this. The standards of our leaders are the standards the rest of the team accepts. Melbourne brought in a heap of players with leadership from other clubs when they were in a similar position.

If it means we have to cough up the draft capital, so be it. There are other drafts we can tap into. SORT THE LEADERSHIP PROBLEM!
Simply has to happen, and Clarko needs to be a big part of this off-season selling the dream(nightmare) to prospective players.

I couldn't care less if we used all draft capital on trades, even dipping into a f2 or f3 to get them done.

I'm also open to trading a player or 2, except for the obvious players that will help us climb out of the quagmire.

Adelaide were keen as **** on Goad - can package him up?.

UFAs need to be first on the shopping list, and we should be throwing darts everywhere.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am dreading the trade and free agency period this year.

Unlike previous years where there was genuine optimism and recruits to target, top end draft talent to give us hope - this time round it feels different.

There is so much deadwood to cut and so many have a contract for 2025. We still don't have a centre half forward.

I think the most crucial part of the off-season is going to be getting the delistings right and making sure we don't cut too short and too deep.
The other will be the captaincy. Leadership needs an overhaul. We cant go into 2025 with the same candidates.

I will be also keen to see any changes to assistant coaches and fitness staff as well as list management.
Will Thursfield should have Liam Shiels added to his team but Rawlings and Clayton are in the gun.

Overall, I pray for a significant cultural change, that is desperately needed to shake up the club and finally detach itself from the stench of the last 7-8 years.
Doesn't look great aye.

Experience doesn't help players run faster, think better or use the ball well. I would get our young guns in a room and set them the task to lead this group over the pre season.
It does however help to implement training standards, give support during games and push players during clutch moments when we need to hold a lead or come back after being behind.

A solid Whack by a serial whacker of our club. Plenty of raw truths in there, especially at the end with the trading in of Fisher and Cat Stephens.

Experience doesn't help players run faster, think better or use the ball well. I would get our young guns in a room and set them the task to lead this group over the pre season.
Experience does make players think better and use the ball well. Proper, winning experience, that is.

When the opposition kick 2 in a row, inexperienced players get antsy and make mental mistakes.

An experienced, respected player can step in and calm everyone and give direction in those moments, because they've been there 200 times.

They can be like another coach out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back