Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Spot on, I want to keep 10 or 11 hoping that Allan is available at that pick.

If we give up 10 and 11 for Allan and he becomes a star it's like the Croad for Hodge trade again.
Allan is impressive. My question mark on him is his position and development.

Erasmus and Johnson surely become big on-ballers for us, and O'Driscoll likely does as well.

Alongside Young that is already a fair bit of beast.

My big positive with the potential of trading in Bolton plus drafting Berry is that they can impact in second positions bringing speed and skill. Allan is transitioning from HBF so I do recognise he doesn't need to become a pure mid.

I think with Allan it is early days in terms of what he becomes at AFL level.

Last edited:

I disagree we have been killing it.

We won on the Schultz trade.
We look decent on the Clark trade but that was second rounders, hardly big risks.

The hogan and Neale trades are now being shared on every AFL social media page as some of the all time worst trade howlers that were on the wrong end of, yet again, both in the last few years.

We have also paid a lot for Jackson and the jury still out in that one for me. He’s got time though at least.
Pick 3 -> Logue, Darcy + Ryan
Weller -> Brayshaw
Hill -> Serong
Cerra -> Amiss
Johnson for free

The Neale/Hogan trade needs to be pushed back against as we got Shultz out of that deal. He then turned into Pick 11 which at least half can basically turn into Bolton. The 2nd pick swap is close to the other half with some cap thrown in if we need to use our first.

Jackson only looks like a loss since we finished 14th from 10 wins. Any other year and that's around 10th.

Clark is A grade and young. He'd be a pick 10 if he was leaving now.

The bulk of our talented list has come from good trading. Missing a few is not an issue or paying a bit too much when we are flush. Rich people don't look at the price tags when they shop.

Any 1 of Travaglia/Berry/Lindsay alongside Shai improves us as a side dramatically

That's a big call. Sam Sturt was a forward taken with a similar pick and only just broke into the best 22 in his 4th season.

The likes of Lukosis and Jack Watts were forwards taken top 2 in the draft and have had very little impact in the AFL.

What happened to the other WA Allan that was drafted last year? (Or was it the year before) Did he make it? Which Allan is the superior Allan?

When Brad Johnson did an analysis of Collingwood's midfield the other day he did mention Allan is one who he thinks is ready to take that step up and become a regular.

That's a big call. Sam Sturt was a forward taken with a similar pick and only just broke into the best 22 in his 4th season.

The likes of Lukosis and Jack Watts were forwards taken top 2 in the draft and have had very little impact in the AFL.
All those guys either had injury issues (Sturt) or were in terrible teams with no experience/protection around them so they could have immediate impact (Lukosious/Watts). We've got the list that can protect a young guy in their first year, we just saw Logan Morris win a premiership in his first year (A 191cm forward at pick 31!) and Logan Evans become a mainstay for Port (A 19 year old from the MSD!). I think if we can get an early draft pick this year they'll have a good opportunity to play a role that helps the team in some form without being targeted/overwhelmed/looking out of place. I don't think whoever we get at pick 11 will be a star or anything ludicrous, but they can contribute

All those guys either had injury issues (Sturt) or were in terrible teams with no experience/protection around them so they could have immediate impact (Lukosious/Watts). We've got the list that can protect a young guy in their first year, we just saw Logan Morris win a premiership in his first year (A 191cm forward at pick 31!) and Logan Evans become a mainstay for Port (A 19 year old from the MSD!). I think if we can get an early draft pick this year they'll have a good opportunity to play a role that helps the team in some form without being targeted/overwhelmed/looking out of place. I don't think whoever we get at pick 11 will be a star or anything ludicrous, but they can contribute
You see first year players have an impact every year. If they are good enough they can contribute immediately.

I'm saying we have been killing it lately. We have a current list trade win column bigger than any other club. Paying slight overs on Jackson or Bolton who are A graders is not a huge deal that will ruin us. Hogan was a huge dud but the steaknives of that deal are now half (the right side) of Bolton deal and that's the side that kicks all the goals.

Some wins, some losses. The likes of the Weller and Cerra trades were fantastic but Acres, Jackson, Meek look like bad deals in hindsight.

He’d have to have a pretty bad year - form or mental health or something - for the dees to consider a trade, and no chance now it happens this year.

You’d think Freo would be getting indications from both managers through next year, and be able to act accordingly.

Pickett would be an amazing pick up but has to be a long shot, the club are right to prioritise an out of contract Warner, even though personally I would prefer Pickett.

Melbourne win anything from 5 to 15 games next year. If they implode they may have to do what Richmond are doing this year.

Some wins, some losses. The likes of the Weller and Cerra trades were fantastic but Acres, Jackson, Meek look like bad deals in hindsight.
Walls doing our drafting and trading has been like Josh Treacy lining up for goals. He's not going to nail every shot but it's a bloody great action & rarely a complete miss. He's also been having a lot from a long way out too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Evans is a half back flanker

His injury was a fair disruption, he looked very good in his rookie year before he got injured.

Pardon the intrusion, I think the addition of Bolton massively improves your tilt at a flag. He is a phenomenal talent and a freakish game changer when surrounded by a very good team. Can be thrown in the middle but its so damaging as a forward. He is almost impossible to tackle and a nightmare to match up on.

This past season he was easy to isolate because he didn't have the talent around him. Any team facing Fremantle next year would have to consider not just Bolton but numerous other threats to nullify as well. That's when Shai can rip things apart.

You can look at your draft hand as something that you understandably do not want to get screwer over on but I think you cannot lose sight of taking the necessary steps to go hard at a flag winning opportunities. Bolton would be an enormous catch and a helluva great fit for your list because Freo are very close to becoming a force.
Completely agree with this. Sometimes the time to strike is right now. We could not have hand picked a player that we need for our team any better than him imo. He is everything we don’t have. In a normal situation the tigers likely don’t let him go with 4 years to run.

I could see the likes of Xavier Lindsay playing off a HBF in year one for us like Jordan Clark did in his first year at the Cats

Can someone tell me if this is right.

I am trying to preemptively feel smug if 10+18 is enough for Bolton (... to counter that we don't get to win trades like some Vic clubs and will pay fair).
  • 11 = Schultz + 34 (now Cooper)
  • 18 = 32 (final landing spot of our 2nd 2023) and 32 (our 2nd in 2024, currently 29 but at least 32 after Ashcroft, Lombard and Kako bids)
Pretend 11 is 10, or gets equivalently upgraded there from some late pick loose change from the Tiges.

2 years in the making sum:
  • Out: Schultz, 32, 32+
  • In: Bolton, Cooper.
I'd start the car if you gave me that bill from day one. What did I miss?
It’s close to the mark. If you want to go back further. That 32 which started out around 23 was one of the two picks we got for Logue. The second pick tied in with Tucker was start of third round. Prob ended up around 45. From my limited and short research I think we traded that pick along with a few others to get 38 from GC. I think that pick may well have ended up Ollie Murphy.

Out: Schultz, Logue, Tucker
In: Bolton, Cooper, Murphy

The day loomed warm and bright across the trenches, the squad breathing in the fresh morning air in anticipation. The first day had both sides firing shots across the divide, testing each other out, seeing who would duck or weave first.

Today the hope was for some small advance against the tormented landscape, grey and ashen, lifeless against the dawn sun.

It seemed that each side was waiting. Waiting for the other to move. Waiting for their opposite to begin the hostilities.

The enemy received a small, ragtag group of reinforcements, but by then it was too late, the sun had waned, travelling across the blue and leaving us all in the black. Moral was low, the squad now anxious, more than excited.

Day 3 looms like a shadow in the night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back