Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Focusing on the most recent results and forgetting that up till this year Amiss was one of the most accurate forwards in the competition. It's much more likely that he returns to his accurate ways than continues to spray them.

We're lucky to have three of the most accurate forwards in the league in Treacy, Amiss, and Sturt. All are well above average.
Hence why I said they are both skillful enough to get past the yips. I think it's a mental thing for both of them.

I also don't know how you can say it is more likely one way or the other.

Seems like I'm in the minority but I'm more than happy with what we paid. We offered 10/18, Tigers wanted 10/11 - we split the difference.

With the trade valued as equivalent to Pick 4 - then to my simple brain I'm just asking myself - do I think Bolton is worth Pick 4? And the answer is categorically yes. He's one of the best small forwards to have run around the league in the last 10 years, and fills the single biggest hole in our list. Plus he's only 25 and coming into his prime.

This is the type of bold trade that has proven to be the key to winning flags (Danger/Cameron to Cats, Neale /Daniher to Lions). In five years time I am certain we will be looking back at the Jackson and Bolton trades as the keys that unlocked the door.

With all respect to Bo Allen, those on here who are lamenting dropping down the draft from 11 to 14 (which in effect is the value of our 'cave') - really need to not get hooked on missing out on a 17/18 year old kid with a semi-decent draft reel. In 2017, we got all agitated that we picked Brayshaw over LDU. In 2019, the consensus on here was Serong was a terrible pick ('we don't need a slow midget ball extractor'). In 2021, we fell over ourselves in delight when we got Erasmus and then Johnson - neither whom have come close to be a nailed on starter after three seasons.

The draft is a lottery - two of our most important players from last year were taken at Pick 37 (Pearce) and Pick 7 in the Rookie Draft (Treacy). With our current list I'd rather put my chips on a proven elite talent.

Aye??

Think your confused , was actually the other way round .. he preferred MELBOURNE but didn’t choose them because of exactly that - they didn’t have enough to get a deal done

Possibly - memory isn't quite that good!

But the point stands that a nomination removes other clubs' currency from the equation.

The trade is over, we can sit back and relax now.

Shai Bolton, the man we've wanted for years, is officially a Fremantle Docker.

Celebrate folks!!!

If we wanted Berry at 11 I’m sure tigers have said they ain’t drafting him there and in between 11 14
Eagles got 2 small forwards plus malakai coming in don’t need another one
Bulldogs have west and that diving little **** and desperately need defenders and young mids

We should still be able to draft Berry + gain points for nga next year
Port probs take Berry

Dogs actually looking for a small forward too but they aren't ahead of us anyway

Can anyone explain what draft capital we have at our hands to lure a Warner/Pickett next year? The only extra pick I'm aware of is the F3 we've just nabbed from Richmond, but I'm not too across all this.

Surely we don't have the picks to get it done without trading our 14/30 into next year or am I missing something?
We need to concern ourselves with Warner when and if he becomes available. We have plenty of pieces to make a trade happen and don’t need to go searching for a suite of future firsts.

Warner is out of contract so reasonable price is two firsts and change. We have that.

Yes WC might be end up with two firsts and two seconds in 2025. Big deal. If he chooses WC then they have to strike a deal and Sydney like Richmond will ask for the farm. If we didn’t have Collingwood’s 11 then Richmond would have had to settle for what we do have.

If he chooses Freo then we deal with what we have.

He might choose to stay in Sydney. Pickett might be an option for us and quite frankly I’d prefer Pickett.

We also may have a player that wants to leave. There have been some mentioning Switta wants to get back to Vic at some point. That would likely fetch a decent second round pick.

For now we hit the draft with 14 and 30. We have Richmond’s third reportedly which we must retain because it is as good as a late second. We can use our own F3 to upgrade our current pick 67.

I’m wondering whether we have any interest in Winder as a DFA. Effectively bypassing the need to use a ND selection .

DETAILS OF BOLTON CONTRACT EMERGES

Jon Ralph
Shai Bolton will secure a five-season deal to play at Fremantle under a new contract that will add an extra season to his existing contract.
Bolton was tied to the Tigers until 2028 on a deal that could reap as much as $1.2 million a season for the 25-year-old, but he will get a deal through to 2029.
Richmond will lose the wage of Daniel Rioli, who was only paid about $600,000 this year despite his brilliant Norm Smith Medal form.
The club will also lose Liam Baker’s salary so in the space of 48 hours will lose as much as $2.5 million in salary cap obligations.
bb753ff7b810778f209c077e5787017c
Richmond will get Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton’s salary off their books. Picture: Michael Klein
It will give the Tigers a chance to bank that room or pay some of their players on front-ended deals to create space for later seasons and free agency acquisitions.
Dustin Martin is also coming off a $1.3 million-per-season deal but some of those savings will already have been absorbed in contracts for players like Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.
The Tigers have one more season of a back-ended deal that will pay Tom Lynch $1.5 million next year so will have as much cap space as anyone in the competition in coming years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Possibly - memory isn't quite that good!

But the point stands that a nomination removes other clubs' currency from the equation.
No it doesn't stand! Your example was wrong. All other things being equal had Melbourne had the currency, they would have been his nomination.

DETAILS OF BOLTON CONTRACT EMERGES

Jon Ralph
Shai Bolton will secure a five-season deal to play at Fremantle under a new contract that will add an extra season to his existing contract.
Bolton was tied to the Tigers until 2028 on a deal that could reap as much as $1.2 million a season for the 25-year-old, but he will get a deal through to 2029.
Richmond will lose the wage of Daniel Rioli, who was only paid about $600,000 this year despite his brilliant Norm Smith Medal form.
The club will also lose Liam Baker’s salary so in the space of 48 hours will lose as much as $2.5 million in salary cap obligations.
bb753ff7b810778f209c077e5787017c
Richmond will get Daniel Rioli and Shai Bolton’s salary off their books. Picture: Michael Klein
It will give the Tigers a chance to bank that room or pay some of their players on front-ended deals to create space for later seasons and free agency acquisitions.
Dustin Martin is also coming off a $1.3 million-per-season deal but some of those savings will already have been absorbed in contracts for players like Tim Taranto and Jacob Hopper.
The Tigers have one more season of a back-ended deal that will pay Tom Lynch $1.5 million next year so will have as much cap space as anyone in the competition in coming years.
I know Bolton is a gun but who signed off on giving him 1.2m?

No it doesn't stand! Your example was wrong. All other things being equal had Melbourne had the currency, they would have been his nomination.
IIRC he was leaning Melbourne who didn’t have their first round pick that year (not that it would’ve been a good one), we asked for Dogga and became a quick non starter

Well that's fine as well man.

So Warner goes to the Eagles, good for them. It's a couple of extra bums on seats for the first 12 months of his tenure.

But the shine will soon wear off when he's still not enough to carry them to the finals and we're still consistently making top 4 each year with a forward line that includes Shai Bolton and Kozzie Pickett.

And with another decade of top up players because we didn't give up alllllll of our draft picks for one player resetting our rebuild another 5 years ala the Tim Kelly Trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back