Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be shocked if we don't go either Lindsay or Travaglia before Berry if they are available.
Travaglia's the sort of plug and play option in defence that makes him my number 1 of those options imo (I like Berry as a forward and I like Lindsay for basically everything he does, but Travaglia just offers immediate impact on the team, which is what we should be looking for at this point in the list build)

10&11, 10&18.... who cares. We will still probably pick the same player whether we have pick 11 or 18. If using 10&11 pays for a bunch of salary then get it done and pick the next star at 18. Alex Rance, Daniel Kerr and Luke Shuey were all pick 18s. Fyfe was 20. having pick 11 doesn't automatically get you a better pick than 18 and when Bolton is streaming out the front of our midfield and kicking 45 snags a year, who will be worried about if we picked at pick 11 or pick 18 that year? Imagine we pay 10&18 and bust at 11 only for Richmond to pick a star at 18. People need to lighten up.

10, 11 and 29 for Bolton, 23 and the Tigers future 2nd?
Seriously, I don't see Freo parting with two first rounders. As Walls said, two,Is around the ball park.
Yep, around , but not in the ball park.
I take it by the language by both Walls and Garlick, there is a lot to run in this one, and I am convinced it wont be two firsters.

Seriously, I don't see Freo parting with two first rounders. As Walls said, two,Is around the ball park.
Yep, around , but not in the ball park.
I take it by the language by both Walls and Garlick, there is a lot to run in this one, and I am convinced it wont be two firsters.

I don’t see a possible scenario were we don’t part with 2. Anybody’s guess whether it’s 10/18 or 10/11 but we will not get him cheaper than this

10&11, 10&18.... who cares. We will still probably pick the same player whether we have pick 11 or 18. If using 10&11 pays for a bunch of salary then get it done and pick the next star at 18. Alex Rance, Daniel Kerr and Luke Shuey were all pick 18s. Fyfe was 20. having pick 11 doesn't automatically get you a better pick than 18 and when Bolton is streaming out the front of our midfield and kicking 45 snags a year, who will be worried about if we picked at pick 11 or pick 18 that year? Imagine we pay 10&18 and bust at 11 only for Richmond to pick a star at 18. People need to lighten up.
So why don't you make exactly the same argument but say Richmond has to lighten up? Pick 11, Pick 18, who GAF? Clearly they do matter to both clubs or the deal would have happened by now.

So why don't you make exactly the same argument but say Richmond has to lighten up? Pick 11, Pick 18, who GAF? Clearly they do matter to both clubs or the deal would have happened by now.
fair call. All im saying is everyone is so fixated on winning the deal that it could risk not getting done. The difference between the picks is likely very minimal. If anything at all. Just get it done. Pay the pick, get the salary paid and pick the flying Viking Alexzander Tauru... X-Factor button pushed for Freo!

Travaglia's the sort of plug and play option in defence that makes him my number 1 of those options imo (I like Berry as a forward and I like Lindsay for basically everything he does, but Travaglia just offers immediate impact on the team, which is what we should be looking for at this point in the list build)
For the same reasons I have Lindsay's left boot as very appealing as a mini Hayden Young type half back.

Weekly reminder that Bolton wasn't being considered even after he asked us to come over, because Richmond were keen to keep him.

It wasn't until late in the season when the draft opened up, and we looked like having a juicy pick that this became an option.

Bolton himself wasn't originally expecting anything to happen this year.
That’s not what he told friends

That’s not what he told friends
From middle of the year, I had it as he asked, but was not expecting anything to happen this year.

That changed about 4-6 weeks after the initial discussion to 'deal done, coming home'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bearing in mind I've always said that while my info is pretty close, it comes via an unreliable narrator (teen) who may embellish or not wholly pay attention when adults are speaking.

I don’t see a possible scenario were we don’t part with 2. Anybody’s guess whether it’s 10/18 or 10/11 but we will not get him cheaper than this
I have always said, If we miss, SS. There are plenty of talented footballers out there to get.
It will be a csae of who blinks on the last day, the last hour, the last minute.

For everyone on the "we need to stand firm and give 'em nothing or the club is farked" wagon, how will you honestly feel if we miss out on Bolton?

I don't want to overpay for him, obviously, but the thought of not having him next year while watching our dearth of small/medium forwards spud it up week after week and wondering what could have been if we had moved our offer from pick 18 to pick 10 or whatever the **** it is, makes me feel nauseous.

The potential to overpay on trades is obvious. It's the foremost thought on everyone's mind, every trade period.

However, this year, what keeps me up at night, is the potential opportunity cost of not getting Bolton...even if it means paying slightly more than what we want to.

We haven't spent years building this list to where it is now to miss out on opportunities like this one. Haggle hard Wallsy and keep the bastards honest, but make sure Shai is in purple next year.
Yeah I'd be comfortable watching Bolton unable to lift his team above 2 wins if it mean s not paying 10 and 11. He is absolutely not worth that price, we are not that desperate, we played very well without him this year, we would be better with him but the price is too high.
I would feel pretty nauseous if our pick 11 becomes a Pickett/Butters/NWM who were all around that mark.

fair call. All im saying is everyone is so fixated on winning the deal that it could risk not getting done. The difference between the picks is likely very minimal. If anything at all. Just get it done. Pay the pick, get the salary paid and pick the flying Viking Alexzander Tauru... X-Factor button pushed for Freo!
They ain't keeping Bolton

Yeah I'd be comfortable watching Bolton unable to lift his team above 2 wins if it mean s not paying 10 and 11. He is absolutely not worth that price, we are not that desperate, we played very well without him this year, we would be better with him but the price is too high.
I would feel pretty nauseous if our pick 11 becomes a Pickett/Butters/NWM who were all around that mark.
We are desperate. We definitely will be getting him.

He plays in a team..
Tiges were...bottom four
He plays with us...he will be better...
And we will be better
Yokai!

Pardon the intrusion, I think the addition of Bolton massively improves your tilt at a flag. He is a phenomenal talent and a freakish game changer when surrounded by a very good team. Can be thrown in the middle but its so damaging as a forward. He is almost impossible to tackle and a nightmare to match up on.

This past season he was easy to isolate because he didn't have the talent around him. Any team facing Fremantle next year would have to consider not just Bolton but numerous other threats to nullify as well. That's when Shai can rip things apart.

You can look at your draft hand as something that you understandably do not want to get screwer over on but I think you cannot lose sight of taking the necessary steps to go hard at a flag winning opportunities. Bolton would be an enormous catch and a helluva great fit for your list because Freo are very close to becoming a force.
Fricken ground hog day in here. Are you the same guy with multiple accounts or are you lot sharing talking points? I have read this exact same post every other day in here. Trading with Richmond is doing my head in.

Last edited:
Fricken ground hog day in here. All you the same guy with multiple accounts or are you lot sharing talking points? I have read this exact same post evevy other day here. Trading with Richmond is doing my head in.
Do you have your bingo card ready?

While all the talk is around Bolton wanting to come to us and what we should give up for him, I wouldn't discount the mob down the road swooping in and making a play for him.

I hope it doesn't happen but they would probably be able to offer him more money.

They will have some trade currency and salary relief from Barrass. They could also split their first round pick.

McQualter going there with Baker and Graham as well could entice him.

They desperately want to keep the man child and would not want him to get a flogging each week.

They have been delusional about their list before and they may think they are closer than they are.

It wouldn't be the first time we were gazumped during trading.

I hope I am jumping at shadows because I am a Bolton fan and would love him in our team but I don't think they are totally out of the equation, despite what they are saying publicly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back