Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Thing is I don't think the iron is hot, we still field players such as Fyfe, Walters, Emmett, O'Meara, Banfield (who lost us games at numerous points this year Port and GWS.. they'd have been helpful wins), we still don't really have our second winger.

If we go all in on Bolton there's still other issues we won't tidy up, we will become similar to Port or the Dogs only cracking the top 4 fleetingly and then bow out - if Freo intend to be a powerhouse they need to do it sustainably, so they absolutely need to hold onto one of those three picks when paying for Bolton.

I see this season as a massive opportunity lost. Swans were the best team for almost the whole season and they're weak at both ends of the ground. Pearce comes back from his broken arm without hurting it again we play in a prelim at least IMO.

In 2013-2015 when we were consistently top 4 there were guys like Suban, Zach Clarke, Zach Dawson, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, etc that were role players in our side. There's a place for guys like O'Meara and Banfield that fill a role.

Unfortunately during that 2013-2015 period we timed our run which coincided with one of the best teams ever. There currently isn't that team, but in a couple of years Brisbane, Hawthorn or Gold Coast could potentially be that team.

Shai Bolton is 25, it's not like we're giving early picks for a 29 year old injury plagued Tom Barrass. How many players can have 400 possessions and 40 goals in a season like Bolton?

Lets say we do Bolton for 10 and 18 and go to the draft with 11. It's quite possible that Bolton plays more games in purple than whoever we take at 11.

Matera had that one good season at least, felt Colyer was solid as well in 2021 and 2022.

Kersten was just a bust all around.
That year matera kicked 30 goals we should've made the finals. List was all over the place at that time.
But why bother bringing any of them in during a rebuild? Agreed Colyer wasn’t a complete bust, but he hardly moved the needle.
Colyer was an f4 and a good stop gap. Was never going to be a needle mover.

But why bother bringing any of them in during a rebuild? Agreed Colyer wasn’t a complete bust, but he hardly moved the needle.
I'm a known pro-RTB, so my opinions on this need to be taken with a grain. But I'm also a realist. I think his mistake was not getting his head around the idea that the rule changes didn't allow you slow the game up and have your best players always at the contest. Live contests around the ground have gone through the roof and limited role players get exposed.

I know; but that’s 2 consecutive years without drafting anyone at the top end of the draft. If we do it again (2024), that creates a big hole in the list. Much like we had in 2012-15 before our collapse.

A big part in falling off the cliff was guys like Marcus Drum, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Crozier, Suban being battlers at AFL level after being taken early in the draft. That illustrates that the draft is no guarantee, North Melbourne and Gold Coast have been loading up on picks for a decade.

It’ll happen again though. Same way we had very little from the 2004-7 drafts (almost none), we end up with the same gap but it’ll be 2022-5(?).

Slightly different as the window appears to be opening 2025 rather than 2009, but the same principle applies, at some point we’ll suffer from the choices made for the now over the future.

It depends on how Simpson, Murphy, Draper, etc along with whoever we pick this year develop. Hopefully we unearth 1 or 2 A graders and a couple of B graders from that group.

A big part in falling off the cliff was guys like Marcus Drum, Sutcliffe, Sheridan, Crozier, Suban being battlers at AFL level after being taken early in the draft. That illustrates that the draft is no guarantee, North Melbourne and Gold Coast have been loading up on picks for a decade.
yep, obviously first rounders should have more talent but at the end of the day its how you develop these players. im pretty confident in our ability to develop players, even outside the first round so i dont mind expending some currency on A graders as we are now to tip the scales in our favour right now

Matera had that one good season at least, felt Colyer was solid as well in 2021 and 2022.

Kersten was just a bust all around.

It's easy in hindsight but we brought in too many C graders through that period instead of playing the kids.

WCE are hopefully making the same mistake with Baker and Co.

Wasn’t Marcus drum highly rated at the time?

I rated Suban was very solid until we dropped off.

Drafting Sheridan and Crozier at 11 and 18 (from memory) did cost us once we fell off. I liked Tommy’s run but he cost us another crack at the grad final with that dropped chest mark.

It's easy in hindsight but we brought in too many C graders through that period instead of playing the kids.

Baker is a finishing player not a player to help the rebuild. He would be better for us than them.
Hopefully West Coast think they are closer to rebuilding that they actually are

I'm a known pro-RTB, so my opinions on this need to be taken with a grain. But I'm also a realist. I think his mistake was not getting his head around the idea that the rule changes didn't allow you slow the game up and have your best players always at the contest. Live contests around the ground have gone through the roof and limited role players get exposed.

In 2013 every team that had 15 or more marks inside 50 for a game won the game. Except for Fremantle in the Grand Final where we had 17 marks inside 50 but couldn't kick straight. That's not Ross Lyon's fault, just a bit of stage fright and bad luck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Baker has never been a C Grader and outside of the three mentioned, Reece Conca, Blake Acres and Will Brodie none of the guys we brought in were either. Some might've been a bit old but anyone that says McCarthy, Hamling, Hill, Wilson, Hogan, Lobb, Aish and Clark were anything less than potential A Graders or solid B Graders when we we brought them in is wrong.

The issue for West Coast in regards to Baker is age. No point bringing him in by the time they're rising the ladder he is playing like a C Grader because he's very much on his last legs as an AFL footballer. He could play until he's 35 for all we know but I guess that's the risk West Coast has decided to take.

Last edited:
In 2013 every team that had 15 or more marks inside 50 for a game won the game. Except for Fremantle in the Grand Final where we had 17 marks inside 50 but couldn't kick straight. That's not Ross Lyon's fault, just a bit of stage fright and bad luck.
I'm talking more about 2018/19 here: We pivoted to trading too early and it cost him his job and us a couple of finals series. Flip side is we mostly got lucky with our picks 2019 to 2021 so we likely came out in front.

It’ll happen again though. Same way we had very little from the 2004-7 drafts (almost none), we end up with the same gap but it’ll be 2022-5(?).

Slightly different as the window appears to be opening 2025 rather than 2009, but the same principle applies, at some point we’ll suffer from the choices made for the now over the future.

If that happens, then so be it. Fairly usual practice for premiership winners to then tumble down the ladder a few years later. Our time is now, so we need to be focused on that otherwise Pearce, Ryan, Switta, Darcy, Cox will start dropping off and the "almost there" window will keep rolling over.

Having said that, trading our 1st rounders should only be for top shelf players like Bolton, Warner, Pickett. Not Baker.

Gawd, Sheridan and Crozier were both massive spuds and misses IMO. Neither delivered a farken skerrick on their promise.
Crozier played 140 games of AFL footy and was taken 20 in draft where effectively it was closer to pick 30 due to GWS. He wasn't a spud. Sheridan well: Dunno if he qualifies as a spud, but it's a valid debate.

This has been my point so many times.

You can add Lobb to that list.

You really need a clear picture of when you will be challenging, and ensure all players you bring in will be at the club at the time.

I think people underestimate the value of list space. So many good players come from the rookie list or 2nd tier comps. I would rather take the best WAFL player, than take a known C grader.

We are keen on Baker because he is an excellent player, leader, is in the age bracket we are a little short on, he's versatile, has won multiple flags proving himself on the biggest stage. We could also likely work it so that Richmond pay even more of Bolton's contract to make the two moves work.

Now I'm pretty keen to save currency for Warner/Pickett as well. But people being shocked that we are at least entertaining the Baker option are being a bit dramatic.

Trade period reaching new lows if we are discussing Marcus Drum, Sheridan, Crozier etc. 😂

Wallsy, save us plz.

Just enough with the Baker talk already. Surely you either use pick 11 in the draft or try to on trade to get an F1 for Warner next year? Why are we so keen?

If it makes WC cough up a future first from the Barrass trade it makes it one pick easier for us next season to win the likes of Warner and Pickett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back