Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Lawson Humphries is 21 years old. He’s not even remotely comparable to Jack Delean.

FWIW with late picks drafting players more like Humphries than Delean should be our priority. We do well when we draft mature agers late in the National Draft (beyond pick 45). Only really Walker has worked from the 18 year olds since 2016. Mature ager wise we’ve drafted Ryan, Meek, Switkowski, Jones, Schultz, Bewley, Frederick and Wagner in that period (and Emmett too except earlier than Pick 45).

Sorry. Missed the 18 year old part of your argument because all I was saying is anyone past pick 20 will have done very well to play in what is hopefully a contending side. Obviously there will be examples but there’s no science behind it.

So pick 30 to pick 50? It’s really much of a muchness.

No harm in the mature agers, but you kind of know what you’ll get. I love me a Tendai Mzungu type like everyone, but clubs love a gamble and the 18 year old are simply that. The top 10 you hope just give you better odds.

All the angst on a potential deal!

I don’t care about pick 30 to 51 or whatever it is.
BUT
I’ll be pissed if we facilitate Tigers getting pick 23 and GC points at our expense.

If we’re the 3rd team to allow Rioli deal to proceed, well there’s a price that comes to us. I don’t care if it’s F3s from both of these teams.

10 and 18.
You want 30 to assist your other deals? Sure, but give us your F3 each. And yeah, we’ll take 51 too.
10+18+30 > Bolton, 51, 61
ND: 11, 51, 61, 67

Vs

10+11 > Bolton, 23
ND: 18, 23, 30, 67

I’m not sure what is better to be honest.

And we risk pissing off Bolton.
Firstly I'll say that I want Bolton and I hope a trade gets done. But what does grind my gears just a bit is that a player like Bolton signs a 7 year contract and then wants out halfway through. It just makes it really difficult for everyone.
And Freo or Richmond have to pony up and pay his contract like its worth something when he wants to change it. I can understand with maybe a year or two to go on a contract or some exceptional circumstances changing. And no, kids are exceptional circumstances, most people have them.
Don't sign the contract for that length if you're 24, living with your partner and thinking about having kids. I'm sure they maybe more to it, like Freo after him for a long time. Then Freo have to accept we have limited power.
I know he's good but I've seen this so many times in our history. Probably Mcpharlin is the only player we've brought in that has truly made a long-term difference.
Does anyone know if it's us or Bolton that is the instigator of this trade? Because if it's the club, we're idiots. We'll absolutely be paying overs. His true worth, out of contract, is a late 1st rounder, with maybe a 3rd coming back. Instead we'll end up paying massive overs in a good draft and a big chunk of salary. But yeah, I'd love to know which side started the conversation.

Mundy thinks Barrass to Hawks is unlikely. Did i miss something? Thought their futures would get it done?

Perhaps West Coast think McQualter, Barrass, Graham, Baker and Owies can take them to the promised land in three years. They have Harley Reid the GOAT (according to himself anyway)after all.

Question for those in the know

Are WC mad for trading pick 3 to Carlton for 12 & 14 ?

What’s its value and would Saints 7 & 8 be a better match ( I don’t think they should trade it but just trying to get my head around this ?

No it’s a great move.

That way when Harley goes home they can package 2 other Victorian kids and make a killing with more draft picks….it’s actually genius.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing as 11 could get you 19 and 22 from Swans as minimum you’d probably take the deal which has 11 in it.

Pretty close actually.

Meh, either way!

That's my position too. Hold 11 at the draft and if someone slips from top five, take them, or if someone else thinks someone did - pillage them in trade, if it's two firsts then awesome

Firstly I'll say that I want Bolton and I hope a trade gets done. But what does grind my gears just a bit is that a player like Bolton signs a 7 year contract and then wants out halfway through. It just makes it really difficult for everyone.
And Freo or Richmond have to pony up and pay his contract like its worth something when he wants to change it. I can understand with maybe a year or two to go on a contract or some exceptional circumstances changing. And no, kids are exceptional circumstances, most people have them.
Don't sign the contract for that length if you're 24, living with your partner and thinking about having kids. I'm sure they maybe more to it, like Freo after him for a long time. Then Freo have to accept we have limited power.
I know he's good but I've seen this so many times in our history. Probably Mcpharlin is the only player we've brought in that has truly made a long-term difference.
Does anyone know if it's us or Bolton that is the instigator of this trade? Because if it's the club, we're idiots. We'll absolutely be paying overs. His true worth, out of contract, is a late 1st rounder, with maybe a 3rd coming back. Instead we'll end up paying massive overs in a good draft and a big chunk of salary. But yeah, I'd love to know which side started the conversation.

I get your point, but sadly players these days aren’t signing contracts solely for loyalty.

Theres combinations of $$$, security and a sense of loyalty at the time of signing. Something like ‘I know 7 years is a long time, but if a time comes where we are to part, you’re looked after and we’re looked after’

I do think it all needs revision.

Only a few years ago if a player had 2 years to run on a contract it wasn’t even a possibility to leave a club. Then 1 year to run on a contract started to get broken.

Now we have Bolton or even Clayton with 6 years to run.

It is madness.

It’s why having our guys on long term deals sounds great, but the reality is any one of them could ask to be released for any one of a dozen BS reasons or some genuine.

I'd counter that by saying that Richmond offered him that lengthy contract so they could make it really hard for him to resist signing it (keeping him out of the reach of clubs, ie us, who would've offered him alternate deals). There would've been assurances from the Tigers, no doubt, that they were well placed to stay in contention for the majority (if not all) of that contract.

Richmond should also be held responsible for failing to hold up that end of the bargain.

Those in places of responsibility at Richmond would've been much better placed to understand the likelihood of changed circumstances impacting a long term deal, than a guy in his twenties.

That's my position too. Hold 11 at the draft and if someone slips from top five, take them, or if someone else thinks someone did - pillage them in trade, if it's two firsts then awesome

I’d consider a slide and a F1.
Geelong would be about the limit. 17 + F1
Perhaps a live 1 or 2 position slide plus an F2, but only if we have 3 names on the board and we’re genuinely undecided.

I get your point, but sadly players these days aren’t signing contracts solely for loyalty.

Theres combinations of $$$, security and a sense of loyalty at the time of signing. Something like ‘I know 7 years is a long time, but if a time comes where we are to part, you’re looked after and we’re looked after’

I do think it all needs revision.

Only a few years ago if a player had 2 years to run on a contract it wasn’t even a possibility to leave a club. Then 1 year to run on a contract started to get broken.

Now we have Bolton or even Clayton with 6 years to run.

It is madness.

It’s why having our guys on long term deals sounds great, but the reality is any one of them could ask to be released for any one of a dozen BS reasons or some genuine.
Why is it "madness"?

Why is it "madness"?

Long term deals. Wanting to leave with years remaining. Things like whatever Mac Andrew got which had a clause for a 4 year trigger. Front loaded. Back loaded. Incentive laden.

May as well just draft players to instant 10 year deals. If they want to leave clubs are going to release them anyway.

Free agency. Free agency compensation. Father sons. Academy. Points system bidding. Exchanging picks for points.

I mean, how is it not madness?

Flogmantle running with the story about Shai selling his house in Richmond straight from Big Footy 😂

I also saw he made a story about how North reached out to Fyfe after my joke yesterday about Fyfe contemplating the 4 year North offer.

Was likely tongue in cheek, but written as if it were serious, which who knows, it may have been. Instantly thought - he’s ripped that right off my joke.

I have to love Port for this. Pies popping champagne sending messages to reporters about the deal they are about to fleece "interstate" clubs with and Port go "nup, kidding"

Get ready to learn Kangaroo Houston.

I have to love Port for this. Pies popping champagne sending messages to reporters about the deal they are about to fleece "interstate" clubs with and Port go "nup, kidding"

Get ready to learn Kangaroo Houston.
That's what the pies get for not letting Port wear their true guernseys.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back