Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

We can sign Odin after the draft right? See if Gerryn gets to 30?
I’m not sure that we can. Whilst there is a list lodgement prior to PSD I’m sure there is a requirement to confirm his contract status prior to an earlier November List Lodgement.

I’d say if we’re considering him against other options that we delist with a view to re-select via rookie draft or ask him and a few other KPF to come back for SSP training trial.

Emmett gets a rookie spot. He's got a bit to work with. I see him like Schultz as a slow burn that may take a couple of years then net us Bolton and Cooper Simpson.
What people are forgetting is that the Bolton trade was really the following
10>14, Griffin Logue, Lachie Schultz

Pick 18 came about from the Griffin Logue second round pick and F2. In my opinion the F2 will be cancelled out by the selection we had for Cooper Simpson.

Our ND Selection passed onto Richmond was pick 10 so that slid back to 14. We got pick 11 for Schultz and Cooper (as mentioned above Cooper cancelled out by the F2 we passed onto Port).

So net result
10>14, Logue, Schultz > Bolton

What people are forgetting is that the Bolton trade was really the following
10>14, Griffin Logue, Lachie Schultz

Pick 18 came about from the Griffin Logue second round pick and F2. In my opinion the F2 will be cancelled out by the selection we had for Cooper Simpson.

Our ND Selection passed onto Richmond was pick 10 so that slid back to 14. We got pick 11 for Schultz and Cooper (as mentioned above Cooper cancelled out by the F2 we passed onto Port).

So net result
10>14, Logue, Schultz > Bolton
Still a good result. 2 decent players, one that didn't have a defined role and we covered and the other we directly replaced with Bolton.

Last edited:
Still a good result. 2 decent players, one that didn't have a defined role and we covered and the other we directly replaced with Bolton.
I don’t have a problem with the net result. If we draft well we will get a good player at 10 or 14.

Shai Bolton is only 26 in December
Lachie Schultz is 27 in November

Shai is a more dynamic goal scorer.

We probably should have got a little more from the trade for Logue but you could argue the trade of early F2 and early F3 were really both for Logue (Tucker was offloaded as excess and having his salary removed).

Since Logue has gone we have drafted both Davies and Murphy in the ND. Murphy at around that pick for the F3 secured from the Logue/Tucker trade.

When we needed Logue (due to injuries to Cox/McDonald) coincidentally he was out injured with ACL and we unearthed a more promising KPD prospect better suited to third tall defender role in Josh Draper from Cat-B rookie list . So all in all we are in a better position. Just cost a bit up forward in 2024.

I don’t have a problem with the net result. If we draft well we will get a good player at 10 or 14.

Shai Bolton is only 26 in December
Lachie Schultz is 27 in November

Shai is a more dynamic goal scorer.

We probably should have got a little more from the trade for Logue but you could argue the trade of early F2 and early F3 were really both for Logue (Tucker was offloaded as excess and having his salary removed).

Since Logue has gone we have drafted both Davies and Murphy in the ND. Murphy at around that pick for the F3 secured from the Logue/Tucker trade.

When we needed Logue (due to injuries to Cox/McDonald) coincidentally he was out injured with ACL and we unearthed a more promising KPD prospect better suited to third tall defender role in Josh Draper from Cat-B rookie list . So all in all we are in a better position. Just cost a bit up forward in 2024.
I'm at the stage now where I just want to win a premiership...I don't care if we use everything we've got on 1 player if he fills that need. Pay the price and win the flag.

Haven’t had a chance to comment on the Bolton trade all week. Actually had to do some work this week of all weeks 😂

Overall I think we paid overs, but can understand the logic. Thought walls probably folded slightly when you consider nearly every other deal on Tuesday went to the last half hour and was settled for pretty much the original speculated price.
Tigers would have taken 10 & 18 for sure by 7:10pm on Wednesday.

However a slide from 11 to 14 isn’t too bad when you add the F3, though the hyper inflated values on picks 10-15 in this particular draft make me think we’d be paying a lot more than F3 if we wanted to move up from 14 to 11.
If we’d swapped pick 30 for 24 as well in the overall deal it would have been just about right.

Anyway it is what it is. Down to Bolton now to perform to close to his best - if he does it will be a win for us. No doubting his talent - has he still got that inner drive and desperation that is required to play a big role in a flag win for freo? Time will tell

As for 14 and 30 in the draft, we are clearly looking at forward half talent based on Walls interviews (thankfully) so I think something like Berry or Hannaford at 14 then Hamish Davies or Datolli at 30 is likely. Hopefully we’ll have a pick in the late 50s too.

The F3 of Richmond could be very handy if we get to pick 25/26 on draft night and there’s someone on the board we can trade up for from 30 using the F3.

I agree, I think we paid slight overs for Bolton. Richmond played the game well, they knew how desperate we were to get him, so were always been confident we would cough up.

Still happy with the result. It was either that or spend another season bemoaning the lack of goalkicking small forwards.

I’m not sure that we can. Whilst there is a list lodgement prior to PSD I’m sure there is a requirement to confirm his contract status prior to an earlier November List Lodgement.

I’d say if we’re considering him against other options that we delist with a view to re-select via rookie draft or ask him and a few other KPF to come back for SSP training trial.

We’ll just delist and rookie list him (if we can’t find a better prospect) if that’s what we want to do.

Plenty of rookies are delisted then picked up again in the rookie draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back