Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

If anything, keep a list spot open.
Invite him to train in pre season, against a few others.
Decide in Feb who, if anyone, gets the spot.

If he earns it, he earns it. Otherwise, no thanks
You can only trial two players per list spot.

This isn't a very strong draft if he's one of those two options. Everyone's saying this is a strong draft...

I can't see how he's possibly the best player available. Even the mob down the road have already delisted better players (yes, I'm genuinely serious).

Yes and very much so

Narkle is genuinely one of the worst players I've seen play AFL. I'm very comfortable saying he's the worst player I've seen play finals but I've probably seen worse players play for lower teams.

Saying he's more competent than Emmett is ridiculous. It's like some on here haven't seen him play. They aren't missing much tbf.

He meant south Fremantle. Right?
Exactly what I was thinking.

Don’t know what you’ve seen to think he offers more than Emmett. Then you could throw in the age gap as well which only adds to the level of stupidity it’d be picking him up.
100%

I agree Emmett unlikely to be anything but depth but he’s head and shoulders above farkin sparkle

Also I ve mentioned it before but Schultz looked ridiculously ordinary in his first few years , not saying Tom will reach that level but he has shown some decent enough traits to suggest he’s worth persevering with a bit longer, particularly in an area of need .

And as for the age let’s remember this bloke had fair bit of development stall getting treated for and overcoming cancer - reckon people underestimate how big a toll that can and does take .

It’s not like an ACL etc where you know eventually you ll come good .
With the big C Theres always the prospect you ll never get over it /it can return at any time

What if Port signed Narkle as a midseason pick with the hope of luring Pickett end of 2023 or 2024 - but that hasn't eventuated so Narkle is moving onto the next hopeful club.
Thought his extension coincided with Spp’s didn’t it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder if Tom Clurey, also delisted by Port while contracted, is going to end up at WC to serve as a key defender stop gap while others build up.

I’d like us to take 4 in the draft if possible.
Keep hearing this narrative that our list build is complete.

Its not.

If we want to try have a “decade of dominance” (an unlikely outcome for a club like Freo) well then we better start looking at getting in more young talent each year.
If you wanna be like Geelong and Brisbane and those teams, you have to keep adding new young talent every year.
We have already sat out of two drafts since 2021 and right now the only player born after 2003 on the list that I’m very confident is a long term AFL player is Josh Draper.
Hopefully pick 14 is a hit too this year.

Everyone else drafted in 2022 and 2023 are 50:50 prospects or long shots.
If we were to add the 2024 draft to that list it suddenly starts to create a bit of a gap in talent in that age bracket.
If we can get two good AFL players with pick 14 and 30 we will be laughing but I think that’s unlikely.

I see us in a similar spot in this draft to 2018 and 2020.
2018:
Pick 17 - Sturt (slow burn but cautious ✅)
Pick 32 - Valente ❌
Pick 57 - Schultz ✅
Pick 58 - Bewley ❌

2020:
Pick 14 - Chapman ✅
Pick 28 - NOD ❓❓
Pick 51 - Walker ✅
Pick 54 - Western ❌

I’d gladly settle for 4 picks again this year with two hits and two misses.

As for Narkle? Think you can already put a ❌ beside him in terms of a long term contribution to the team. Hardly worth it

I’d like us to take 4 in the draft if possible.
Keep hearing this narrative that our list build is complete.

Its not.

If we want to try have a “decade of dominance” (an unlikely outcome for a club like Freo) well then we better start looking at getting in more young talent each year.
If you wanna be like Geelong and Brisbane and those teams, you have to keep adding new young talent every year.
We have already sat out of two drafts since 2021 and right now the only player born after 2003 on the list that I’m very confident is a long term AFL player is Josh Draper.
Hopefully pick 14 is a hit too this year.

Everyone else drafted in 2022 and 2023 are 50:50 prospects or long shots.
If we were to add the 2024 draft to that list it suddenly starts to create a bit of a gap in talent in that age bracket.
If we can get two good AFL players with pick 14 and 30 we will be laughing but I think that’s unlikely.

I see us in a similar spot in this draft to 2018 and 2020.
2018:
Pick 17 - Sturt (slow burn but cautious ✅)
Pick 32 - Valente ❌
Pick 57 - Schultz ✅
Pick 58 - Bewley ❌

2020:
Pick 14 - Chapman ✅
Pick 28 - NOD ❓❓
Pick 51 - Walker ✅
Pick 54 - Western ❌

I’d gladly settle for 4 picks again this year with two hits and two misses.

As for Narkle? Think you can already put a ❌ beside him in terms of a long term contribution to the team. Hardly worth it
I think we'll bring in more than four next year so I'm happy enough to have a down year in that regard, especially if one of the Irish boys comes in on top of that.

We'll probably need to utilise the MSD and SSP next year tbh. Fyfe and Walters retiring and it's not hard to pinpoint 3-4 other likely delistings.

Narkle is better than Emmet though. Emmett had trouble bouncing the ball in that game against Collingwood.
Feels like every team's supporters thinks they have the worst player.

Two things:
  • There's much worse players than Emmett
  • I don't even need to go to the Port board to know how much of a joke their fans think us picking up Narkle would be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back