Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Sparkle is the stabliest of ponies you'll ever see. Same management as Bolton...
Yea but whytf would Bolten need a stable pony?
they’re only required for interstate draftees to help them settle - se Tom north and that bloke WC got for their wafl team for Harley.
Boltens come back because this is where he WANTS to settle

Makes zero sense

Yea but whytf would Bolten need a stable pony?
they’re only required for interstate draftees to help them settle - se Tom north and that bloke WC got for their wafl team for Harley.
Boltens come back because this is where he WANTS to settle

Makes zero sense
I'm going off the deep end a bit but I can see a world where Bolton and his management said yeah, he'll take a pay cut, but Narkle needs a gig or legit we got him to basically force Pickett to shit or get off the can next year.

Bolton is great and I'm pumped we have him but my point was if nothing changes from this season and we produce similar performance but with Bolton in the team we won't go far. Need improvement across the board to win that stupid cup.

But if we get that with Bolton added to the mix doing things no one else on the list can do. Well then the sky is the limit and we are as good a shout as anyone.

But this is the whole point. With Shai in there we are significantly improved from this year and we can all identify a few games we would have won with Shai. That corrupt Carlton debacle in Adelaide for a start.

Something absolutely extraordinary would have to happen for nothing to have changed from this year; It’s inconceivable to me with the addition of Shai.

Pony Moonwalk GIF

Bolton and narkle 2025

(Narkle is backing his way down to peel)

I know it’s heresy to say it around here but I would have Bolton well ahead of Pickett as a player. I would also say that stengle is at a different level to Pickett.
They are all fine players no question, but the others are already AA players.
Bolton is an all round better player than Pickett, while stengle is a classier pure small forward and kicks more goals and less behinds. Toby Greene is also a much superior player to kozzie though his best is probably now behind him.

Dont get me wrong I think Pickett is a very good player, but I doubt he ever makes an AA team in his career. He burns a lot of shots on goal - in particular I recall some horrendous finishing and execution of shots late in that classic qualifying final last season v Collingwood at the G that the dees narrowly lost but should really have won.

I’d gladly take him at freo but I think pick 10 or 11 alone, would be more than enough to pay in draft capital.
Two firsts would be a significant overpay in my view.

I have no argument with you about Kozzie’s talent but he is nowhere near Shai’s talent.
I’ve seen Kozzie kick goals that can only be described as straight out of his arse, read Fluke.
But the ball came off his boot.

Bonaparte once said , given the choice of a great general or a lucky one give me the lucky one.

Kozzie impact is around goals and that’s okay, lucky or not. Shai Bolton is all the brilliant, extra skill
We need at Freo.

Who’s to say Kozzie’s luck won’t run out at Fremantle. Shai Bolton makes his own.

I’d like us to take 4 in the draft if possible.
Keep hearing this narrative that our list build is complete.

Its not.

If we want to try have a “decade of dominance” (an unlikely outcome for a club like Freo) well then we better start looking at getting in more young talent each year.
If you wanna be like Geelong and Brisbane and those teams, you have to keep adding new young talent every year.
We have already sat out of two drafts since 2021 and right now the only player born after 2003 on the list that I’m very confident is a long term AFL player is Josh Draper.
Hopefully pick 14 is a hit too this year.

Everyone else drafted in 2022 and 2023 are 50:50 prospects or long shots.
If we were to add the 2024 draft to that list it suddenly starts to create a bit of a gap in talent in that age bracket.
If we can get two good AFL players with pick 14 and 30 we will be laughing but I think that’s unlikely.

I see us in a similar spot in this draft to 2018 and 2020.
2018:
Pick 17 - Sturt (slow burn but cautious ✅)
Pick 32 - Valente ❌
Pick 57 - Schultz ✅
Pick 58 - Bewley ❌

2020:
Pick 14 - Chapman ✅
Pick 28 - NOD ❓❓
Pick 51 - Walker ✅
Pick 54 - Western ❌

I’d gladly settle for 4 picks again this year with two hits and two misses.

As for Narkle? Think you can already put a ❌ beside him in terms of a long term contribution to the team. Hardly worth it

We are at the point now where there is a balance of trade ins and draftees.
Walls has already stated he took calls from several players enquiring about chances of coming to Freo.
David Walls said and I quote. “ we are now a destination club “. Many of us , myself included read that as Chad and Kozzie are keen to join us. We aren’t about to reject them for draftees at this stage.

If we got Narkle, it would 100% be about keeping Bolton happy and/or getting Pickett. Bolton and Narkle are very close friends all the way back to school days. Powell-Pepper as well. I forgot how Pickett and Narkle are connected ... but it gets brought up a bit. Are they related? Or something to do with their partners?

If we got Narkle, it would 100% be about keeping Bolton happy and/or getting Pickett. Bolton and Narkle are very close friends all the way back to school days. Powell-Pepper as well. I forgot how Pickett and Narkle are connected ... but it gets brought up a bit. Are they related? Or something to do with their partners?
Partners are sisters I believe. All 3 of them have young children around similar ages.

Shai gets to bring along a buddy, first Jack Martin and now Narkle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d like us to take 4 in the draft if possible.
Keep hearing this narrative that our list build is complete.

Its not.

If we want to try have a “decade of dominance” (an unlikely outcome for a club like Freo) well then we better start looking at getting in more young talent each year.
If you wanna be like Geelong and Brisbane and those teams, you have to keep adding new young talent every year.
We have already sat out of two drafts since 2021 and right now the only player born after 2003 on the list that I’m very confident is a long term AFL player is Josh Draper.
Hopefully pick 14 is a hit too this year.

Everyone else drafted in 2022 and 2023 are 50:50 prospects or long shots.
If we were to add the 2024 draft to that list it suddenly starts to create a bit of a gap in talent in that age bracket.
If we can get two good AFL players with pick 14 and 30 we will be laughing but I think that’s unlikely.

I see us in a similar spot in this draft to 2018 and 2020.
2018:
Pick 17 - Sturt (slow burn but cautious ✅)
Pick 32 - Valente ❌
Pick 57 - Schultz ✅
Pick 58 - Bewley ❌

2020:
Pick 14 - Chapman ✅
Pick 28 - NOD ❓❓
Pick 51 - Walker ✅
Pick 54 - Western ❌

I’d gladly settle for 4 picks again this year with two hits and two misses.

As for Narkle? Think you can already put a ❌ beside him in terms of a long term contribution to the team. Hardly worth it
We had three hits in 2020 since we landed Treacy as well & NOD still a work in progress.

2 AFL players a year is fine, sometimes you get more, sometimes less. We also just traded in an A grader so getting 1 hit will keep any cliffs away for a while yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Game Day 2024 Trade Period

Remove this Banner Ad

Back