List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I have been told from an ITK at the Hawks not necessary gospel but he usually knows some thing, Battles contract is front ended so they have money for their younger players in a couple of years which apparently help us when working out compensation, there was never an upped offer from St Kilda late and he was generally torn right to the end.

I don't think we did him dirty, offered a decent contract without breaking the bank knowing we need a war chest to entice the elite midfielders (which may never happen) and that when it comes to contracts on that sort of money 50 grand more isn't going to move a player more then the other teams list and potential final chances. Also I think no matter how old you are being courted by your boyhood club would make a difference.
Additionally If we get band 1,2 or whatever it has nothing to do with Battle, he is no dog, turncoat or some of the other names I have seen thrown around on social media, he played his very best right to the end for us and I thank him for his time with us and wish him well. The AFL needs to be transparent about the compensation system or scrap it altogether so there isn't a blame game when it doesn't go how someone wants.
Finally be mindful of what we are going through when talk about trying to pry LDU out of North which is probably even harder for him as he was helped out a lot by the club as he delt with the lose of his Dad and that he is seen by some as a possible future captain. Money isn't always the main factor when it comes to what's best for your and/or your family.

tumblr_odcngfSP7j1qzcy2po6_250.gif
If we don't get band 1 Battle has done the dirty on us, don't care how you spin it and why would John Ralph make up we had offered more.
Hawthorn ITK says it all really, spinning to make the Hawks and Battle look like angels.
Well he will be a dog if he has screwed us. Will wish him.ill.

Edit: This is not supposed to be taken seriously.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
If we don't get band 1 Battle has done the dirty on us, don't care how you spin it and why would John Ralph make up we had offered more.
Hawthorn ITK says it all really, spinning to make the Hawks and Battle look like angels.

Is this post a parody or serious?

Still think we should go hard after Neil Erasmus at freo. Virtually can't break into there midfield with serong, Brayshaw, young etc.
Dominating all year at wafl level. Big body with strong contested ball winning game. Skills a bit sloppy. top 10 pick in 2021 draft. He is a WA boy so unsure if he will want to come, but if he gets stuck playing twos for much longer he might miss his chance. Reminds me so much of Steele when we grabbed him all those years ago.

Really good post. The whole 'Saints offered another 50 grand at the 11th hour' didn't pass the sniff test for me. A Tom Morris special he hates our guts, it's always him leading with the cheap shot stories. I wouldn't think an organisation the size of St Kilda would be fluffing about with 50k, like they'd be well across things.

I wouldn't know but great to hear the front-end might help the compo, personally I don't think Battle was torn to the end at all but I also hold no grudges against the guy, gave his all, just put in a ripping season, taking the opportunity when it arises. We've likely turned pick 36 into a top 10 pick, take the W and move on! You never know what happens in the future either, he might have just peaked and we could be looking at drafting a 200 game gun midfielder.
Front ending doesn't help the compo. It is based on the average yearly over the length of the contract.

As for us supposedly panicking and offering more at the last moment, people need to remember its an auction.

No one in their right mind offers $1.0M as the first bid at an auction on a house the agents have said is worth around $700K.

We bid, we then found out what the market was prepared to pay, we then put in our final bid. Pretty normal process.

Based on the figures being talked about it will be Band 1 compo.

Last edited:
Can anyone objectively summarise the role Battle played?

All I can summise is that he was agile and solid, strong in a contest, but had no leap and was not a good spolier.

Did not play tall for his height. Solid hands but no magic touch like Hill and Nas.

Bonus question, who among the remaining defenders including at Sandy, offers these traits?
Who knows but it’s a chance for guys to step up.

Front ending doesn't help the compo. It is based on the average yearly over the length of the contract.

As for us supposedly panicking and offering more at the last moment, people need to remember its an auction.

No one in their right mind offers $1.0M as the first bid at an auction on a house the agents have said is worth around $700K.

We bid, we then found out what the market was prepared to pay, we then put in our final bid. Pretty normal process.

depends on the length of the deal, because the new FA rules say compo os only based off money earned over 5 years max. so of Battle has a 6year deal and it's front loaded for, then it should work in our favour

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Maybe the club saw enough in Arie Schoenmaker as a ready made replacement for Josh Battle, knowing that Battle was torn between two loves & with us hopefully getting Band 1, thought it was the perfect chance to get another high draft pick.
I know Arie only has had the 4 games & I know stats don’t tell everything, but with a solid preseason & confidence in knowing his role, he could be well on the way to fulfilling that role for at least the next four years.

View attachment 2096261
He is 19 years old , I hope he has more than 4 years left in him

It will if it is front ended because they only take into account 5 years. He got 6

When will we know for sure the compo pick? Sad to see battle go, liked him from the start but hoping schooner can pick up the slack, or the hammer if membrey sticks around.

This is so ****ing stupid.

Is this post a parody or serious?
Both. It is a serious parody. A shame you picked it up so early, you have spoiled the surprised

It's football, Battle can do what he likes, if we really wanted him, maybe not hawk him about, then we he says, stuff that, I'm off to the Hawks, attempt at the last minute to give him more money.

Really don't blame him. The one thing this supposed itk said makes no sense though.
Wont matter if it is forward loaded, the compo is based on length of contract and the money involved ( plus age). So I thi know the itk actually is making stuff up.

Both. It is a serious parody. A shame you picked it up so early, you have spoiled the surprised

It's football, Battle can do what he likes, if we really wanted him, maybe not hawk him about, then we he says, stuff that, I'm off to the Hawks, attempt at the last minute to give him more money.

Really don't blame him. The one thing this supposed itk said makes no sense though.
Wont matter if it is forward loaded, the compo is based on length of contract and the money involved ( plus age). So I thi know the itk actually is making stuff up.

What most of the ITKs tend to do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can anyone objectively summarise the role Battle played?

All I can summise is that he was agile and solid, strong in a contest, but had no leap and was not a good spolier.

Did not play tall for his height. Solid hands but no magic touch like Hill and Nas.

Bonus question, who among the remaining defenders including at Sandy, offers these traits?
Highly rated for his intercept and contested marking. Rarely beaten by his opponent. Lovely penetrating kick.

Weakness was he probably wasn’t great below his knees.

This is so ****ing stupid.
If you have read anything I have written on the subject, apart from.a throwaway line when I posted John Ralph's post, I have always said it was up to Battle then found out from reliable source that we have shopped him about, I could see why he was going.
Don't mind shopping currency just the execution.
The post you quoted was done in jest, obviously sounded serious, probably should have emoji'ed it. If it didn't hit I apologise.

What most of the ITKs tend to do.
Others have said it compo is taken over 5 years, so if it is 6 year deal maybe it is correct.
Let's hope so. Only thing that will be any decent compensation will be pick 1. Hugely disappointed we lost Battle.

Spot on. Think about applying for any job, pay is usually the last thing finalised and rarely is the first number the final number. I don't understand why anyone thinks Saints making a final offer is somehow a slur on the Saints? It is BAU.

Others have said it compo is taken over 5 years, so if it is 6 year deal maybe it is correct.
Let's hope so. Only thing that will be any decent compensation will be pick 1. Hugely disappointed we lost Battle.

Reality is no one really knows. Length and dollars are taken into account but there’s no matrix or guidelines that we know of.

Josh has zero obligation to us to maximize our compo, played his heart out for 7 years getting ****ed about for the first 4-5 positionally and from many accounts was dangled at the start of the year.

I’m not gonna tell people not to pot him cause who gives a shit what a bunch of blokes behind keyboards think but I wish him all the best and have nothing but respect for the decision he’s made. We’ll do the exact same thing when we go for Ldu or whoever next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back