List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Reality is no one really knows. Length and dollars are taken into account but there’s no matrix or guidelines that we know of.

Josh has zero obligation to us to maximize our compo, played his heart out for 7 years getting ****ed about for the first 4-5 positionally and from many accounts was dangled at the start of the year.

I’m not gonna tell people not to pot him cause who gives a shit what a bunch of blokes behind keyboards think but I wish him all the best and have nothing but respect for the decision he’s made. We’ll do the exact same thing when we go for Ldu or whoever next year.

Stop your nonsense

Josh Battle is da debbil

Can anyone objectively summarise the role Battle played?

All I can summise is that he was agile and solid, strong in a contest, but had no leap and was not a good spolier.

Did not play tall for his height. Solid hands but no magic touch like Hill and Nas.

Bonus question, who among the remaining defenders including at Sandy, offers these traits?
It's a fair point you're making. Battle was very dependable, didn't shirk a contest, very rarely made errors with ball in hand, but he is no superstar and was somewhat limited in his ability to play on large key backs. His intercept marking is very good but not elite.

All in all, he is several rungs below Wilkie in quality.

I think we'll be able to cover the loss. Maybe not a like for like, but it doesn't have to be. Third tall defenders are fairly replaceable as a general rule and a lot of unsuccessful talls can often thrive in that role (e.g. Liam Jones, Rory Lobb, Paddy McCartin).

Well, I hope you’re wrong. But appreciate that you’ve given some guidance.
Nah I hope I'm right.

Battle will be rated as 10 extra points based on his age and the maximum extra points based on length of contract. (Lets say one point for 3 years, 3 points for 4 and 5 points for 5 years)

So gives him 15 extra points. Thats a much better outcome for us than a slightly front ended contract.

This is the article that explains the compo rules the best and it says then even 2 extra points could move a player 10 spots up the ranking ladder.

And remember that since this article how the length of contract affects compo has been changed in our favour.

Last edited:
the saltiest of the saltiest, Purple, thinks it will he band one.

geez, some glass houses over this one haha
View attachment 2096296

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Barrett really is a piece of work.

We don’t deserve first round compensation for losing a 25 year old intercepting defender, who we developed, at the peak of his powers, to a club challenging in finals?

Despite the fact we don’t get the benefits of the Northern Academies, don’t ever benefit from Father and Sons, had a terrible fixture this year, and have not received any charity that a club like North has received, despite having a 60 year Premiership drought.

The AFL spin machine is just putrid. Representative of the rancid integrity of that organisation.

Steady on Sunshine...Adelaide is a better city than Melbourne, I have lived in both and Hobart as well. Adelaideans are very happy that Melbournenites are continually drunk on their own bath water...it help keeps the Riff Raff out of the state...btw the coffee is better in Adelaide too...sorry to burst your bubble, oh and the wine and the beer and the beaches...oh and they have Gather round as well, and the super cars in the city, and the one of the best festivals in the world it runs for 2 weeks. every Feb. and the Yorke peninsula, and Kangaroo Island, and the Flinders ranges and the Adelaide Hills, you really need to get more old mate!!
Seconded. I only remain in Vic because it pays me the best in my industry, and has the best leave/superannuation.

Although even that is starting to lose its advantage.

Canberra clear stand out though. AKA, Gods Country

We don’t deserve first round compensation for losing a 25 year old intercepting defender, who we developed, at the peak of his powers, to a club challenging in finals?

Despite the fact we don’t get the benefits of the Northern Academies, don’t ever benefit from Father and Sons, had a terrible fixture this year, and have not received any charity that a club like North has received, despite having a 60 year Premiership drought.

The AFL spin machine is just putrid. Representative of the rancid integrity of that organisation.
He's right we deserve 2 first round compensation picks, we haven't won a flag since 66 & played in 2 finals series in 13 years, we need a break like North did.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrett is a total campaigner.
Interprets anything in the most negative way when it comes to StKilda.
Sucks off any of the big clubs.
He is a prime AFL lap dog....Damo , go prepare the footy public for us to **** StKilda over FA compo,

Best half back line in the league

Wilkie Howard Schoenmaker

NWM Houston Sinclair

Hill McCrae Wood

Henry King Owens

Higgins Sharman Caminiti

Marshall, Steele, Phillipou

Wilson, Clark, Windhager, Webster

Sub: pick #7, Pick # 8, Hugo, Jones,, Stocker, Hastie, Collard, Butler, Dow

Next year: LDU
Don't forget Clarry and Melb's first pick. 🤙

This is where purple is stupid

It’s not a matter of deserving

Always makes me laugh when I read players gave their best or played their hearts out.

It is their job that they get paid a lot of money for, giving their best should be an expectation not a badge of honour .

No issue with Battle going it is a business , but he is now an opposition player so hope he plays like a busted ass.

Thank you Sir. Well said.

Battle was a paid professional plying his trade. He did what he was paid to do. His decision to leave is him simply looking after himself. That’s fair enough.

But he doesn’t give two hoots about the club like we do. His vacuous statement about going to a club that suits his family is proof of that. In fact as a supporter that loves my club I really didn’t like reading that.

The reality is before Lyon became coach Battle was a very ordinary footballer. Not elite at anything and slow over the ground. Clumsy below his knees and something of a liability in general play. Very much a fringe player.

Lyon found a role that suited him. Exploited his strengths and surrounded him with players who covered his weaknesses. Good luck to him. He has carved a niche for himself that he is very good at. But Battle owes much of his new found success to Ross Lyon.

Battle will be replaced because Lyon and Enright are great at developing defensive talent. It won’t be Schoenmaker who I see as an attacking flanker/winger, but someone else will be quickly found.

We will be fine. But let’s call a spade a spade. Josh Battle leaves no legacy at St Kilda other than as a player who made a great contribution for a short period and left us at his prime.

Would be disappointed if the AFL can't manipulate it and just give us a first rounder.

We clearly need some extra talent around the middle, our under 25 core is pretty good, let us add some extras into that before tassie comes in.

AFL is so desperate for equalisation, just give us a first and be done with it.

Norf have been given so much charity for being a basketcase for a decade. We've been mid pack for 6-7 years and get absolutely dick for it.

Not copping a first for Battle on the back of Norf getting one for McKay on top of all their other bonuses AND with tassie coming in will just about do me.

Smaller clubs like us struggle to get the big FA's unless we chronically overpay.

With Battle, we drafted someone in the late 30's, gave him 8 years of development and he's developed into a genuinely good player... good enough that we were prepared to offer him $950k.. only to for him to walk to a bigger club for less.

End of the day, if we don't end up with a first rounder, all we are is a feeder club for the big clubs and we just get to go back to the draft and hope we can find another Josh Battle to eventually sell off at the farmers market in 10 years.
AFL certainly owes us one after changing NGA rules just long enough to cost us McKenzie... Pricks.

I just think he wanted to go to Hawthorn.

I'm thinking more commercial side of business, frankly we kinda suck at third party deals so when Batts rolled out the "best for the fam" line it was "how many farms, and do you like the smell of methane?".

The funny thing is he said we don't deserve a first round compo then proceeds to say on Hawthorn's sliding door that the hawks have picked up a gun defender in Battle.

**** this guy.

Was he saying the same thing about Ben McKay.

Idiot

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back