List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure. But at 195cm, he could work as that third tall for us knowing Wilkie does fine playing undersized.
I’m all for it.

In a hypothetical world. If you landed pick 8 + JL

For Battle + pick 24

They have hit a home run there.

I’m all for it.

In a hypothetical world. If you landed pick 8 + JL

For Battle + pick 24

They have hit a home run there.

Luko would be an amazing get for a pick in the 20’s.

He’s been thrown around everywhere position wise… once he is allowed to settle he’ll be a bonefide star.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Key position pair Tim Membrey and Dougal Howard are both out of contract currently at St Kilda as the Saints work through a huge list of players needing new deals.

Howard is in talks with the Saints to lock in a new deal as the club has a clearer picture of its defence following Battle’s defection to the Hawks.

Key position pair Tim Membrey and Dougal Howard are both out of contract currently at St Kilda as the Saints work through a huge list of players needing new deals.

Howard is in talks with the Saints to lock in a new deal as the club has a clearer picture of its defence following Battle’s defection to the Hawks.

So it was always one of the 2 going

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought the last recruiter was a genius

He only had a couple of drafts as our head recruiter. None except maybe Van Es was his. Think all were Trout and Libba.

We measure success on finals. He's pretty much mirrored Ratts so far. He's played plenty of youth but also has had much better youth to work with. I rate Lyon but he has to move us forward quickly or we are better off starting to phase into someone younger before the older crew start to fall over.

Try to win some finals and hit the competition with the kind of energy that some of the younger up and going coaches have. We don't want the Rodney Eade Bulldogs. We want to start climbing up the ladder and challenging.

Not sure the game plan is definitively better than last year, again mirrors this year. Played some good footy that won us games, had long flat spots that destroyed momentum etc. He gets an injury let off of but he doesn't get it forever.

At the end of the day we can't just accept the long slow rebuild chipping off players to buy him time. He's an employee that has to meet expected targets or piss off. I hope he wins us a flag but if he's not pushing us towards one quickly he's not the right guy.

Comparison to Ratts

• Hill playing much better instead of wanting to leave
  • no gifts to other club players, eg Howe
  • AA to Sinclair and Wilkie last year.

Apparently he is open to a vic club and suns would take as little as a decent second round pick

Lukosius is a good player but is he a list need - given how well Sharman played late in the year? Although he did kick 39 goals last year. I guess GCS will be happy to get his salary off their books, we could stretch his contract over a longer period? We must have the the cap space given our final offer to Battle.

He could play the 2nd/3rd tall forward role, which may mean Caminiti moves to CHB. Rotate him, Sharman and Max through FF & CHF to keep Max moving. Plus some where in amongst all that we need a tall forward who can chop out in the ruck. I wouldnt be giving up any of our 1st round picks for him though.

If the AFL hand over a 2nd for Membrey compensation it would make the trade much easier.

Last edited:
First three I agree with, not sure it works for marquee games - if we played against North on Anzac Day I highly doubt there would be even 40k there let alone a full stadium.
It shouldn’t matter.
Equalisation should be paramount to the afl. They should be working their rings out to bring the smaller clubs up to level. It would eventually result in a lot more marquee games and blockbusters.
I stick by my guns still that the current marquee games should be shared between the previous years finalists.

He's had two seasons. Two. To pretty much re-build a list.
Both seasons impacted significantly by injuries to important players.

Some might say he's over-achieved with the list we've had and who we've had available.
No one outside the club rates our list - but you're expecting Lyon to get us to finals yesterday.
Agree, he's had better youth - but most of these have been playing for less than 3 years. So, in other words he got them raw.

We're all impatient, I get it. But it is a work in progress - which IS making progress, most of us can see it - and the reason Ross was given 4 years.

We have to stop with this sack the coach every two years mentality. We gave Richo SIX years FFS. And they are chalk and cheese as coaches.

We need to get things right. We kept Richo so long he's our third longest serving coach and Trout was kept for longer than most successful recruiters. We need to start making things work. 15 year rebuilds can become 20 year rebuilds quite quickly.

Richo never had a list because they had shit recruiters. Lyon is a good coach and better than Richo but a little bit better isn't what we want.

We have recently sacked our best recruiter since Bevo. It was meant to be challenge time next year. Now it's indefinite. We will see another whole generation go by at this rate.

The list isn't rated because we are seen as perennial losers because if we plays finals we shit the bed the next year.

Both are still elite runners and the club would have all the performance stats that matter.
Hill is a Burgoyne type and Wood is like a 26 y.o because he was injured so much. Fit as anyone at the club and is a magnificent mentor by all accounts.
Does anyone know Sharman's status? Surely we lock him away?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
cooper signed til end of 2025

Lukosius is a bruise free third tall who doesn’t want to play defense. Don’t be fooled by the pick he went at, he’s a bust. One of the many “next Nick Riewoldt’s” that don’t work out.

Collingwood: Moore, Daicos x 2, Quaynor (NGA)
Doggies: Darcy, Ugle-Hagan, Croft

No accident they were able to rebuild on the fly.

There's very little more important to the integrity of the league and any chance of our success than killing the Father-Son rule and the academies, digging them up, and killing them a second time. The rules are so egregious we need to go full Oliver Cromwell on their backsides.

Darcy, UH and Croft have hardly done anything yet. They keep drafting well and refreshing the list. They won a premiership and cut back hard and went again. Played off in another GF and refreshed hard again. Probably jump us again with a third rebuild before we've finished one.

Collingwood also lost good players and rather than complain they found lots of players from other clubs being under utilised and state league talent. They have all had handy bonuses but that's not why they are good. They both get most things right with drafting and list management.

The way the Saints fans whine about how hard it all is while the club has been doing **** all to improve our own lot is embarrassing. We deliberately starved the footy department out and keep incompetent staff as long as no-one complained.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back