List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

If that draft taught us anything it was not to put needs ahead of best available.
None of us on BigFooty wanted Naughton but its who we should have got.

Worpel the player we should have got instead of Clavarino. ( And we might have if we'd taken Naughton thinking that he was a defender ).
For all we know, we did rate Coffield ahead of Naughton and did take 'best available'.

For all we know, we did rate Coffield ahead of Naughton and did take 'best available'.

True, it was Elshaug at the helm after all.

My memory is that most of US on bigfooty were happy, because Clark was the best mid, and Coffield had very good skills with potential for mid. There were a few sourpusses because we didn't get Bonar.

True, it was Elshaug at the helm after all.

My memory is that most of US on bigfooty were happy, because Clark was the best mid, and Coffield had very good skills with potential for mid. There were a few sourpusses because we didn't get Bonar.
That sounds about right. Aside from Bonar, Higgins is the only other first rounder taken after our picks I recall a lot of conversation about.

I know it's the wrong answer but I'd take the risk of getting him for free in 12 months and keep the first rounders.

A bird in the hand…

That sounds about right. Aside from Bonar, Higgins is the only other first rounder taken after our picks I recall a lot of conversation about.
Coffield came from nowhere similar to how Bont did, goes to show its not a given.

Fogarty was the other one. Aaron was a defender with an iffy kick. Bonar was the one everyone on here was keen on. The hope was that Stephenson's heart issue meant he got to us, but it wasn't to be. Worpel had huge questions re his disposal, it's the old issue that you worry too much about what he is bad at and not what he is elite at.

Personally, I was in love with possibly everyone taken before our picks. It was one of those drafts where we were just off that upper echelon of players. Either way, our picks made enough sense at the time.

In hindsight, we missed a few rucks taken (De Koning, Xerri, Meek) but there were more misses than hits in that draft.

Is it shallow? We have 15 guys on our list now aged 21 or under and will likely add another 5-6 teenagers in this draft. I'm just wondering if we're going to try and contend while Sinclair, Marshall, Steele and Wilkie in particular are still around. Because once they go... boy it could be rough going for a while
Yep, absolutely. I love what we have. But likely stars? Pou, Wilson? I really like Henry, Sharman, Hammer, Owens, Windy, Hugo, Keeler, Max. That’s a lot of hope still at this point.

I just think people have gone from ripping the walls down two months ago to conflating some excellent wins, but no pressure, with a team wholly on the rise. People get sick of losing and want to win more. But I want a flag and I we have no chance of a flag in the next 3 or so years.

We pick Naughton, I doubt we pick King. And Naughton is the Doggies third best key forward (I think he's undersized and goes missing in important matches but feasts on easybeats).
Was just about to say that on Naughton. Hey, he’s no scrub and better than both of our picks. But I said the same last week prior to Friday. He beats up on garbage a bit.

I think he was commonly rated ahead of Naughton and that was about Coffield’s spot in the lead up. I remember not being overly enthused about them or anyone else tbh other than the 6 that went in front. Even those were hit and miss.

How would you feel if we made Andy Brayshaw the AFLs highest paid player
RTB and Hill have been quietly into Brayshaw. If we have a better 2025 than the Dockers, look out.

I would absolutely do 2 x first round picks for Brayshaw plus more. He's 25 next year and is genuinely elite. Would be buying a 7-8 year career.

RTB and Hill have been quietly into Brayshaw. If we have a better 2025 than the Dockers, look out.

I would absolutely do 2 x first round picks for Brayshaw plus more. He's 25 next year and is genuinely elite. Would be buying a 7-8 year career.
I wouldn't do 2 picks.
Freo will know they will probably lose him to free agency next year, and should be agreeable to taking him for the single pick this year.

A bird in the hand…
I get that. But while Brayshaw is a very good player, I don't think we are one very good player away from winning the premiership next year. The risk to get him for free while also getting multiple first rounders in or keeping picks for trading in quality next year would be worth it for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't do 2 picks.
Freo will know they will probably lose him to free agency next year, and should be agreeable to taking him for the single pick this year.
Freo has Ports first this year, not sure what they'll give for Baker/Bolton if they get them. But I'd happily give pick 8 & 2025 1st for Ports 1st and Brayshaw. Feels fair but I'm biased

If that draft taught us anything it was not to put needs ahead of best available.
None of us on BigFooty wanted Naughton but its who we should have got.

Worpel the player we should have got instead of Clavarino. ( And we might have if we'd taken Naughton thinking that he was a defender ).
I would have preferred Charlie Constable, Toby Wooler, Conner Ballenden or even Hugh Dixon ahead of Worpel or Clav.

When our 28 and 29 year olds are two years older, you do realise that our 21 year olds will... also be two years older.

We have a slight list age profile deficiency around 24-26 year olds right now (another reason to keep Clark), but it's overstated a bit. Marshall and Wilkie lightly raced (mature age recruits initially).
Is that how aging works? Thanks for clarifying. My point was that the more you focus on youth, the more likely it is our guns now will be declining or retired by the time all those kids start becoming real contributors (with a few exceptions like NAS). With the lack of quality mid 20s players you mentioned, it presents a pretty difficult balancing act. I remember Joey making a similar point on Saints TV before the season started.

I think Bassat said we want to hit the draft then start contending in 2026/2027 range. Seems mighty optimistic to me unless we can pull a Hawthorn and uncover some gems from unlikely places.

Is that how aging works? Thanks for clarifying. My point was that the more you focus on youth, the more likely it is our guns now will be declining or retired by the time all those kids start becoming real contributors (with a few exceptions like NAS). With the lack of quality mid 20s players you mentioned, it presents a pretty difficult balancing act. I remember Joey making a similar point on Saints TV before the season started.

I think Bassat said we want to hit the draft then start contending in 2026/2027 range. Seems mighty optimistic to me unless we can pull a Hawthorn and uncover some gems from unlikely places.

In the last 20 years we've seen some teams win premierships with widely varying age list/team profiles: young (2008 Hawthorn and 2010 Collingwood) or old (the last two flags). Caminiti still probably presents as a 20th-30th player on the list - he's already played 33 games and a final. The 2021 class are already at over 50 games.

I don't share the pessimism at this stage.

Probably not the spot for this, but everyone is here or the Draft thread.

Reported this morning that Henry has gone in for a second operation on that knee.
Hope this op is for good measure to clean up whatever is wrong with his knee, he’s the sorta player that will take our list to the next level if we continue to build our foundations right.

What he showed this year was very very exciting.

In the last 20 years we've seen some teams win premierships with widely varying age list/team profiles: young (2008 Hawthorn and 2010 Collingwood) or old (the last two flags). Caminiti still probably presents as a 20th-30th player on the list - he's already played 33 games and a final. The 2021 class are already at over 50 games.

I don't share the pessimism at this stage.

Every sucessful team needs a core of mature players to be playing at their best. But we only have to look at the enthusiasm the younger kids brought in 2023. A number of those same kids had down years this season but that happens and they will only improve now. Teams who keep bringing in quality kids find it keeps the older guys invigorated and motivated and lifts the entire team. All of a sudden the older blokes realise their position in the side is not garaunteed and they have also have to improve.

Im confident we can draft more quality kids and will still have the more mature group playing with the kids evolving. When the older group do fall off a cliff, we will have those younger players leading from the front and becoming team leaders. No club should ever be hesitant in bringing in kids they are your future!

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back