List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Our leading Brownlow vote getter (against the trend), #1 among ruckmen, about to romp in our B&F and...

... we want to change his role.

If it has a realistic shot at making the team results better- absolutely.

I'm sick of watching individual champions run around in our jumper playing in largely irrelevant teams their whole career.

If we can lose the greatest goal kicker of all time and make a GF 2 years later...
we can entertain the notion that increasing team performance is not as simple as maximising each individuals' performances.

It is entirely possible that our team could be better off with marshall playing a different role- especially given:
A. how ordinary he is as a tap ruckman; and
B. how he demonstrated a much improved ability to kick goals this year.

While others seem to define 'success' to look like 1 bloke finishing equal 19th in a brownlow, not where the team finishes on the ladder :/

Sort of like criticising Jack Higgins for the team not kicking enough goals.

I'm steadfast: the team has issues to address, and Marshall isn't one of them.

While others seem to define 'success' to look like 1 bloke finishing equal 19th in a brownlow, not where the team finishes on the ladder :/
Success is clearly based on where you finish on the ladder. Some just realise the best way to finish as high as possible is to have your elite players play the role/position they are elite at rather than use them to fill gaps doing something they arent as good at and then filling their original position with a severely lesser player.

Except for a few specific match ups, give me Marshall rucking and Caminiti forward than Soldo rucking and Marshall forward.

Sort of like criticising Jack Higgins for the team not kicking enough goals.

I'm steadfast: the team has issues to address, and Marshall isn't one of them.
Our biggest issue is in the midfield. Yes, that's mostly due to lack of talent, but you're lying to yourself if you think Marshall is a good tap ruckman. Additionally, his clearances are usually to disadvantage which puts our field position on the back foot

Marshall's strengths: running power, marking, goal-kicking, winning contested ball. That sounds like an elite key forward to me (also playing him forward increases his longevity)

Marshall would also draw attention away from King so we may see less double teaming. Could indirectly address part of the forward structure problem

Crae for 43
Soldo for F3 and late swap of picks to satisfy Port
Peatling for F2

(I think this is within the rules, not sure if ur allowed to trade multiple future picks without getting anything back)
Think that is fine just cant trade out Future First Rounder as well.
Would struggle to find the points for the NGA/FS boys this year however.

Our biggest issue is in the midfield. Yes, that's mostly due to lack of talent, but you're lying to yourself if you think Marshall is a good tap ruckman. Additionally, his clearances are usually to disadvantage which puts our field position on the back foot

Marshall's strengths: running power, marking, goal-kicking, winning contested ball. That sounds like an elite key forward to me (also playing him forward increases his longevity)

Marshall would also draw attention away from King so we may see less double teaming. Could indirectly address part of the forward structure problem
👍

Crae for 43
Soldo for F3 and late swap of picks to satisfy Port
Peatling for F2

(I think this is within the rules, not sure if ur allowed to trade multiple future picks without getting anything back)
Future 2nd for Peatling is fantasy and doubtful about a future 3rd for Soldo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have stated in the past that in my view, tap outs are becoming less and less integral to midfield success, and additive tap ruckman are becoming more and more scarce (Ryder might have been the last very good one). If Marshall, in the numerous times he has played key forward, shown an aptitude for being a key forward (IIRC one half against Port Adelaide where we were losing primarily because someone else was playing in the ruck - other than that his goalkicking success has come mainly as a ruck getting away from the other ruck), I would agree. Considering his objectively assessed quality (umpires, coaches, media etc), I doubt the grass is greener on the other side.

Theres no way GWS would take a F2 for Peatling
So trade a F1 with a 2nd coming back. Then next year trade a F1 again to get back into the first round. The following year will be Tassie's first draft, so likely not much value in it anyway. We need to be smarter about the timing of drafts - we had multiple first rounders when GWS and GCS came in and pillaged the drafts and we were re-building, let's not do that again. Cash out of their first draft into the earlier drafts.

Success is clearly based on where you finish on the ladder. Some just realise the best way to finish as high as possible is to have your elite players play the role/position they are elite at rather than use them to fill gaps doing something they arent as good at and then filling their original position with a severely lesser player.

Except for a few specific match ups, give me Marshall rucking and Caminiti forward than Soldo rucking and Marshall forward.
We literally have 2 genuine tall forwards left on the list and both will be having significant surgery leading into 2025.

We have no genuine back up to Marshall either.

It’s insane that people can’t recognise there may be an alternate way forward.

What if Marshall rucks 60% of the time and gives us 20-25% of the game as high forward?

We literally have 2 genuine tall forwards left on the list and both will be having significant surgery leading into 2025.

We have no genuine back up to Marshall either.

It’s insane that people can’t recognise there may be an alternate way forward.

What if Marshall rucks 60% of the time and gives us 20-25% of the game as high forward?
I've got nothing against Soldo as a back up. We need one and he's one of the few available.

But if we are so concerned about fwd line depth or options to start the season, then target a forward and build some actual depth in that position. You don't fill that hole with your best player and then have to fill your best players position with someone nowhere near as good.

Sounds great.
Except when those 'few specific matchups' happen to be against finalists and/or opponents in must win games.
Or marshall gets an injury.

If the goal is win lots of games every year and win finals- it's idiocy to put all our eggs in one basket marked "If marshall gets injured, we're screwed"

It's a miracle it hasn't bitten us on the ass thus far.
Baking in miracles to keep occuring is the opposite of how to have team success over the course of a long season.

Give me soldo rucking against a McInerney and (a fresh, not worn out) marshall forward over caminiti and marshall in a do or die final any day.

The cats play tom stewart as a midfielder and (even when in his prime) dangerfield as a fwd etc etc- good teams don't give a crap about individual brilliance.

If it can be changed to benefit the team over the course of a whole season- then there are no sacred cows.

Having marshall as our only AFL level ruckman as a concept needs to be dead and buried.

I've got nothing against Soldo as a back up. We need one and he's one of the few available.

But if we are so concerned about fwd line depth or options to start the season, then target a forward and build some actual depth in that position. You don't fill that hole with your best player and then have to fill your best players position with someone nowhere near as good.
Marshall literally went no contact throughout the season at training to get up for games.

There has to be a better way forward then running him into the ground - like we have during the past 2 seasons.

With 5 on the bench. There will be ample opportunity for Soldo and us to better utilise Ro

Port adelaide also have an absolute depth of big key forwards. We dont, we have Max King.....thats it really. Camminiti is good, but i reckon he will be a defender next year.

Soldo as a tap ruckman (which sooooooo many people on here scream that we need) would go just about 50/50 with Roma in in the ruck.
Dixon, Georgiadies, Marshall and... Ratagolea?

**** me dead thats worse than ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back