List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Sort of like criticising Jack Higgins for the team not kicking enough goals.

I'm steadfast: the team has issues to address, and Marshall isn't one of them.
No one is saying Marshall is the issue. What is being said is we can get more value from his abilities by having him play a slightly different role, plus the value of the new player, who in this case has a slightly different skill set and attributes.
With you Higgins example, it would be like adding another dangerous small…even now, Butler and he have different roles.

Marshall literally went no contact throughout the season at training to get up for games.

There has to be a better way forward then running him into the ground - like we have during the past 2 seasons.

With 5 on the bench. There will be ample opportunity for Soldo and us to better utilise Ro
Lots of players were no contact at training at times throughout the season. And from viewing it myself, Marshall was 'contact' far more than he was 'no contact' at training.

I have stated in the past that in my view, tap outs are becoming less and less integral to midfield success, and additive tap ruckman are becoming more and more scarce (Ryder might have been the last very good one). If Marshall, in the numerous times he has played key forward, shown an aptitude for being a key forward (IIRC one half against Port Adelaide where we were losing primarily because someone else was playing in the ruck - other than that his goalkicking success has come mainly as a ruck getting away from the other ruck), I would agree. Considering his objectively assessed quality (umpires, coaches, media etc), I doubt the grass is greener on the other side.
Either way, Soldo will be coming across for cheap

If he and Row work in the same side then happy days

If they don't, then Soldo is a great backup for Row, which is something we don't have right now

We win in either scenario

No one is saying Marshall is the issue. What is being said is we can get more value from his abilities by having him play a slightly different role, plus the value of the new player, who in this case has a slightly different skill set and attributes.
With you Higgins example, it would be like adding another dangerous small…even now, Butler and he have different roles.
And what others are saying in return is that Marshall is way better in the ruck than he is forward so it seems illogical to want to move him to a position we have seen he doesnt play as well for Ivan Soldo of all people.

If they don't, then Soldo is a great backup for Row, which is something we don't have right now

Ultimately its this. If he costs SWFA in a trade then sure, bring him in.

It is mildly amusing watching people try to talk up Soldo and the structural moves hell let us make.

Maybe theres some upside to him but i cant see it. Hes a REAL meat and potatoes footballer who really doesnt help us other than being depth IMO. I CGAF but lets not lather ourselves up over Ivan Soldo, this is worse than the Mat Kennedy frothing.

We don't win in the "first half v PA" scenario, where Marshall is succeeding in a different position but the team is worse from his absence in the ruck. Which is what happened - we starting breaking even in the midfield as soon as Campbell was subbed, and in my view the team is constructed to break even in midfield and win the game on the outside.

If Giants want a 1st for Peatling then we won't get him. The whole point of pursuing him was to get him for cheap
Peatling is not worth a first round, plain and simple.. yes, he played a couple of good games, but he is not a consistent good player yet.. Future 2nd is about fair.

Soldo for future 3rd is also about fair.. he hardly played this year..

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Soldo is coming cheap as a pure replacement for Campbell I am all for it but as he has nominated St Kilda it sounds like he has a promise of first team football. Let's be honest here it does sound very much like a Ross Moneyball style choice. "Sure Soldo is an average footballer but in my structure he will be a great role player."
Marshall is the second-best around the ground Ruckman in the game at the minute, he is still behind Gawn but he is a freak. Moving him out of the position in which he is elite will lessen his impact on games. That is fine if you are going to replace him with an elite Ruckman but not if you are going to replace him with Soldo.
Look at what happened with Sinclar this year, Ross brought in Bonner to free up Sinclair to the midfield. All that achieved was turned an elite HB into an OK midfielder and replaced him with an average HB. Once Ross realized the Bonner experiment was a waste and put Sinclair back to his favored position the teams performance improved dramatically.

[emoji[emoji6][emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6]][emoji6][emoji[emoji6]]" data-quote="DougalHoward" data-source="post: 0" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Future nd for Peatling is fantasy and doubtful about a future rd for Soldo

Peatling is not worth a st. Nowhere near it.

If that’s what GWS want then I hope we have the good sense to walk away.

And what others are saying in return is that Marshall is way better in the ruck than he is forward so it seems illogical to want to move him to a position we have seen he doesnt play as well for Ivan Soldo of all people.
Yep fair enough. Diff’rent opinions obviously, only time will tell how they are used and whether it’s successful!👍🏼

Pick 8 for Soldo and Houston
Pick best available mids in the giraffe with 7 and 24
Be open to trade ups with 24 on the night
Two thirds for Members and Crazy??? Bit of play money for 🆘

Gulden was Swans academy, so he was always ending up at Sydney

Warner's weaknesses before the draft were his speed and kick penetration, which I'd say are some of his strengths now given that he is 24th in the league for average metres gained per match.

Phenomenal development after getting drafted
Would love to hear what Dalrymple's assesment was pre-drafting Warner and compare it to now

You genuinely don’t need to be amazing to be a good starting AFL ruck. See Sweet.

Prior to injuring himself this year and losing his spot. Soldo crossed to be ports number 1 ruck.

He should in theory be a solid contributor. A big strong body and a different type of ruck to Marshall - which should hopefully mean we have a way to combat the monsters to physically dominate Ro.

Sweet was probably the best tall player in the VFL last year and by a margin. Absolutely dominant. Soldo looks like another Tommy Campbell. Okay one dimensional ruck. I’m not a huge fan but if we actually think that there is a role I guess we trust Lyon to get something out of him.

If by the grace of the AFL god's we get pick 8 PLEASE DO NOT trade it to Port Adelaide. We have seen this so many times before, we trade the pick for established talent and that club goes and picks the next Butters, Rozee, Serong... the list goes on. Just don't do it leave the picks alone for once.

There is no guarantee we pick the Butters, Rozee, Serong at Pick 8 but you can bet if we traded it away the other club would. It would be so typically St Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back