List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

We have already done irreparable damage by bending over every time we try to get a player and by treating our existing players like dirt.
We are looked at as being up there with Gold Coast as the draft push overs that everyone can just bully into us giving them what they want as they know we will cave.
We paid the earth for Hill because we had committed to him and Freo knew that they could rodger us silly.
We gave a home to Dow, Stocker and Bonner no wonder we are the location of choice for Macrae and Soldo.
To top it off we are pushing out one of our best club stalwarts in Membrey to make room for other team's cast offs.
Strength through loyalty, I don't think so.
At some point you have show that you are not going to be pushed around and if that means we miss out on a couple of over the hill players so be it.
We are not in the hunt for serious footballers anyway they will never come to us over Geelong, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood etc...
We are even behind the Bulldogs and Melbourne as a potential destination and that will not change if we keep showing our soft underbelly.
The only sides we are seriously competing with for players are North and GC, that is a really sad state of affairs.
Showing a bit of guts and being a bit more ruthless will actually improve us as a destination rather than just showing we are weak all the time.
Ryan O'Keefe and Papley both nominated teams they wanted to get to it but trades couldn't be done.
It didn't hurt either Carlton or Hawthorn's ability to trade in players just showed they won't get pushed around.
Cheer up , Charlie. It’s the off season 🙃

Nah that’s over played. It does damage to the bulldogs for holding him to his contract. We aren’t in a weak position here.
That’s right . Stick with the 40s offer and his contract . That’s fair and Mc Crea knows it so he ll be pissed at dogs if it doesn’t happen.

They can’t split it. Best case for them is that the bid gets to our Pick 7 however Melbourne could bid even earlier at Pick 5. Any splitting or trading back is pointless as per the AFL rules the next best pick (and there after) gets absorbed and reduced until the bid points value is matched.

They have to trade out. Technically after the bid they can trade back in using their futures but they would be losing value by doing so.

They would have to pay overs to get back in and therefore ruining any value that they would have extracted by creating a bidding war for 9 in the first place.
They could trade out to Richmond 9 for 18 and 24, however 18 would get eaten up and 24 is only three before our pick, so they really only get one first rounder in kako and a second.

F1 and 27 gives them 2 first rounders, Kako and 2025 Saints first. Depends if they want to draft in this or next draft.

Ive looked at all the imaginable scenario's for us trading for pick #9, I think we can move on from the idea. So many other cubs have so much more draft capital in this years draft. Essendon rightly so want to stay in this years draft and others clubs have the picks that will allow them to match a Kako bid and grab another late 1st or 2nd round pick.

If we offered them #27 and a future 1st they would still have to find points to match a Kako bid and would lose the opportunity of grabbing another player earlier in the draft.

The exercise has been fun, but once again I dont think we have the picks to get it done.

Ive looked at all the imaginable scenario's for us trading for pick #9, I think we can move on from the idea. So many other cubs have so much more draft capital in this years draft. Essendon rightly so want to stay in this years draft and others clubs have the picks that will allow them to match a Kako bid and grab another late 1st or 2nd round pick.

If we offered them #27 and a future 1st they would still have to find points to match a Kako bid and would lose the opportunity of grabbing another player earlier in the draft.

The exercise has been fun, but once again I think we dont have the picks to get it done.
They have #31 so would take some points from that, which would go out a bit, but would probably come back in to around 31 once FA and NGA are bid on.

The only other teams really who could split 9 would be Richmond once they have the Rioli and Bolton picks back or GWS maybe 16 and 21 for 9.

But I doubt we get pick 9 as you say.

What has happened at Richmond , they are losing there best 3 players - and I rate Bolton highly and add on Graham who is useful.
And these guys are all reaching there peak - they are all under 27
Gutting the team for draft picks and I will doubt they will find another Rioli , Baker and Bolton in the one draft.
A team with Lynch , Bolton , Rioli , Baker , Broad , Taranto , Hopper , Short , Balta should be attracting players not selling them.
They should of got the free agents like Battle.
They are actually doing a Norf at the very worst time with Tassie coming in soon.

I don’t think we are getting pick9.. given the interest in 13 and 11, they’ll have far more appealing offers than what we can give and sounds like they more interested in splitting it
Maybe. We will have a tempting F1 that you’d rather over all of those teams, one of the better 2R picks, and the old threat of a bid if we don’t receive 9. If we bid at 8 (post Ashcroft bid) that would likely zap their own 2R and another one they pull in. Looks like they will receive stuff all for Stringer.

Maybe I’m missing something, but they’d likely have to split a second 2R even further or otherwise try and get back into the draft with futures, which will be difficult.

Why don’t we have a crack at Oliver, we have the cap space to pay some of his salary and give up a first round pick still means we get an elite prospect this year plus a proven top 5 player in the league at his best. I believe we have the culture to get him back into shape and firing.

They have #31 so would take some points from that, which would go out a bit, but would probably come back in to around 31 once FA and NGA are bid on.

The only other teams really who could split 9 would be Richmond once they have the Rioli and Bolton picks back or GWS maybe 16 and 21 for 9.

Lets say Kako gets bid on at pick #10 with the discount thats about 1100 points. Pick #27 = 703 & pick #31 = 606 points. That would leave them with 209 points equal to pick #55. Its not going to happen for us, but other clubs like Richmond, Sydney, North, WCE have the picks to get it done.

We would do better expending our resources on trading our F1st to Richmond for one of their plethora of picks, if we are really keen to get another first round pick.

The exercise has been fun, but once again I think we dont have the picks to get it done.
not going to debate the likelihood, because I don't think we'll get it either, but I don't see any opportunity for them to take a 1st round pick at all if the expected bid comes before 9.

piss poor planning from Essendon to only have pick 9 and 31 this year, even if they get a 2nd rnd pick for stringer, it's not going to be enough points, or favorable to other clubs to do anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

say they do that, 16 is insta gone and 21 is out to 31, so left with, a mid to late 2nd rnd pick

seems worse than just burning 9 on him

Lets say Kako gets bid on at pick #10 with the discount thats about 1100 points. Pick #27 = 703 & pick #31 = 606 points. That would leave them with 209 points equal to pick #55. Its not going to happen for us, but other clubs like Richmond, Sydney, North, WCE have the picks to get it done.

We would do better expending our resources on trading our F1st to Richmond for one of their plethora of picks, if we are really keen to get another first round pick.
It may not move the needle, but only a trade with St Kilda can guarantee them that the bid will be at earliest pick 10 rather than pick 7. The difference between those two options is a third round pick.

The exercise has been fun, but once again I dont think we have the picks to get it done.
We have 7,8,27,47,85 + F1+2+3+4

With 9 spots including crouch free + a Sandy Rookie.

As reported by Jon Ralph+ Jay Clark last week. We trade an F2 for Soldo and the powers F3. We on trade F3 to the dogs for Macrae.

We trade F1 +27 + 43 to the dons.

We get stringer pick + 86 (Maybe an F3 or 4)

85+86 should come into the 60s on draft night.

53 or 56 is the rumoured stringer pick. Comes into the 40s.

Those 3 picks are used for Cole/Peckett/Hoff.

Draft night.

9 could go back 1 or 2 spots for an additional F2 and potentially something really late for further points.

So hypothetically:
7,8,11, 53/56, 85,86

F2, F2, F3, F4 (potentially another F3/F4)

Soldo & Macrae.

As reported by Jon Ralph+ Jay Clark last week. We trade an F2 for Soldo and the powers F3. We on trade F3 to the dogs for Macrae.

Draft night.

9 could go back 1 or 2 spots for an additional F2 and potentially something really late for further points.

So hypothetically:
7,8,11, 53/56, 85,86

Soldo & Macrae.
Sorted.

Soldo yet to do Medical, expected within the next 48 hours

9AM – DAY FOUR UNDERWAY AS WANTAWAY PORT RUCK STALLS

Day four of the AFL Trade Period is officially underway!

The period has almost come to a standstill across the last two days, and as Channel 7’s Mitch Cleary reports, so have negotiations somewhat on out-of-favour Power player Ivan Soldo.

Soldo, who only moved to South Australia in last year’s trade period, is reported to want to relocate back to Victoria after playing just eight games in 2024.

“The Saints remain favourite for Ivan Soldo, but the hold-up for anything here is he’s yet to do a medical assessment at Moorabbin; therefore the Saints can’t fully commit to him,” Cleary said.

“Soldo of course has a history with an ACL four years ago (and) he is expected to undergo that assessment in the next 48 hours.”

He played 57 games at Richmond before his move to Alberton, including a premiership in 2019.

I'd just relax on us doing anything anytime soon

Draft night.

So hypothetically:
7,8,11, 53/56, 85,86

Soldo & Macrae.

You heard Rosa future picks arent their priority....

In 2023, Essendon gave up 31 last year for a one spot upgrade and GWS gave up a F2 for a one spot upgrade.

I really really don't want to give up our second in this year's draft, but I really can't see us getting it done with an F1. We do have the threat of a bid, which affects the Don's later pick regardless of where pick 9 goes.

I hope we could make finals next year with a fitter list, our kids will be a year older and Macrae/Soldo will make a difference. It really depends on where other clubs end up.

All in all though, pick 27 could be anything this year. We'd have to be absolutely in love with who is there at 9. F1 & 27 is a big price to pay, regardless of the perceived weaker draft next year.

That's all fine but it ignores the fact that any pick they trade for will still be affected by matching a bid on Kako.

If what you suggest plays out;

#9 is moved for a late teens pick & an early 2nd then that pick in the teens will be eaten up just like #9 would have been.

It literally defeats the purpose of trading #9 out.

If they wait until draft night & a bid comes prior to #9 & they try do a deal for picks in this draft, not only do those picks get tainted but they lose bargaining power as the clock is ticking & clubs will know that they're desperate.

"If we offered them #27 and a future 1st they would still have to find points to match a Kako bid"

They will have draft capital with Stringer and any other deals they can get done in the next week. 27 & their current #31 are enough to cover a bid in the range expected anyway.

Whether we are the club that can get involved or not, Essendon will need to move #9 out regardless and the only way that they can get a reasonable return that isn't affected by a Kako bid is to trade in a future 1st.

If they want more picks in this draft they will have to trade a future pick/s...and that can only happen AFTER a bid & match for Kako comes.

Draft night.

So hypothetically:
7,8,11, 53/56, 85,86

Soldo & Macrae.
Where does the extra F2 come into it? We'd need one to be able to trade our F1 but you are giving it up for Soldo deal.

Does Bomber deal you suggest involve an F2?

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back