List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting, in a competition where you have to find ways to beat your opponent ... I really don't see what gain there is by leaking who we are going to pick up.

I'd be more inclined to try to throw the opposition off as much as possible, not lay down a road for your opponents to be fully prepared.
In most years the order seems to be largely agreed upon so there's not much competitive value gained.

This year could be different. Twomey might struggle to get a good read with there being so much variation between clubs meaning there will be a lot more possible outcomes.

There's usually a couple of picks which shape the first round, but this year it seems like every pick could.

What part of other clubs can offer picks that cover the Kako bid and Essendon still have sufficient points to get a decent player dont you understand. Do you actually understand how the system works - I think not!

An example just to pad it out to assist in your understanding -

Sydney pick #19 = 948 & pick #22 = 845 total points = 1793

Kako bid at #10 costs 1100 points.

1793-1100 =693 points eq to pick #27.

Wow look at that they get another early 2nd pick that would have been burnt if they took our deal.
So Essendon effectively take Kako and 27 for Pick 9….

When others including myself have proposed that they could get a future first - that they could effectively trade back in with.
Kako and a picks in the late30s/early 40s.

So no, that future first alone is worth alot more.

What part of other clubs can offer picks that cover the Kako bid and Essendon still have sufficient points to get a decent player dont you understand. Do you actually understand how the system works - I think not!

An example just to pad it out to assist in your understanding -

Sydney pick #19 = 948 & pick #22 = 845 total points = 1793

Kako bid at #10 costs 1100 points.

1793-1100 =693 points eq to pick #27.

Wow look at that they get another early 2nd pick that would have been burnt if they took our deal.
By far the best thing Essendon can do is cash pick 9 into next year's draft where it will be immunised from any Kako bid. Splitting it and pushing it back into this draft does not maximise value, as your example shows.

Seems as though Saints are silently trolling the Bulldogs. The more they yap the louder the sounds of silence.

If Saints were concerned they would initiate talks. Waiting calmly reduces the time for a haggle to break down and increases the likelihood that one club caves in as the clock ticks down.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the same for the Soldo thing. We are saying and doing zilch. Nada. Not even a medical. Unbelievable.

It’s actually quite funny. The antithesis of urgency.

The posturing and backgrounding of the Bulldogs and the Power this trade period has been both public and robust. Whereas we have been eerily quiet.

I suspect the rhetoric of both the WB and PA is a sign of weakness. They want the players off their books. Saints are perfectly entitled to sit back, take stock and take our time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems as though Saints are silently trolling the Bulldogs. The more they yap the louder the sounds of silence.

If Saints were concerned they would initiate talks. Waiting calmly reduces the time for a haggle to break down and increases the likelihood that one club caves in as the clock ticks down.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the same for the Soldo thing. We are saying and doing zilch. Nada. Not even a medical. Unbelievable.

It’s actually quite funny. The antithesis of urgency.

The posturing and backgrounding of the Bulldogs and the Power this trade period has been both public and robust. Whereas we have been eerily quiet.

I suspect the rhetoric of both the WB and PA is a sign of weakness. They want the players off their books. Saints are perfectly entitled to sit back, take stock and take our time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They can keep both for all I care.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

When others including myself have proposed that they could get a future first - that they could effectively trade back in with.

Agree but surely you dont want to sell all our later picks and future/s to get pick 9 that would be ridiculous.

Its an even draft I would rather keep #27 & #47 than what you proposed.

If we are determined to trade out next years future 1st then go to Richmond to get another later 1st round this year. That would be a much better result in my view.

We dont have Essendon snookered as you might think they have numerous other better options than ours.

Plus the Dogs and Port want picks this year, we just cant ignore that.

Agree but surely you dont want to sell all our later picks and future/s to get pick 9 that would be ridiculous.

Its an even draft I would rather keep #27 & #47 than what you proposed.

If we are determined to trade out next years future 1st then go to Richmond to get another later 1st round this year. That would be a much better result in my view.

Plus the Dogs and Port want picks this year, we just ignore that.
We don’t have the list spots available for those picks - especially with Membrey potentially being retained.

We need ass end picks to get our academy/FS boys in.

So we can trade up and improve our pick.

We can use future picks for Macrae and Soldo and get a second rounder or two back on draft night by sliding 9(Essendon pick) pick by pick.

I made the same mistake reading his post first, we both missed the fact that Essendons current 2nd would no longer be getting swallowed by the Kako bid (instead the two Sydney picks would be), so essentially with Sydney, Essendon would be choosing between 27 and 31 this year or our future 1st.

I would certainly value our first higher still though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We don’t have the list spots available for those picks - especially with Membrey potentially being retained.

We can use future picks for Macrae and Soldo and get a second rounder or two back on draft night by sliding 9(Essendon pick) pick by pick.

With your deal you were offering Essendon our back ended picks so how are we going to match bids with no points. Go into deficit for next year....?

Essendon wont hold out to draft night they will want to deal before hand.

Again I dont think future picks get the Macrae & Soldo deals done.

Great idea Stav but it will be no salami IMO.

I made the same mistake reading his post first, we both missed the fact that Essendons current 2nd would no longer be getting swallowed by the Kako bid (instead the two Sydney picks would be), so essentially with Sydney, Essendon would be choosing between 27 and 31 this year or our future 1st.

I would certainly value our first higher still though.
They could easily trade our first in for a giant or swans this year

Someone just called in to trade radio and asked about if Saints should trade a future first for Essendon's #9 and Damo just couldn't comprehend why Essendon would do that

lmao this guy has no idea
How many years have they been doing trade radio now and they still can't find presenters that understand the mechanisms of player management half as good as your average nuffie on the street.

Are they still using bidding points to assess what trades are fair even when it involves clubs with no players to match?

It's a really aggressive strategy, probably buying 2 or 3 years of pain but I like it. They don't have the depth that is going to get a flag while Lynch, Bolton etc are still playing. Hit what is the best draft pool for a while really hard and rebuild. Hawks did it. Saints should have done it in 2011.
That was a real sliding door moment.

What would have happened if along with Lyon "retiring" Milne, Kosi, and Baker then leaving, we'd have also traded club icon Nick Riewoldt, probably to the Pies, and found new homes for players like Lenny, Joey, Dempster, Gilbo, and moved earlier on BJ and Dal?

Would us Saints fans have accepted it? Woukd anyone at all have turned up to games? What would have happened to an unsupported St Kilda in the dawning of those two expansion sides GWS and GCS? Would have coincided nicely with our move to Seaford!

We would've had nothing at all to show for for that era. The players would have been hugely frustrated that we were just turning up our toes and not continuing to get something out of this group. Imagine what the broader footy world would have made of our club.

We could have got a few great draft picks and slowly crawled back up the ladder. Who knows, maybe Scotty Watters might have been more effective without senior players challenging him. (shudder)

It would have been a logical move perhaps, but we are not the kind of club who can wear that type of loser mindset without completely imploding, and even less back then when no one had really tanked to that degree before.

With your deal you were offering Essendon our back ended picks so how are we going to match bids with no points. Go into deficit for next year....?

Essendon wont hold out to draft night they will want to deal before hand.

Again I dont think future picks get the Macrae & Soldo deals done.

Great idea Stav but it will be no salami IMO.
With my deal i gave them 27+47 and took their pick 50 for stringer and their pick in the 80s.

Thats without including anything potentially for Hayes - which Cleary made seem a trade would occur.

And I said on draft night moving 9 back to 10 could get us the little extra we need.

Old mate Brian Speaking LOL
How many name changes & accounts have you had over the years even setting up under a different club LOL
Christ if you are correct and its really Brain Speaking he has gone to the next level in being a total ---- going by what he posted in the who you would like to hear on Saints Radio, yes he names himself

Stavro, Moorabbin Ghost, Brian Speaking, Gringo and Joffaboy would be my selections ;)

the added benefit of having 7,8 & 9 is that forces a lot of clubs to figure out who we're going to take. Surely a club or two would offer us either futures or more picks this year to slide up.

I certainly think there is merit in pursuing it

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back