List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't know why there isn't a little bidding war for Tim Membrey.

To a club in the window, he is absolutely worth 2 years and a decent salary.

Could well be the difference in winning finals for a Collingwood, Brisbane or even Sydney.

Could well be the difference in winning finals for a Collingwood, Brisbane or even Sydney.
I don’t know why we don’t keep him ourselves.
He was very good in the last 8 weeks of the season

Agreed. North opting for Darling (two years older and not very good), Melbourne, Brisbane, Essendon etc going cold suggests that he might not be interviewing very well.

Hope we have a one-year deal in front of him, definitely think he still has something to offer even if it's mainly depth. Forward line seems to function better when he's in it. He missed 4 games this year and we lost them all, kicking 9 goals or fewer in three of them.

Seems as though Saints are silently trolling the Bulldogs. The more they yap the louder the sounds of silence.

If Saints were concerned they would initiate talks. Waiting calmly reduces the time for a haggle to break down and increases the likelihood that one club caves in as the clock ticks down.

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s the same for the Soldo thing. We are saying and doing zilch. Nada. Not even a medical. Unbelievable.

It’s actually quite funny. The antithesis of urgency.

The posturing and backgrounding of the Bulldogs and the Power this trade period has been both public and robust. Whereas we have been eerily quiet.

I suspect the rhetoric of both the WB and PA is a sign of weakness. They want the players off their books. Saints are perfectly entitled to sit back, take stock and take our time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Trainee Receptionist - "Excuse me, Mr Silvagni, there's a Mr Power here to see you, he says he's from the Western Dullbogs and it's urgent"

SOS (leaning back in his office chair with his hands behind his head, looking out the window) - "thanks, could you tell him I am unavailable, I blocked out this afternoon in my schedule to scratch my balls and look out the window. Tell him I may be able to fit him in sometime Monday. And tell him next time to ring ahead and book an appointment!"

Trainee Receptionist - "No problem Mr Silvagni"

one positive,bathurst is in the middle,today will be 2 days straight with no trades and only 3 in total in 4 days,would be a mighty slow weekend without happy bathurst day

It's a really bizarre one.

He's still a handy player and great clubman.

I have no issues with hanging onto him as best case scenario he is handy depth and worst case scenario he is a required player if Caminiti and Sharman don't progress.

Would definitely have thought he'd have been a better pick up for North than Darling.

Looking back at it now, he is probably the defining heart and soul player at the club of his era. However he finishes his career he will always be a much loved saints figure.

Because I'm bored - a club by club analysis of what Essendon could receive for Pick 9, assuming they want to get out of the first round this year. Rosa has publicly said they have given up on trading up, and going back for reasons explained seems unlikely. Also assumes no players involved (e.g. Stringer/Shiel deals)

Adelaide - only real scenario I can see is Adelaide F1 for 9 + Ess F1. Seems unlikely either party would go for that.
Brisbane - F1 is too high, Brisbane will need points for picks next year
Carlton - would have to be F1 + F2, they need 34 for bids on Camporeale twins this year. Would need AFL approval to trade F1 and F2 away in same year as well. Also seems unlikely that a team with a contending list would throw away a bunch of future draft capital for other draft capital rather than an established player (like Houston), but it's certainly an option given the deep 2024 draft.
Collingwood - already likely going to trade their F1 to GC as part of Houston trade. If that fails then they could easily trade F1 to Essendon, but they might be hesitant as they'll need as many picks as possible to match a bid next year on a top 5 F/S. Could trade F1 if another future pick came back
Fremantle - likely not interested in trading future picks to stockpile for Warner trade chance next year
Geelong - F1 too high but could easily sweeten the deal with 38. Likely similar deal to what we would offer
Gold Coast - not trading future picks, will need points next year
GWS - See what plays out with the Stringer deal, but F1 + 37 is definitely an option. Essendon won't go for 15/16 as they'll get eaten by Kako bid
Hawthorn - could offer F1 + 33
North Melbourne - same as adelaide. Also feels as though they would not go for a F1 for 9 + Ess F1, especially if they can do a trade back with Richmond this year
Melbourne - Most likely in my view, Melbourne F1 + 28 for 9. Could even use a bunch of later picks instead of 28 to sweeten points deal for Essendon
Port Adelaide - could offer F1 + 39, but I think they would need special permission from the AFL due to how many first round picks they need to take in a certain time frame? Could be wrong.
Richmond - won't trade F1 under any circumstances.
St Kilda - 9 for St K F1 + 27
Sydney - F1 too high, and don't have a pick around the right mark for the Kako bid. Wouldn't trade 22, 59 not enough points
Western Bulldogs - F1 + 35 (or other pick they get for Macrae/Daniel) certainly an option
West Coast - same as Adelaide, but slide back to 9 is not desirable for WC (apparently)

Summary: Any of Geelong, GWS, Hawthorn, Melbourne, Port, St Kilda and the Western Bulldogs could offer attractive deals for the Dons that would give them both a future 1st and a ~ 2nd round pick this year to match bids on Kako.

Depending on who you talk to, you'd think that a Melbourne, St Kilda or WB bid would be most appealing.

The most important thing to take away from all of this: Essendon will plenty of suitors and we're not going to be able to get away with a King's ransom for nothing

Someone just called in to trade radio and asked about if Saints should trade a future first for Essendon's #9 and Damo just couldn't comprehend why Essendon would do that

lmao this guy has no idea
Well he's got 50 pages of St Kilda Bigfooty trade talk to get him up to speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Matt Rosa, Essendon’s list manager all but ruled out moving up the draft. Said it was “unlikely given how the clubs ahead of them rate their high picks”.
Start getting into the Isaac Kako highlights guys, this boy will be our new Milney, kicking bags for fun for St Kilda week in week out while the Dons fans tear their hair out!

The Macrae options seems driven by bridge until the young mids develop + a mentor/coach to influence the young mids. Makes a lot of sense to me.

Don’t mind retaining Membrey if we have the list spot.
I think we'd all be happy to retain him, it's probably more an option on Tim's side, find another home or the reality is you will be behind the younger guys

Any trades yet?

giphy.gif

And yet we are chasing Macrae? That doesn't really add up.
McRae makes a heap of sense, good player, even if a bit past his prime, takes Crouch's spot, adds experience next to Steele and can help the younger mids develop

Agree, free, and likely small salary and length. Hope he stays. Zero point in losing him.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back