List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

That's very fair. I still think its largely inconsequential in the end. I'd hope we can find someone that can be a poor man's Dougal for cheap.
It depends on what you want next year. I would probably rather that and take the hit next year if it gets in a decent pick. We need more talent for perhaps a genuine shot at top 4 in about ‘27. I think Ross will keep us competitive anyway.

We will get band 1 for Battle

Peatling, Shiel & Tomlinson should be in StKilda colours next yr

Tomlinson is insurance for losing Battle & allow others to continue to develop… plus he wants out as he and Steven May absolutely despise each other

Peace out ✌🏼
What scenario will we face in bringing those 3 mentioned players Rors.

Tomlinson is insurance for losing Battle & allow others to continue to develop… plus he wants out as he and Steven May absolutely despise each other

Peace out ✌🏼
good god Bonner Dow Shiel & Tomlinson this is elite from list management

It’s a priority pick in disguise.

Nobody deserves a priority pick more than the Saints. We’ve got over 140 years of being shit to mediocre. And draft assistance is most effective when we’ve got a proper crew running the joint. Who cares if we didn’t come last, give us a helping hand AFL, make the battle compensation band 1.

Battle plays his last game on Sunday, and the St Kilda FC essentially goes back to the drawing board to reassess its strategy for improvement. And it does it knowing full well that it slid backwards this year performatively.

One thing is that is clear is we’re all a little bruised and battered as a supporter group. We continue to hope and feel let down. Another year has passed us by and we never really got the chance to roar as a fan base.

Let’s acknowledge that lots of people are hurting for many different reasons, and their feelings are real.

No need to bite each other on the hand. Let’s see Josh off gracefully, wish him and his family good health, and then hope that he lives to regret the move.

I do know that he will instantly go from an over performing player to one with great expectations attached to him. His new fans will turn on him as soon as the Hawks misfire, or if he can’t find the same level of synergy that he has with Wilkie and Webster.

In the meantime. Let’s love our Saints one last time in 2024! **** I hope we stick it right up the Blues.

Carn the Saints.

Wowee

Passionate lot but are you really losing your sh%t over whether a player was pushed out or chose to go, FM.

Surely that’s what we are paying list management to do. Be dispassionate and get the list we need for a flag regardless of who stays or goes. If a player is upset at being part of the professional meat market do they not understand that is part of professional sport.

Personally I rate players on how many flags they bring. Pretty sure our last flag was 10000 BC. Could be wrong but Moses was a half back flank when he got his first run and look how that turned out.

Anyway 2nd beer is sliding down beautifully so the world really is a beautiful place.

For some reason I keep an eye on Tomlinson. He’s been ok in most games he’s played. Was good against us earlier in the year with 110 SC points. Admittedly we were poor that day.

Seems to have been the fall guy after losses for the Dees. Not getting on with May is no surprise. In our Backline system I reckon he would be alright. Enright would see to that.

So are we saying it wasn't discussed back January that we wanted to get back into the top end of this draft and SOS & Gubby decided it would be Battle that would be used for this, well before the season had even started

Is the reason Battle changed his mind after the Pies game that he and his management found out/got pissed when they got wind of what was going on, maybe the same reason Steele is pissed because the 2 incompetent fools that are SOS & Gubby tried to flog off the Captain of the club without even speaking to him ?

If Battle leaves for anything less then pick 7 the fools from list management should be marched out the front door

So everyone blaming Battle or wondering why he is leaving there is always 2 sides of a story

Gubby is a dinosaur and SOS seems to upset every place he works

Hey mate. Hope you stick around.

What I'm struggling with is why the hell are we trying so hard to win games right now if we're willing to lose good players for draft picks. Makes zero sense to me

Nobody deserves a priority pick more than the Saints. We’ve got over 140 years of being shit to mediocre. And draft assistance is most effective when we’ve got a proper crew running the joint. Who cares if we didn’t come last, give us a helping hand AFL, make the battle compensation band 1.

Battle plays his last game on Sunday, and the St Kilda FC essentially goes back to the drawing board to reassess its strategy for improvement. And it does it knowing full well that it slid backwards this year performatively.

One thing is that is clear is we’re all a little bruised and battered as a supporter group. We continue to hope and feel let down. Another year has passed us by and we never really got the chance to roar as a fan base.

Let’s acknowledge that lots of people are hurting for many different reasons, and their feelings are real.

No need to bite each other on the hand. Let’s see Josh off gracefully, wish him and his family good health, and then hope that he lives to regret the move.

I do know that he will instantly go from an over performing player to one with great expectations attached to him. His new fans will turn on him as soon as the Hawks misfire, or if he can’t find the same level of synergy that he has with Wilkie and Webster.

In the meantime. Let’s love our Saints one last time in 2024! **** I hope we stick it right up the Blues.

Carn the Saints.
Well said mate

When was the last time we lost someone we really didn’t want to lose?
Yeah probably Ball Goddard Dal Big Boy.
Us as supporters don’t want to lose them. Not sure about the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Peace out ✌🏼
Great to see you post again Rors.

When was the last time we lost someone we really didn’t want to lose?
Yeah probably Ball Goddard Dal Big Boy.
Us as supporters don’t want to lose them. Not sure about the club.

We have barely found 22 competitive players since 2011. No one wanted our B graders.

At least this year the trade threads are dominated by a compensation pick. In the past mythical trades have been the hot topic.

Kelly, Boyd, De Goey, Whitfield and many other targets slipping into the dim and distant past. Virtually none came to pass. And we ended up getting players no one talked about.

Who were some of the other ‘trade talk’ targets we wasted all that time on?
Heeney?

It creates a hole in a few years with that 22 to 27 age bracket our thinnest due to Gags and Lethlean doing their upside down list build. 4 years and guys like Sinclair, Marshall, Steele types will be long gone. Battle would have been that senior leader.

I'm over the whole list demographic theory.
Younger is better because they'll still be playing further in the future, but they are only better if they are good at footy.

Thanks pebbles. That clears some parts of this up.

Have you, or anyone else, been able to find any info to clarify how the lenght of a contract might weigh into these calculations? Fwiw, comparing it to the above, I imagine that it might look like a 5+ year contract = X points, 4yr = X - Y, 3yr = X -2Y etc.

If we could understand how this (is supposed to) work and if we could roughly work out where Battle might sit on the player pay continuum [earlier in the thread you gave a figure for the top 5% of 900k - I think based on this years payments] it could go some way to building confidence about getting band 1 while we all wait for a ****ing eternity to actually find out.
They've changed the way it works with the contract length. It previously was based on the amount of money per year for any contract over 2 years.

So a 2 yr contract for $1.2 M per year ranked higher than a 4 yr contract for $800K per year.

Now the length of contract counts for more which you'd think works in our favour.

Battle will be very high on the scale if he's getting $5.4 M+ over a 6 year period, so much higher than Ben MacKay and North got Band 1 for him.

So are we saying it wasn't discussed back January that we wanted to get back into the top end of this draft and SOS & Gubby decided it would be Battle that would be used for this, well before the season had even started

Is the reason Battle changed his mind after the Pies game that he and his management found out/got pissed when they got wind of what was going on, maybe the same reason Steele is pissed because the 2 incompetent fools that are SOS & Gubby tried to flog off the Captain of the club without even speaking to him ?

If Battle leaves for anything less then pick 7 the fools from list management should be marched out the front door

So everyone blaming Battle or wondering why he is leaving there is always 2 sides of a story

Gubby is a dinosaur and SOS seems to upset every place he works
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF by Saturday Night Live

Just moved a bunch of off-topic chatter to the Random thread - please continue there if you wish. This thread is for trade talk only, let's keep it on-topic thanks.

They've changed the way it works with the contract length. It previously was based on the amount of money per year for any contract over 2 years.

So a 2 yr contract for $1.2 M per year ranked higher than a 4 yr contract for $800K per year.

Now the length of contract counts for more which you'd think works in our favour.

Battle will be very high on the scale if he's getting $5.4 M+ over a 6 year period, so much higher than Ben MacKay and North got Band 1 for him.
It’ll be about pick eleventy thousand once we keep winning and every cheating tanker loses!

gringo2011 has been saying for months Battle was being pushed and I kept disagreeing with him saying he was being provocative and had an agenda etc.
If what Mowman says is correct, and I know he has had info on Battle before, so I wouldn't doubt his word, I owe gringo2011 an apology.

You were correct all this time. First time for everything ;)
A broken clock is right twice a day

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back