List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, they were trying to find ways to accumulate additional first rounders. The alternatives involve a rebuild. Otherwise how do we get enough high end talent in?

The argument was never that Battle isn’t good enough mate.

My understanding is that they went through the list and were trying to find players who could bring greater value then worth for.

They still decided they wanted to keep Josh on fantastic money. Let’s not just focus on that situation. He hasn’t been thrown out the door.
The football club is trying to improve quickly, natural improvement + 1 first round pick is not going to do it when teams like Collingwood, Sydney, Brisbane get a leg up through NGAs. So we try to trade / FA route, if it upsets some players, so what? Club before any player.. Everyone’s favourite Plugger wanted out after winning brownlow, it goes both ways..

Mate, Dingley is a really hip and happening place these days.

Did you know they've got street lights now?
Did you say hip or tip ???????

Can confirm re the street lights....my brother lives 2 streets away from the rejuvenated ....ummmm......tip.

He has always been concerned about a massive methane blast from the hip....tip.

He reckons Dingley is "Gods waiting room"

A tad harsh I'd say.

We will get band 1 for Battle

Peatling, Shiel & Tomlinson should be in StKilda colours next yr

Tomlinson is insurance for losing Battle & allow others to continue to develop… plus he wants out as he and Steven May absolutely despise each other

Peace out ✌🏼
That all makes sense and happy with that except for Shiel
Think there are better options worth exploring than Shiel a

I’d be staggered in this draft.
I'd honestly expect more but loading up on late picks isn't really a good business either. We scored massively with Hugo and Ari but that's not really normal.
I expect future 2nd, 3rd, 4th picks get used for trade and we try to move this years 3rd up the order somewhat, getting 4 in the top 40 plus the chance at our NGA/FS after that.
Same gameplan as last year. It worked good.

That said, agility is the name of the game. We wouldn't have thought Henry would come across this time last year. The real stuff doesn't often get leaked.

its very clear now they never wanted to keep him as long as it got them band 1.
Of course.
If Battle was contracted for the next couple of years and another club offered us pick 6 for him we'd bite their hand off. Anyone would.

Now if the deal won't trigger band 1 then we've ****ed up. Because pick 30 is less than what we'd get in a trade imo.

But as no contracts have been signed nobody could possibly know for sure at this stage.

For some reason I keep an eye on Tomlinson. He’s been ok in most games he’s played. Was good against us earlier in the year with 110 SC points. Admittedly we were poor that day.

Seems to have been the fall guy after losses for the Dees. Not getting on with May is no surprise. In our Backline system I reckon he would be alright. Enright would see to that.
Makes sense and comes with low expectations and no trade cost.
It's exactly the kind of trade l like coz l honestly couldn't GAF.
If we can get Peatling, I'd rather keep Jones than have Sheil.

Tomlinson and Sheil. Party time....
game-over.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adam Cooney has us trading out King.....cos Adam is an AFL mastermind.

I'm over the whole list demographic theory.
Younger is better because they'll still be playing further in the future, but they are only better if they are good at footy.

Not many super young sides have won flags. Realistically the bulk core need to be 25 to 30 and played heaps of footy together. Most of our future premiership plans are based on guys under 21. In 5 to 8 years they should be getting closer. We aren’t really chasing a flag. We are buying time.

We didn’t give a **** about drafting for years then all of a sudden we totally myopic. Hopefully they **** it up fast and not bleed us out. We need a broom through the board and a clear plan.

Not many super young sides have won flags. Realistically the bulk core need to be 25 to 30 and played heaps of footy together. Most of our future premiership plans are based on guys under 21. In 5 to 8 years they should be getting closer. We aren’t really chasing a flag. We are buying time.

We didn’t give a ** about drafting for years then all of a sudden we totally myopic. Hopefully they ** it up fast and not bleed us out. We need a broom through the board and a clear plan.

The baby bombers were considered to be lucky.
It was just luck they had promising young players and no injuries.
If you aren't challenging you cant win.

If we were to bring in Shiel, Peitling and two early picks (mids) you’d suspect that Zac Jones struggles to keep his place on the list

Presumably we use picks 6, 7, 24 and 45 in the ND.

Peckett, Cole and probably Hoffmann will be listed late. This means 7 players added to the list via the ND.

The above doesn’t include players added via the trading period or the PSD. Rors suggested Tomlinson, Shiel and Peatling would be traded-in. If true, that is now 10 added to the list, without factoring in the possibility of the PSD (which can be quite fruitful) or other trades for needs.

In terms of list reduction: Battle leaves. So too does (in all likelihood) Allison, Campbell, Hayes, Crouch, Ross and Paton. Not enough.

List spots are tight. A lot of players are OOC. Some may be traded, some may be delisted. But we will probably find that an extra 3-4 will need to leave the club.

Jones must be one of those who in the doubtful category, along with Membrey, Hotton, Cordy and Howard.

Heath, Bonner and Van Es are probably safe.

It’s a numbers game. If Jones survives he will be fortunate.

Yup, as long as compensation is appropriate, i'll be OK with that. I have zero attachments to most of the list, which most definitely includes Dougal. I think he is an OK player, but I will lose as little sleep with his departure as I did with Billings and Gresham.
I qould be upset if NAS went or this year's draftees

Will Brodie could be worth a look, a pretty handy midfielder that can't get a look in at Freo ahead of Brayshaw, Serong and co.

He was pick 9 at Gold Coast in the 2016 draft and at 26 still has a lot of good football left and he wouldn't cost us much either.

I would rather we recruited someone like him than Dylan Shiel who is 31 with his best football behind him and would cost more.

You mean pick 7, 8, 25 & 46 ...... which will actually end up being picks 9, 10 ......

Or maybe even not 10 but 21

Yes sadly Dees rolled over to the Pies meaning if we win at al we goes about the Dees.

If we win we need the Duns to pump the Tiges by a lot more than we beat the Blues by so they go above us.

If we lose to Bles then we go back to 5th pick. I would tend to think that we would roll the Blues though. If so I will enjoy the win, but not the higher draft picks.

Bytel
Acres
That other bloke

Throwing in Acres as steak knives to get hill was completely cooked, we were so desperate to bring in a name even though he only chose us because we offered the most $. Acres was a slow developing player but has become a crucial cog at Carlton and was crucial at Freo aswell.

If we get band 1 compo, we just need to pick the two best mids and hope one of them becomes a gun. If we can at least get one of these to hit, I think we have a serious young core to build on. I feel far more confident and optimistic about Pou, King, Windhager, NAS, Owens and Wilson than i ever did about Paddy, Billings, Dunstan, Lonie and Hugh Goddard.

Think Clark finally getting a full run at it will be a massive boost too, we have been a far better side since he came back in and he is playing with the confidence he had earlier in his career.

Didn't realise Jones was 29.. thought he was 32 for some reason. He's annoyingly had his most productive and influential run at the Saints in the back half of this year when it didn't matter. He's definitely good enough to earn a contract somewhere and I wouldn't be against keeping him on considering we've lost some older experience in Ross and Crouch.

Steele, Sinclair and Marshall are creeping up there in age. Hopefully we time our run well where they are still really great players while the young crop comes through and shines.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back