List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I get that ‘trade Max King!’ Is the current battle cry of the clueless fan. But you have to see what the offers look like at least.
If Melbourne would give up pick 5 or Windsor you have to think about it. It might be good for Max too.

stfan I was in the we cant lose Battle camp for sometime, but then I realised no matter how much I flog the key board its not going to change the clubs decision. I also agree with others who suggest Battle has been basically pushed out, but again we cant change it. Although there remains some responsibility on the Hawthorn deal with Josh. I also remain concerned that RTB and the recruitment team aren't aligned when it comes to the clubs late resurgence.

If SOS and Gubby f*ck up the compensation received, I will lead the charge to drag them out and torch them, but surely they are entitled to some degree of trust.

Its also correct the further we go up the ladder the less benefit of losing Battle will have come draft night. Dalrymple is going to have the most important night of his career. Accordingly the concerns held are reasonable, but we can bleat all day on the forum it will change zip. Its almost a form of self flagellation for some!

Like sitting next to an excessively drunk driver in handcuffs.

I get that ‘trade Max King!’ Is the current battle cry of the clueless fan. But you have to see what the offers look like at least.
If Melbourne would give up pick 5 or Windsor you have to think about it. It might be good for Max too.

He would make more sense than Battle to be honest. We have shown we play well without him but ideally we go hard at playing deep finals soon so don’t start shipping out good players.

I agree with all of that.

I just really, really , really hope that our list team have done their due diligence 100% correct including getting a nudge, nudge, wink, wink from the AFL as to what WILL generate Band 1 for us and that our contract offer was enough to generate it, and that the Hawks will match it.

As I posted, I see this as a make, or break, matter for us. It is Band 1 or Bust (In terms of becoming a Top4 contender).

Land it, and we can continue our recent good list rebuild, and hopefully secure the missing part of our Team Jigsaw.

Miss it and we may just remain a middling team, starting most centre bounces effecting on our HB line trying to win the ball back.

Gun mids are the hardest to Jig Saw pieces to get, and while we remain low to middling on the ladder I cannot see us getting one by trade or FA......so getting access to 2 lowish picks in a midfielder heavy draft could just what we lead.

Unfortunately knock off the Blues and it will mean we are really on Bradbury selections to slip through to us to get what we need. Though at least it does seem a draft for that. I would much rather 5/6 than 7/8 though.

Honestly we probably **** it anyway. Dalrymple has blown most of his high picks at Sydney but found guns late. I think this draft isn’t that different in quality from about pick 8 to 20 so doesn’t really make a huge difference. Top 6 are probably the best of an even lot and then a big spread of similar level kids.

They only become 9 and 10 because of the others not available to us anyway.

Then we would end up like Melbourne now. Good midfield but no key forward. We arnt that far off it.
You never know, Ben king is a free agent next year. So is LDU. None will want to come to us if we trade our good players and become worse. Then we will have a war chest that we have to pay to B graders and we will be back in the Richo days. King is an integral part of our future

Then we would end up like Melbourne now. Good midfield but no key forward. We arnt that far off it.
You never know, Ben king is a free agent next year. So is LDU. None will want to come to us if we trade our good players and become worse. Then we will have a war chest that we have to pay to B graders and we will be back in the Richo days. King is an integral part of our future

We are ****ed in three years when all the older players start dropping off any way. We need to be planning to be playing finals when King is 28 to 30. That seems to be their timeline. No serious capital should go on anyone older than that.

That's the point I was trying to make. It makes no sense at all. If they have this plan to be ruthless as you say, and shop quality players around, why the hell wouldn't you play the kids when you had a chance towards the end of the season in an effort to get as high a draft pick as possible? I honestly can't get my head around it.

I've enjoyed the wins as much as anyone but ffs if you've got a plan, see it through.

I feel as a club we seriously lack vision.
I feel like we’re being run by a bunch of dithering fools that just don’t have the backbone. I personally think we toyed with doing a Richmond last year and either didn’t get the offers we wanted or backed out. Failing to act surely won’t have increased any potential returns and the players involved can’t be too happy about being shopped.

I feel like we’re being run by a bunch of dithering fools that just don’t have the backbone. I personally think we toyed with doing a Richmond last year and either didn’t get the offers we wanted or backed out. Failing to act surely won’t have increased any potential returns and the players involved can’t be too happy about being shopped.
The players want it to be an open market don't they? They want competition and big pay days which they seem to be getting. I don't see how they can be pissed about being shopped around it only adds to their payday in the end.

There's a fairly decent crop of kids we have now, hopefully a few can take the next step next season.

Richmond look like they'll be in the wilderness for the next six years at least.

We can’t even tank properly, what do we have to gain by winning this week. Just watch us turn pick 5 into pick 7 by winning a meaningless game. So even if we get the pick straight after our first we’ve turned 5/6 into 7/8, you can’t make up the stuff this club does on the regular.

Stop and have a think about the new ruthless, pragmatic leadership thats nudged battle out and shopped Steele around but dilutes its draft hand winning ego matches. I have no idea what Allen does that’s the impact he’s had and as for SOS he has a checkered record at best.

There’s a lot of turning rumours & brain farts into facts around here recently.

I keep reading that the club is pushing Battle out or making him feel like we value a compo pick more than him. If that’s the case, add that to the list of things that the club does poorly. I mean we’re so desperate to see the back of him we’ve had a 6 year $4.8m deal sitting on the table since April. And now we’re upping it!

Now the rumour that Steele was unhappy had grown into the alternative fact that the club is shopping him without his knowledge.

Stop and think indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The players want it to be an open market don't they? They want competition and big pay days which they seem to be getting. I don't see how they can be pissed about being shopped around it only adds to their payday in the end.

There's a fairly decent crop of kids we have now, hopefully a few can take the next step next season.

Richmond look like they'll be in the wilderness for the next six years at least.

Most players still stay playing with their mates. Every year a few high profile trades go through but the bulk choose to play with their draft club unless they are fringe and want opportunity

Most players still stay playing with their mates. Every year a few high profile trades go through but the bulk choose to play with their draft club unless they are fringe and want opportunity
Yep players generally end up where they want. Battle obviously wants to play for the Hawks and I'd say he has wanted that for a long time. Good on him he's going to get paid a massive amount to go play for his boyhood club, not sure anyone should feel sorry for him.

If we end up with band two it's mostly the fault of whoever let him become unrestricted. If he was restricted it would be band one without a doubt.

I keep reading that the club is pushing Battle out or making him feel like we value a compo pick more than him. If that’s the case, add that to the list of things that the club does poorly. I mean we’re so desperate to see the back of him we’ve had a 6 year $4.8m deal sitting on the table since April. And now we’re upping it!

Now the rumour that Steele was unhappy had grown into the alternative fact that the club is shopping him without his knowledge.

Stop and think indeed.

No hawks have a 6 year deal we have 5 years in front of him

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the point I was trying to make. It makes no sense at all. If they have this plan to be ruthless as you say, and shop quality players around, why the hell wouldn't you play the kids when you had a chance towards the end of the season in an effort to get as high a draft pick as possible? I honestly can't get my head around it.

I've enjoyed the wins as much as anyone but ffs if you've got a plan, see it through.

I feel as a club we seriously lack vision.
Seriously doubt anyone foresaw we’d be playing a weak, injured Carlton tbh. Nor that Dees and Suns would drop off so much either. You cannot predict this.

Plenty think that a winning culture is more important than a one pick slide - ends the season on a positive note and gives players the confidence and belief we can be better next year. Also a tanking culture is really not great for anyone. Our season being so topsy turvey hasn’t helped. Coming good second half of the season after injuries while Carlton have done it completely opposite.

Stop and think indeed.

They want to push him to the fringe of band one, not sign him on again. There are ITKs that are a bit more close to the source than others.

Yep players generally end up where they want. Battle obviously wants to play for the Hawks and I'd say he has wanted that for a long time. Good on him he's going to get paid a massive amount to go play for his boyhood club, not sure anyone should feel sorry for him.

If we end up with band two it's mostly the fault of whoever let him become unrestricted. If he was restricted it would be band one without a doubt.

Everyone said that Battle was as loyal as they come and loved playing at the club. Something changed that significantly. I don’t think it was $50k per year.

Seriously doubt anyone foresaw we’d be playing a weak, injured Carlton tbh. Nor that Dees and Suns would drop off so much either. You cannot predict this.

Plenty think that a winning culture is more important than a one pick slide - ends the season on a positive note and gives players the confidence and belief we can be better next year. Also a tanking culture is really not great for anyone. Our season being so topsy turvey hasn’t helped. Coming good second half of the season after injuries while Carlton have done it completely opposite.

The problem is that they have actively chased high picks including letting go a top 10 player to get into the front end….. then play the most competitive side available instead of checking players into surgery and bulking the list with youth. Looks a confused plan.

. I think this draft isn’t that different in quality from about pick 8 to 20 so doesn’t really make a huge difference. Top 6 are probably the best of an even lot and then a big spread of similar level kids.

So if you are right, and if we knock off the Blues tomorrow then we probably finish just outside the better picks, and possibly just outside of being able to target the mid qualities that our selectors believe we most need.

Or the other way of looking at it is, that if we get our picks at 5/6 (if we get band 1) then we are that little bit more certain of getting what we need.

On Steele, it was mentioned on here that he wants to go, not the club. Back to his roots as a Canberra boy and a GWS academy player.

If that is the case and the only case I would accept, now is the time to get it done with GWS.

Steele, who also is 29 in Dec would push Peatling down the pecking order and makes sense for everyone to swap.

Plus, GWS first rounder pick 16 and maybe someone like a backman not getting a game (Haynes Himmelberg) to replace Battle or even pick Keefe who will be dropped when Briggs returns, he could fill a ruck key back role plus GWS pick 36 and we swap with one of our later picks.

Gives us 3 first rounders an up and coming mid and an old head defender.

Steele is a loss yes but we have some good ones coming through

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree with everything you said

But if the long term plan was to shop good players around for draft picks and you had an opportunity for those picks to be high, surely you'd make sure they were. That's all I'm saying.

Anyway... I don't know what's true and what isn't. I don't know for sure if Josh is leaving and if he is, the reasons why.

Everyone said that Battle was as loyal as they come and loved playing at the club. Something changed that significantly. I don’t think it was $50k per year.
1. He is an old Hawthorn supporter.
2. We were playing horrendous football mid season, I don't blame him for looking around. I stopped going to games, as I would rather eat my own vomit than go and watch us.
3. Gees I'd play for the Hawks, who wouldn't, playing a great game style and players seem to be just loving playing football, unlike we were 10 weeks ago.
4. If we play like this from now on makes the decision that much harder...but reckon the dye is already cast.

Take pick 7 or 8 and just hope we get a goodn.

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem is that they have actively chased high picks including letting go a top 10 player to get into the front end….. then play the most competitive side available instead of checking players into surgery and bulking the list with youth. Looks a confused plan.
Maybe their plan is to win games and let the rest take care of itself.
Maybe they are more confident of their ability to get the players we need than we are.
Maybe ( obviously) they don’t believe tanking is the way.

Is there any proof that tanking works though? Look at Hawks last year, they were competitive and always wanted to win. Just don't think there's a great argument to tank wins for the sake of a few spots at the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back