List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Is there any proof that tanking works though? Look at Hawks last year, they were competitive and always wanted to win. Just don't think there's a great argument to tank wins for the sake of a few spots at the draft.

Is it tanking or getting players ready for next year and trialling kids before delisting them? Winning has its benefits but if your whole strategy is based around getting picks in the top 5 and you blow the opportunity with nothing to play for, it looks weird behaviour

Depends. You might be loyal to your wife but find she’s on Tinder. Things obviously changed significantly
Maybe she thought we were in an open relationship.

I tend to think Battle was probably always going. Seems to have always loved the Hawks. We probably played it pretty poorly, should have had him restricted, should have offered overs from the start. But to suggest he is loyal and it's all our fault is a bit OTT. He's going to be like the only free agent that doesn't sign on. The actions suggest loyalty, at least to our club, isn't his thing.

Then we would end up like Melbourne now. Good midfield but no key forward. We arnt that far off it.
You never know, Ben king is a free agent next year. So is LDU. None will want to come to us if we trade our good players and become worse. Then we will have a war chest that we have to pay to B graders and we will be back in the Richo days. King is an integral part of our future
We’d be a premiership team? That’s awesome!

There’s a lot of turning rumours & brain farts into facts around here recently.

I keep reading that the club is pushing Battle out or making him feel like we value a compo pick more than him. If that’s the case, add that to the list of things that the club does poorly. I mean we’re so desperate to see the back of him we’ve had a 6 year $4.8m deal sitting on the table since April. And now we’re upping it!

Now the rumour that Steele was unhappy had grown into the alternative fact that the club is shopping him without his knowledge.

Stop and think indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After a very silly season we're entering the silliest season ever.

He would make more sense than Battle to be honest. We have shown we play well without him but ideally we go hard at playing deep finals soon so don’t start shipping out good players.
Losing Battle is going to hurt, has become an extremely reliable player.

King I would trade for North's pick 2 if we could get it.

We just need to get better around the ground. Look at what Hawks have been able to do with Chol. Looks a star now.

King probably our highest paid player, possibly 10% as important as a Wilkie or Sinclair.

The players want it to be an open market don't they? They want competition and big pay days which they seem to be getting. I don't see how they can be pissed about being shopped around it only adds to their payday in the end.

There's a fairly decent crop of kids we have now, hopefully a few can take the next step next season.

Richmond look like they'll be in the wilderness for the next six years at least.
We’re going ok and I’m a big fan of Lyon it’s the things off the ground that annoy me. Yes players want greater movement but it’s how you handle things that matter. We actually have zero say in what josh battle decides to do so it was always in our best interests to tread carefully. I very much doubt I’d think I owed the club anything if I was not so subtly being show the door.

As with most of these things eventually the truth will come out.

The problem is that they have actively chased high picks including letting go a top 10 player to get into the front end….. then play the most competitive side available instead of checking players into surgery and bulking the list with youth. Looks a confused plan.
The only way we can effectively get quality players is high draft picks.
We can't get them through FA as we don't get any decent games so aren't a big club.

Daicos's
Darcy's
Ashcroft's
Camporeale's

All top eight teams

All excellent payers, we have zero access to them even if we had pick one and two for four years.
NGA's we dont have access to any decent NGA from any of the four northern clubs, 3 of whom are top eight players.

We are constantly a mediocre team coming around 14th to 9th, occasionally fluking a finals appearance.

We also don't have a pet Laura Kane like North to give us multiple free picks for purposely destroying our list.

We are forced into looking at this ridiculous strategy directly due to the AFL.turning drafting into who they favourite at any given year.

It's the only way to hit the draft for us before Tassie enter and the whole corruption from the AFL begins again.

So I have no issue with shopping capital.if it is the only option. It would seem the execution is the issue here.
If we don't get Band 1 for one of our most trusted backs, it is a disaster.
To be frank if we pursued this strategy it would have been better to shop Steele, get in a Macrae or someone to cover and get two mids that way.
We have said for a decade we need mids. Why f*** the only true elite line we have? Oh look the forward are beginning to function, let's shop Caminiti and Sharman to get mids.
Doesn't make sense.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Losing Battle is going to hurt, has become an extremely reliable player.

King I would trade for North's pick 2 if we could get it.

We just need to get better around the ground. Look at what Hawks have been able to do with Chol. Looks a star now.

King probably our highest paid player, possibly 10% as important as a Wilkie or Sinclair.
The club have a hard on for King, he is going nowhere.
Watching his brother. Neither of them ever lead, always hailing a taxi to kick it Long.

There’s a lot of turning rumours & brain farts into facts around here recently.

I keep reading that the club is pushing Battle out or making him feel like we value a compo pick more than him. If that’s the case, add that to the list of things that the club does poorly. I mean we’re so desperate to see the back of him we’ve had a 6 year $4.8m deal sitting on the table since April. And now we’re upping it!

Now the rumour that Steele was unhappy had grown into the alternative fact that the club is shopping him without his knowledge.

Stop and think indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Despite the nah sayers there have always been posters on here who get some amazingly accurate information. When the trade period is over and more information leaks out as it usually does then we’ll see.

Anyway there would be about 3 posts on here if we didn’t run with every rumour or crazy trade suggestion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We can't get them through FA as we don't get any decent games so aren't a big club.

Daicos's
Darcy's
Ashcroft's
Camporeale's

All top eight teams

All excellent payers, we have zero access to them even if we had pick one and two for four years.
NGA's we dont have access to any decent NGA from any of the four northern clubs, 3 of whom are top eight players.

We are constantly a mediocre team coming around 14th to 9th, occasionally fluking a finals appearance.

We also don't have a pet Laura Kane like North to give us multiple free picks for purposely destroying our list.

We are forced into looking at this ridiculous strategy directly due to the AFL.turning drafting into who they favourite at any given year.

It's the only way to hit the draft for us before Tassie enter and the whole corruption from the AFL begins again.

So I have no issue with shopping capital.if it is the only option. It would seem the execution is the issue here.
To be frank if we pursued this strategy it would have been better to shop Steele, get in a Macrae or someone to cover and get two mids that way.
We have said for a decade we need mids. Why f*** the only true elite line we have? Oh look the forward are beginning to function, let's shop Caminiti and Sharman to get mids.
Doesn't make sense.

Exactly I agree with the direction but you still have to execute it properly.

We’re going ok and I’m a big fan of Lyon it’s the things off the ground that annoy me. Yes players want greater movement but it’s how you handle things that matter. We actually have zero say in what josh battle decides to do so it was always in our best interests to tread carefully. I very much doubt I’d think I owed the club anything if I was not so subtly being show the door.

On the money as usual YY

The club have a hard on for King, he is going nowhere.
Watching his brother. Neither of them ever lead, always hailing a taxi to kick it Long.

I agree he is not going any where, but what do the club see that we dont??? They want to give him a ridiculously long and large contract?

IMO Max is the most one dimensional full forward in the competition. He rarely leads up at the ball and when he does he is gassed, then if he doesnt mark the ball he is a liability. Ben does get up the field a bit more and leads more than Max, but both are useless at winning the ball other than marking contests. They are also both useless if a full back gets body on them before the contest, they dont have the body strength or aerobic fitness to get separation. Both are injury prone and IMO are the most over rated footballers in the competition.

As an example I watched the Whitlock's twins game last week. They are both tall gumby kids similiarly to the Kings at that age, but what they both possess is 2nd, 3rd & 4th efforts. They can win the ball off the ground and both can play multiple positions. Max would get lost if he was asked to play in any other position.

For the life of me I dont see how Max is remarkably going to turn things around, but we have no choice but to hope and pray things change.

Daicos's
Darcy's
Ashcroft's
Camporeale's

All top eight teams

Doesn't make sense.

Probably need to do what Hawks did with Josh and sell a future vision to guys like LDU and stump up cash. We get timid at trade time. We also look like we might trade away players or might top up. We could possibly play finals but we are not expecting it. We are going for youth but if someone wanted to come and lead a bunch of kids who aren’t high picks etc.

We should set out a vision for fans and players. Right now I have a vague notion of a plan around being competitive in 5 to 10 years but that doesn’t guarantee anything or account for the bulk of our best retiring.

I think you're right mate, it feels we've probably played with fire on the Battle situation. If we end up with band one then I guess it won't look so bad but it's a shame to see a good player walk out the door. Ultimately will come down to who we pick and in the shorter term who we can find to replace him. We need to keep improving and losing him is a step backwards.

Despite the nah sayers there have always been posters on here who get some amazingly accurate information. When the trade period is over and more information leaks out as it usually does then we’ll see.

Anyway there would be about 3 posts on here if we didn’t run with every rumour or crazy trade suggestion.
Have no issue with rumours or suggestions.

The obvious BS that then gets treated as indisputable fact does my head in.

Case in point Battle being pushed. $4.8m on the table. Reports yesterday that we're upping that again. Not to mention the teeth grinding over him becoming a UFA... totally ignores where Battle was as a player when he signed that contract and the fact that he has had a massive offer in front of him for 4 months.

I agree he is not going any where, but what do the club see that we dont??? They want to give him a ridiculously long and large contract?

IMO Max is the most one dimensional full forward in the competition. He rarely leads up at the ball and when he does he is gassed, then if he doesnt mark the ball he is a liability. Ben does get up the field a bit more and leads more than Max, but both are useless at winning the ball other than marking contests. They are also both useless if a full back gets body on them before the contest, they dont have the body strength or aerobic fitness to get separation. Both are injury prone and IMO are the most over rated footballers in the competition.

As an example I watched the Whitlock's twins game last week. They are both tall gumby kids similiarly to the Kings at that age, but what they both possess is 2nd, 3rd & 4th efforts. They can win the ball off the ground and both can play multiple positions. Max would get lost if he was asked to play in any other position.

For the life of me I dont see how Max is remarkably going to turn things around, but we have no choice but to hope and pray things change.

He’s a Joe Daniher type. If you just accept that he’s a good but not elite player who will look good in a good side the anxiety drops away. He’s a potential Coleman winner like McKay if he gets fit. Good KPs are hard to find so having one banked is handy.

Probably need to do what Hawks did with Josh and sell a future vision to guys like LDU and stump up cash. We get timid at trade time. We also look like we might trade away players or might top up. We could possibly play finals but we are not expecting it. We are going for youth but if someone wanted to come and lead a bunch of kids who aren’t high picks etc.

We should set out a vision for fans and players. Right now I have a vague notion of a plan around being competitive in 5 to 10 years but that doesn’t guarantee anything or account for the bulk of our best retiring.
And without access to FA ( no big games) FS, or NGA Academies up north, how do we do this 'vision'.
Sell a vision.' Yeah we play GCS on A twilight Sunday every year. You keen'.

We made more money from Spuds match than every other H&A matches.

Yeah right, sell a vision with one hand tied behind your back while 7 of the eight top eight teams have FS and NGA's for PEPPERCORNS get to keep their 1st rounders.
Do we just have to believe more and reject reality?

And without access to FA ( no big games) FS, or NGA Academies up north, how do we do this 'vision'.
Sell a vision.' Yeah we play GCS on A twilight Sunday every year. You keen'.

We made more money from Spuds match than every other H&A matches.

Yeah right, sell a vision with one hand tied behind your back while 7 of the eight top eight teams have FS and NGA's for PEPPERCORNS get to keep their 1st rounders.
Do we just have to believe more and reject reality?

Set out a very clear plan with time lines and honest conversations. If they have a plan tell the members. It’s hard to judge anything with no KPIs to measure them on. If we are fully rebuilding tell us and tell us why we should trust them. Let players go if you don’t have a vision that has finals in the next few years. It’s not fair on them. If we chase Shield or Parker but want to stay bottom 4 for 3 more years then they are morons. You play kids until they improve. It’s like they flip flop by the week depending on results. They want hope to sell memberships but want to cut hard at the same time by the look of it.

tbh, the last time we stumped up, 75% of the supporter base lost their collective minds.

the Hill trade...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

tbh, the last time we stumped up, 75% of the supporter base lost their collective minds.

the Hill trade...

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Because we were at the bottom of a rebuild buying players with draft capital. LDU is young enough to be around for 7+ years and should instantly fix the midfield. If Pou and Steele hold up and a few others develop or improve we can start chasing guys like Battle again.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back