List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Saints would have been angling for band one from the start. We would have worked with his manager to make sure it happens. Managers have a lot of influence and represent lot of players. Some side deal would have been made.
Hope like hell you're correct.

Its going to be a long 36 days!

Looking forward to Josh performing at a level identical to where he's been at this year only for the media to run with either the "sam mitchell is a genius unlocking his star potential" or "ross lyon is a boring coach who couldn't get the best out of star josh battle" narratives

Is Cripps a liability? Daicos?
Cripps is 5 clangers per game.
Daicos is 4.8
Marshall is 4.9.

I can only encourage you to dig a bit deeper into the stats. Daicos averages 30 disposals a game of which 10% are classified clangers. Marshall averages 17 disposals a game of which 20% are classifed clangers.

I mean if you are telling me you would prefer to have Marshall wielding onto his right foot out of the centre vs Daicos then you really should not be commenting on footy.

That is my hope too.

My worry is that Battle has left for the original amount offered by Hawthorn, which might be just shy of band 1, and that Hawthorn were not actually able to up their offer due to landing Barrass.

Then after we complain, the AFL changes the formula so that from NEXT YEAR the compensation is based off the contract offered by the current club, and not the players future club (which is the way it should be to stop smaller clubs getting screwed over by players choosing success over money).

Here's hoping that I am wrong, and that this is not another Cam McKenzie screw over
its a 6 year deal. Length of contract plays a part in compensation. It will be Band 1. If not the AFL is rigged and clearly has an agenda on us to fail considering the concessions North & GC in particular have had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe we shouldn't have shopped Battle around and he would have signed when his deal was announced at Round 2.

Now we have lost an excellent player and look like getting band 2 for him.

Sorry guys, if this happens, I will just give up on this club. Have to wait and see, but will just about be last straw.
Been coming for a while. Not a melt, have been to exactly 1 Saints game this year, have lost interest when the AFL actively has rules to purposely disadvantage us giving free players to other clubs.

If we can't get two top ten picks this year I fear we will never have the cattle to even have a chance to compete let alone win a flag.
So really what is the point?

Anyway, very concerned but will have to wait.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looking forward to Josh performing at a level identical to where he's been at this year only for the media to run with either the "sam mitchell is a genius unlocking his star potential" or "ross lyon is a boring coach who couldn't get the best out of star josh battle" narratives
It's already started with the 'Hawks can attract A graders' tweets despite the media narrative being that dont have more than 1.

Sad to see him go BUT loyalty is to the club not the player.

Hoping the reason this has taken so long to come to fruition is that it was to work out Band 1 (pretty confident on it, for no reason at all) and that we now pick up 2 youngsters who will hopefully be part of a sustained period of success. Nothing wrong with a little rejuvenation. Look at what the last couple of years have brought into the team.

We'll be right.

Il say it again if battle doesnā€™t get us band 1 Il post his address so everyone can send him hate mail

If he has accepted an offer that only generates band 2 compensation, when the clubā€™s offer (if matched) would have generated band 1, then the club will be entitled to feel filthy about it.

Letā€™s hope he has done the right thing by the club.

I can only encourage you to dig a bit deeper into the stats. Daicos averages 30 disposals a game of which 10% are classified clangers. Marshall averages 17 disposals a game of which 20% are classifed clangers.

I mean if you are telling me you would prefer to have Marshall wielding onto his right foot out of the centre vs Daicos then you really should not be commenting on footy.
Not sure on the Marshall math:

477 disposals
112 clangers
50 free kicks against (all count as clangers, none are disposals except deliberate out of bounds or deliberate rushed behinds)
62 clanger disposals
13% clanger disposal rate

Daicos' math checks out by the same method as I have demonstrated.

its a 6 year deal. Length of contract plays a part in compensation. It will be Band 1. If not the AFL is rigged and clearly has an agenda on us to fail considering the concessions North & GC in particular have had.
Changed 5 weeks ago so that "compensation will not be impacted by deals shorter than two years or greater than five seasons"

Sixth year (up from 5) doesn't matter in the slightest unless the $$ change. Could actually work against us if they added a year but then slightly lowered the average salary per year

Going to be a nervous wait

Last edited:
Remember when Melbourne got pick 3 for James Frawley after the AFL cooked the books.

Canā€™t wait to get pick 30 probably diluting further down to 45 after we get the GWS spud Tomlinson.

There is obviously some discretionary element to this draft compensation business. Would hope that Saints would put up a very strong case given our lack of success over the past 60 years.

Sad to see him go BUT loyalty is to the club not the player.

Hoping the reason this has taken so long to come to fruition is that it was to work out Band 1 (pretty confident on it, for no reason at all) and that we now pick up 2 youngsters who will hopefully be part of a sustained period of success. Nothing wrong with a little rejuvenation. Look at what the last couple of years have brought into the team.

We'll be right.
Exactly. Much better players than Battle have changed clubs and their original club was completely fine.

Enright will train up someone to fill the CHB role.

Not sure on the Marshall math:

477 disposals
112 clangers
50 free kicks against (all count as clangers, none are disposals except deliberate out of bounds or deliberate rushed behinds)
62 clanger disposals
13% clanger disposal rate

Daicos' math checks out by the same method as I have demonstrated.
I used both their career stats. Regardless, the quality of Marshall's clearances are not in the same galaxy as Daicos's. Simple fact is, when a 200cm ruckman is your main clearance guy you are fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back