List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Genuinely shocked and thought it was all just positioning. Heard it from his own father's mouth that he was staying.

Bit gutted but oh well. On to the next.

If we win a Flag then Battle will regret this decision for the rest of his life. Even if he wins one at Hawthorn.

I really hope he looks back and regrets this decision.

But at the end of the day he didn’t want us. We were second best.

Maybe we shouldn't have shopped Battle around and he would have signed when his deal was announced at Round 2.

Now we have lost an excellent player and look like getting band 2 for him.

Sorry guys, if this happens, I will just give up on this club. Have to wait and see, but will just about be last straw.
Been coming for a while. Not a melt, have been to exactly 1 Saints game this year, have lost interest when the AFL actively has rules to purposely disadvantage us giving free players to other clubs.

If we can't get two top ten picks this year I fear we will never have the cattle to even have a chance to compete let alone win a flag.
So really what is the point?

Anyway, very concerned but will have to wait.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

How does that blow up in our faces though? We don't have to pay anything extra. If he makes that call then there's nothing we can do about it.
Because we offered more when we weren't going to potentially get a Band 1 compo.

And if Battle were to have accepted the original offer which is now being reported as not Band 1. And he has done that after our re-offer then it makes the club look bad. No other way about it.

If we win a Flag then Battle will regret this decision for the rest of his life. Even if he wins one at Hawthorn.

I think there was some external factors at play that led battle to Hawthorn.
Not much we could of done about it unfortunately.

When they get barass in aswell.

Thats Barass Battle and Sicily that's a formidable trio of aggressive defensive players

Firstly let me preface I wanted Battle to stay.

But none of those three players are shut-down defenders. Which one of them plays on Max King?

It's three very similar players who, when in defence (two of them can go forward) play a certain way.

Hope our offer triggers band one for Battle, so the Saints have more to work with. Either taking the picks to the draft, or using one to trade for Houston, are great options.

I think the Saints ball movement with NWM, Houston, Hill, Wilson and Sinclair would be so skilful and dynamic next season.
Thanks mate

But none of those three players are shut-down defenders. Which one of them plays on Max King?

It's three very similar players who, when in defence (two of them can go forward) play a certain way.
Barass would 100% play on King he is a lockdown defender.
battle has shown he can do it just look at the Geelong game against Cameron for evidence.

Sicily has never been strong locking down this just frees him up

Hope our offer triggers band one for Battle, so the Saints have more to work with. Either taking the picks to the draft, or using one to trade for Houston, are great options.

I think the Saints ball movement with NWM, Houston, Hill, Wilson and Sinclair would be so skilful and dynamic next season.

It would be, but ball movement is already our 1 wood.

We need to be able to win more front half and center clearances so we don't need to move it from one end to the other so often.

Anyway good luck with Battle, he's a good get

Or it was quick because his mind was already made up and our larger offer changed nothing regarding what he has already agreed to with Hawthorn.

I think that’s unlikely.

It was reported that he told the club yesterday he was genuinely undecided and needed more time to work through the decision.

Today he has announced he wants to play with Hawthorn.

Presumably something has happened in the interim for him to quickly come to a decision.

It’s an excellent defence line. Mostly I expect them to rely on aggressive kicking and a great midfield. The ball may be rarely kicked towards Max.

I think we are all pretty disappointed with the announcement even tho many were expecting it, some even wanting it, It's never nice to be told the news.

I even echo your sentiment re:picks
If it's band 1 then we get the mids we need
if it's not melt away, you won't be alone

You just know the AFL screw us, it's the way of things at that joint.

I'm still filthy their grievance group made us pay Lovett FFS. I'm here like "we got him to GTFO from your competition, you should be paying us for having the balls to do so you spineless hacks".

Club won't be to blame for it, the AFL just likes circle work far too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that’s unlikely.

It was reported that he told the club yesterday he was genuinely undecided and needed more time to work through the decision.

Today he has announced he wants to play with Hawthorn.

Presumably something has happened in the interim for him to quickly come to a decision.
Or the St Kilda source that alerted fox footy that we had upped our offer presented it as he was torn when in reality, his mind was already made up.

No one really knows. There is a reasonable explanation either way for what his deal and our compo could be.

It is actually ridiculous.

Hawthorn are creating a future problem for themselves here. Serves them right.
Who are they paying at the moment that you would legitimately say is on serious coin in the short term.
Sicily would be about it, maybe day.

Newcombe - Still would be on a prove it deal
Nash - Just re-signed but couldn't imagine would be anymore than 500-600 a year
Moore - Would not be on big money

Barass would 100% play on King he is a lockdown defender.
battle has shown he can do it just look at the Geelong game against Cameron for evidence.

Sicily has never been strong locking down this just frees him up
And Weddle.
Hawks going for another attempt at a threepeat after a 1 year rebuild…

If he has accepted an offer that only generates band 2 compensation, when the club’s offer (if matched) would have generated band 1, then the club will be entitled to feel filthy about it.

Let’s hope he has done the right thing by the club.

Not really. If he had committed to Hawks with the offer presented to him, he is essentially just sticking to his word. The Hawks also have to manage how much they can pay Barrass coming in. It's reasonable for them to hold him to whatever he has agreed to, and also reasonable for Battle to go fair enough if he had agreed in principle to their terms.

If the Saints have come in at the last minute with a hail mary offer because we are panicking we may no longer get band 1, then we have misjudged the situation and will rightly look completely foolish. The club will only have itself to blame, and have no right to be filthy whatsoever.

Last edited:

Wearing THAT jumper for the next 5 years or so?
I’d be regretting my decision already 🤣

Hope our offer triggers band one for Battle, so the Saints have more to work with. Either taking the picks to the draft, or using one to trade for Houston, both are great options.

You have a beauty in Battle, with Barass and Sicily you will be formidable down back.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointing losing Battle, buts it’s hardly like we’re losing Sinclair or Wilkie. If we lost a star/AA defender I’d be well miffed, but I think as a few others have pointed out, he’s a good third tall without being a star key defender. If Schoenmaker can build his tank and improve his defensive game a bit we’ll be losing a bit of the contested, hard-nosed defender from our back 6 but gaining a bit more vision and foot skills to our back 6. Fingers crossed with Arie and development. Or the Tomlinson rumour to cover off another year or 2 of Arie development.

It is actually ridiculous.

Hawthorn are creating a future problem for themselves here. Serves them right.

Not going to overstay my welcome, but I will say we have plenty of money to throw around at the moment and I understand we have offered Battle a front loaded deal.

We have no one on huge money currently - though we will have to pay some of our younger key players in the future. Thankfully we have room to manoeuvre and restructure over the next few years if need be.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back