List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I’m hoping the reports of us increasing our offer made the hawks up their original offer increasing the chances we get our consecutive picks.

The increased offer from St Kilda was reported yesterday.

Less than 24 hours later Battle has nominated Hawthorn.

Logic suggests that Hawthorn has increased their offer and Battle has quickly agreed to accept their offer. Let’s hope so and that he has done the right thing by the club.

But it’s clear he didn’t want us. He wanted Hawthorn. That being the case we are better off without him.

Changed 5 weeks ago so that "compensation will not be impacted by deals shorter than two years or greater than five seasons"

Sixth year (up from 5) doesn't matter in the slightest unless the $$ change. Could actually work against us if he lowered the average salary per year for a longer contract

Going to be a nervous wait
**** me.. AFL saw this coming and were already planning to screw us. Nervous times ahead now

What I hate with the Marshall clearance debate is that no one ever talks about the players forward of the ball receiving those kicks out of the contest.

How many times have our players been caught behind their men or out of position not in the logical place for that kick? If the opposition can read his kicks why can't we?

Our forward structure for the most part this year was terrible and is a big contributor to our underwhelming season.

You have to look deeper than the headline stats. He also has the most clangers on the list. Marshall's stock standard disposal is bang it forward on the foot and hope for the best and he is even worse by hand. If Marshall is your number 1 clearance beast then you should read it as a red flag. He is not the guy you want setting up plays.

Most of us think he can be a reasonable KPF. He is a big body, gets to contests, is a good mark and a fairly reliable set shot. IF we were to bring in a good tap ruckman, I think Marshall could more than hold his own up forward and relieving in ruck and I don't think we would lose much in the way of quality clearances.
Gee, I think you’re harsh on him! But he would certainly help Max. Either way King will need a bigger body to help him out. Someone like JVR would have been perfect

What I hate with the Marshall clearance debate is that no one ever talks about the players forward of the ball receiving those kicks out of the contest.

How many times have our players been caught behind their men or out of position not in the logical place for that kick? If the opposition can read his kicks why can't we?

Our forward structure for the most part this year was terrible and is a big contributor to our underwhelming season.

Agreed it should be 50:50 at worst but with the ball being kicked in our direction that should usually be a net positive.

I used both their career stats. Regardless, the quality of Marshall's clearances are not in the same galaxy as Daicos's. Simple fact is, when a 200cm ruckman is your main clearance guy you are fighting with one hand tied behind your back.

And let me be clear: I'm not suggesting that he should. But he is, and his significant contribution would need to be replaced. I'm not convinced the grass would be greener on the other side considering there are few if any better players who play in the ruck at the moment than Marshall.

He's not the archetype of an AFL competitor for many, and he gets marked down unfairly IMO. It's the same reason why many rate Jonathan Brown as a better footballer than Nick Riewoldt, an opinion with no basis in fact unless you think Aaron Keating was a better footballer than Nick Riewoldt.

Gee, I think you’re harsh on him! But he would certainly help Max. Either way King will need a bigger body to help him out. Someone like JVR would have been perfect

Don't mean to be. I think he is probaby our most important player. But I don't reckon even Marshall would expect to be our number 1 clearance guy. It says more about the mids than about Marshall. And all of this is in the context of bringing in a seasoned tap ruckman a la Ryder. IF we did that, it could free up Marshall to fill gaps elsewhere and we probably don't lose a lot by having him spend less time in clearance constests.

**** me.. AFL saw this coming and were already planning to screw us. Nervous times ahead now
Feels like it will be right on the edge!

My guess is that we have seen this coming for a while, and this is why the Pres was making a lot of noise a few weeks back regarding the draft and compo.

Hoping that might be the difference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And let me be clear: I'm not suggesting that he should. But he is, and his significant contribution would need to be replaced. I'm not convinced the grass would be greener on the other side considering there are few if any better players who play in the ruck at the moment than Marshall.

He's not the archetype of an AFL competitor for many, and he gets marked down unfairly IMO. It's the same reason why many rate Jonathan Brown as a better footballer than Nick Riewoldt, an opinion with no basis in fact unless you think Aaron Keating was a better footballer than Nick Riewoldt.

Fair point. But lets say you had a ruckman the quality of Soldo available. Not suggesting Marshall no longer rucks. Could you sell Soldo on 60% ruck time? Because Marshall's big point of difference is unlike most ruckman, he can play KP.

And BTW, I am advocating based on getting Soldo cheap. I would think it is worth a shot.

The increased offer from St Kilda was reported yesterday.

Less than 24 hours later Battle has nominated Hawthorn.

Logic suggests that Hawthorn has increased their offer and Battle has quickly agreed to accept their offer. Let’s hope so and that he has done the right thing by the club.

But it’s clear he didn’t want us. He wanted Hawthorn. That being the case we are better off without him.
Or it was quick because his mind was already made up and our larger offer changed nothing regarding what he has already agreed to with Hawthorn.

Maybe we shouldn't have shopped Battle around and he would have signed when his deal was announced at Round 2.

Now we have lost an excellent player and look like getting band 2 for him.

Sorry guys, if this happens, I will just give up on this club. Have to wait and see, but will just about be last straw.
Been coming for a while. Not a melt, have been to exactly 1 Saints game this year, have lost interest when the AFL actively has rules to purposely disadvantage us giving free players to other clubs.

If we can't get two top ten picks this year I fear we will never have the cattle to even have a chance to compete let alone win a flag.
So really what is the point?

Anyway, very concerned but will have to wait.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I think we are all pretty disappointed with the announcement even tho many were expecting it, some even wanting it, It's never nice to be told the news.

I even echo your sentiment re: picks
If it's band 1 then we get the mids we need
if it's not, melt away, you won't be alone

Last edited:
If it is any consolation, when Melbourne pantsed us in round 11 this year Tomlinson had 25 possessions, 7 marks and 431 meters gained. On the other hand, Battle had 8 possies and 4 marks.
If Ross has one superpower, its turning B and C graders into key components of a top tier defense. He replaced Maxy with Zac bloody Dawson after all.

Hopefully we can now find a Tomlinson type on cheap coin to adequately replace Battle

Last edited:
If Ross has one superpower, its turning B and C graders into key components of a top tier defense

Hopefully that ability makes Battle the most 'easily replaceable' player out of our 22
When they get barass in aswell.

Thats Barass Battle and Sicily that's a formidable trio of aggressive defensive players

Hope our offer triggers band one for Battle, so the Saints have more to work with. Either taking the picks to the draft, or using one to trade for Houston, both are great options.

I think the Saints ball movement with NWM, Houston, Hill, Wilson and Sinclair would be so skilful and dynamic next season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back