List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

What if the finals sugar hit was a flag sugar hit - is it okay then?

Was looking at coaches votes yesterday out of interest. We have
  • 16 players on the list who have received 10 votes in a game (=1st in comp, with Melbourne)
  • 32 players on the list who have received a vote in any game (1st)
  • 6 players under 22 who have received a vote (1st). Carlton and Essendon have none.

To me, that says that there is a lot of capability and depth right now & the youth is fine. It also suggests that the salary cap might get tight over the coming years and we are already seeing that with Battle. However the "ass" will not fall out if the young guys stick around.

We essentially have the opposite problem to 09/10 in that we have a very strong so-called "bottom six", but lack the star quality at the pointy end. The three guys we do have who are currently AA quality will all be 30+ in a couple of years - if there was ever a time to attract a proper A grader, however impracticable that may be, it is now.
Yeah, Oliver ain’t making a dent at his absolute best. We’ve done this before. Sounds like the Hill/Hannebery/Jones era. We cannot repeat that. We need a significant influx of younger kids built around the King and below age group. Sick of trying to be half good to relieve the pain. If he came with a top pick then the top pick would make the difference, but there will be much more demand than that, so no club’s best offer is “yeah we I’ll take him, but give us your best pick too”. Pipedream.

We ain’t good. Our young crew is very promising. We aren’t at the start of a rebuild, but we are in a rebuild on the run.

personal opinion, Petracca isn’t going to win us a flag on his own. We don’t bat deep enough and trading for him would take us out of the first round of this draft and next.

So how do we build out the midfield to support Petracca and Steele?

The ass falls out because as that group falls away due to age. We half baked the youth by not putting enough top end talent into that group.

If this was a free agency scenario. I’d be all in with you here. It’s not. The hypothetical cost would be huge and we lack assets to blow it on a bloke who is 29 at the start of next season.

Your breakdown shows an even contribution.

What it fails to show is that Sydney have 3 in the top 10. The dogs 2. Freo Essendon Carlton Brisbane Collingwood - sides all in or around the finals.

We don’t have a player in the top 20 - of which the clubs in and around finals do.
I think we agree on where we are at. And here you’re being very polite. And usually I really am. I don’t pick fights. I’m genuinely just someone who goes along.

But we are nowhere near a flag. Honestly, who genuinely thinks that we would make top 4 with Bont? Those knobs can’t even make it with him!! And they have a whole lot of better players than we do. They have better young players - Darcy, JUH, Naughton at a stretch on young, Sanders… their list above that age are better than us and by a long way. And they can’t even consistently make the 8!

Lions and Giants are miles ahead. Norf have 800 top 4 picks and they threw experienced players away for fun. Suns if they can actually get their pooper together. We can’t compete with all the picks and the freebies.

I’m sick to death of scrapping to make the 8. We have been screwed by admin and recruiters, and perhaps more than anything, development leaders more than anything. Richo and Elshaugh fucjed us for a decade.

They screwed is on recruits and perhaps even worse they didn’t pick leaders and they picked nice kids. Who was the last Saint that was alpha?? Our best leader in ten years? Wilkie maybe?

Now comes Tassie. If we are crap when their picks start, then our top picks will be pick 15 and 43. Like when our highest pick was Cripps, who in retrospect was the absolute best we could do.

HOW THE **** Do we genuinely win a flag with topping up, wasting picks, and not using every pick to try and be the next Hawthorn. Only attractive clubs win FAs. Lose lose or win win. Ffs. I want a shot at Sincs , Ro, Wilkie, Garcia.

Stop wasting picks and taking some minimal garbage number of picks because maybe maybe some guys that can’t be in the best in the scoobs could play 50 games in the best case scenario.

It's just attention seeking behaviour.
It's not. He feels strongly about what he says and he's right to. Gringo has always argued in good faith imo unlike other some posters who just want friction.

I do agree with some parts of what Gringo is saying. It IS risky. If we absolutely wanted to keep Battle, we could have, before this season and during. We have the cap space, its just a question of what we think his place on the pay structure lies. It's clear we want him, but are not beholden to him, which I guess is a good thing. I value him a bit higher than the club and I've detailed why previously.

Gringo has developed a habit of riding every risky move the club has made in crash position, I think he has developed PTSD from our history. He also tends to add a fair bit of mayo to his arguments and as he's such a prolific poster can sometimes contradict himself, as do I and a lot of us. Like some of us including me, his opinion sometimes changes which is also healthy but makes him confusing to debate with.

He's also by far the funniest bloke on the forum and has the best stories and metaphors. He's a bit depressing at times and is approaching hysteria in his older age, but I get a lot out of reading his posts.

It's not. He feels strongly about what he says and he's right to. Gringo has always argued in good faith imo unlike other some posters who just want friction.

I do agree with some parts of what Gringo is saying. It IS risky. If we absolutely wanted to keep Battle, we could have, before this season and during. We have the cap space, its just a question of what we think his place on the pay structure lies. It's clear we want him, but are not beholden to him, which I guess is a good thing. I value him a bit higher than the club and I've detailed why previously.

Gringo has developed a habit of riding every risky move the club has made in crash position, I think he has developed PTSD from our history. He also tends to add a fair bit of mayo to his arguments and as he's such a prolific poster can sometimes contradict himself, as do I and a lot of us. Like some of us including me, his opinion sometimes changes which is also healthy but makes him confusing to debate with.

He's also by far the funniest bloke on the forum and has the best stories and metaphors. He's a bit depressing at times and is approaching hysteria in his older age, but I get a lot out of reading his posts.
this

He's right alot of the time. People never go back and apologise though

HOW THE **** Do we genuinely win a flag with topping up, wasting picks, and not using every pick to try and be the next Hawthorn.
Notwithstanding the fact they haven't really achieved anything yet, I don't know what is meant by "using every pick to try and be the next Hawthorn". The Hawks had two top 10 picks out there on the weekend - one of whom is a first year player (Watson) and the other is Mackenzie who just came back from a VFL stint. Their two top 10 picks before that were Josh Ward and Grainger-Barrass who both look like busts, and prior to that they gave up a couple of first rounders in pursuit of O'Meara and Mitchell.

Their team from the weekend looks like:

B: UFA, trade, Pick 56
HB: Pick 44, trade, Pick 18
C: Pick 45, Pick 67, Pick 74
HF: trade, Pick 13, Pick 56
F: trade, trade, trade
R: trade, MSD, Pick 5 (Watson)
Int: trade, SSP, Pick 7 (Mackenzie), Pick 26
Sub: rookie

They have done very well on talent ID to bring in players on the cheap (Meek, Chol, Ginnivan, D'Ambrosio, Impey, Scrimshaw). Amon's their first and only free agent since Ty Vickery. And they clearly understand what they lack with their pointed targeting of Barrass and Battle. Sicily, Hardwick, Worpel, Moore all as picks >40 is great drafting. Day at 13 and Weddle at 18 too. But they are far from reliant on any top 10 picks whatsoever.

A fun story about the current flag favourites who you admit are "miles ahead". In 2016, wooden spooners Brisbane coughed up pick 12 for Charlie Cameron. The next year they paid 6 and 19 for Neale, despite winning 5 games and finishing 15th on the ladder. They've finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 6th and 2nd in the years since, Neale has won 2 Brownlows and Cameron kicked 50+ goals four times. Those picks were used on Bing, Darcy Fogarty and Xavier O'Halloran. Do you honestly reckon they should've hit the draft instead?

In-form Giant on trade watch​

James Peatling’s purple patch of form in the past month has not gone unnoticed, with St Kilda showing interest in the out-of-contract Greater Western Sydney midfielder.
Peatling polled the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches’ Association’s champion player of the year award for his role in the Giants’ come-from-behind upset win over Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

James Peatling celebrating with fans after the Giants’ win over Hawthorn in round 21.

James Peatling celebrating with fans after the Giants’ win over Hawthorn in round 21.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
He also picked up six votes against Melbourne a fortnight earlier, and is averaging almost 21 disposals, seven clearances and nine tackles across the past four weeks to emerge as an unlikely key part of the Giants’ six-match winning streak.
GWS plucked Peatling from their VFL team in the 2021 mid-season draft, and he has become head recruiter Adrian Caruso’s latest bargain-basement gem, playing 41 games since.
A new deal at the Giants is not imminent, a well-placed source told this masthead on the condition of anonymity, with unrestricted free agents Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming and Nick Haynes all drawing rival interest as well.
First-round picks Conor Stone and Ryan Angwin are also on expiring contracts, while the likes of Finn Callaghan, Brent Daniels and Lachie Ash are out of contract next season.

Goalkicking Saint being monitored

St Kilda free agent Tim Membrey’s good recent form has him on the radar of clubs looking for a goalkicking forward to complement their attack.
The 30-year-old has kicked 11 goals in four matches as he has stepped up to fill the void left by injured key forward Max King and reminded opposition clubs of his talent.
Two industry sources confirmed clubs lacking firepower were monitoring his progress as he remains unsigned at the Saints, where he has shown leadership in 176 matches at the club.
Saints veteran Tim Membrey prepares to mark on the lead.

Saints veteran Tim Membrey prepares to mark on the lead.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

The Saints recently re-signed Cooper Sharman, while King is locked in until the end of 2026. This masthead can also reveal Mason Wood has been locked in to play with St Kilda next season.
The defence-oriented Saints are alongside Richmond and North Melbourne as Victorian-based teams unable to kick decent scores this season.

‘Unable to kick decent scores’ ? We’ve had a few over 100!
I’d rather keep Membrey, because I like him and we won’t getting anything too substantial via a trade. Can’t believe he’s only 30 been around for ages.
Peatling would be a very good addition for next year.

Notwithstanding the fact they haven't really achieved anything yet, I don't know what is meant by "using every pick to try and be the next Hawthorn". The Hawks had two top 10 picks out there on the weekend - one of whom is a first year player (Watson) and the other is Mackenzie who just came back from a VFL stint. Their two top 10 picks before that were Josh Ward and Grainger-Barrass who both look like busts, and prior to that they gave up a couple of first rounders in pursuit of O'Meara and Mitchell.

Their team from the weekend looks like:

B: UFA, trade, Pick 56
HB: Pick 44, trade, Pick 18
C: Pick 45, Pick 67, Pick 74
HF: trade, Pick 13, Pick 56
F: trade, trade, trade
R: trade, MSD, Pick 5 (Watson)
Int: trade, SSP, Pick 7 (Mackenzie), Pick 26
Sub: rookie

They have done very well on talent ID to bring in players on the cheap (Meek, Chol, Ginnivan, D'Ambrosio, Impey, Scrimshaw). Amon's their first and only free agent since Ty Vickery. And they clearly understand what they lack with their pointed targeting of Barrass and Battle. Sicily, Hardwick, Worpel, Moore all as picks >40 is great drafting. Day at 13 and Weddle at 18 too. But they are far from reliant on any top 10 picks whatsoever.

A fun story about the current flag favourites who you admit are "miles ahead". In 2016, wooden spooners Brisbane coughed up pick 12 for Charlie Cameron. The next year they paid 6 and 19 for Neale, despite winning 5 games and finishing 15th on the ladder. They've finished 2nd, 2nd, 4th, 6th and 2nd in the years since, Neale has won 2 Brownlows and Cameron kicked 50+ goals four times. Those picks were used on Bing, Darcy Fogarty and Xavier O'Halloran. Do you honestly reckon they should've hit the draft instead?
Brisbane sat in a position to trade after the following:

Being gifted Harris Andrews and Eric Hipwood via QLD zone selections.

Top 5 picks: Rayner Mcluggage Schache
Top 20 picks: Berry Bailey Starcevich

It isn’t as simple to say they just took a risk one year and landed Neale. They built for a few years and then parted with their draft collateral.

Do you know how many top 6 picks we have taken in the last 10 years?

2 - Max king at pick 4. Paddy at 1.

We aren’t ready to throw our draft hand at players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

‘Unable to kick decent scores’ ? We’ve had a few over 100!
I’d rather keep Membrey, because I like him and we won’t getting anything too substantial via a trade. Can’t believe he’s only 30 been around for ages.
Peatling would be a very good addition for next year.
Reckon Membrey will be at Melbourne or Collingwood tbh

Think we are in a unique position with pick 5 and 6.
If GCS want Rioli then the better the frdp the better. They also do not need many picks as they have a bulging list. They can back fill for Lombard so moving 7 12 may make sense to them.
So our 5 and 24 and next years 2nd for 7 and 12 and next years 3rd may work for them. If Battle comp happens that works in our favour.

Same with Freo if they want Bolton then same logic, get up earlier in the draft for their pick 8 and 13. Make sure we tell Richmond this is what we are doing so Tigers can play handball..

Also if Ade want Lukocius, then maybe Rochelle who seems out of favour at Crows, for our pick 24 to GCS and Lukocius is off to Ade. Possibly with a swap of 5 for 7 as part of the deal.

Oh ship Collard to WCE for Williams and a later pick if we can orchestrate it works for me, especially if we can snare Rochelle...which is a pipe dream I know. Not overly happy with his attitude...first year shows a lot of red flags

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back