List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Good clubs don't loose players that they want to keep and not many shit ones do. I'm nearly certain that the club has told him that they'd rather him walk as long as it gets us band one.

If they were keen they would have spend weeks on the phone to the manager and worked out a deal.
I’m interested to hear why you think none of this happened, and why you are “nearly certain” they told him they’d rather he walk.

Sounds to me that he was offered a really good contract commensurate with his ability and position. Plenty would moan if our salary cap was screwed because we overpaid - as we have in the past.

I’m interested to hear why you think none of this happened, and why you are “nearly certain” they told him they’d rather he walk.

Sounds to me that he was offered a really good contract commensurate with his ability and position. Plenty would moan if our salary cap was screwed because we overpaid - as we have in the past.

The club has fetishised getting high draft picks and last year walked Gresham out for picks. Looks like a strategy to me. The same idiots want to pay $1.2 million a year for a decade to bring in a guy that does his best work in the toilets at Revs and probably not even going to make it though his first year before being delisted.

Honestly deserve it. The hubris for a club who has earned no good will in any of their dealings is extraordinary. Maybe if they burn their fingers they'll do less damage in the future.
Jeez Gringo - “no good will in any of their dealings”?

The hyperboLe of this statement is completely OTT.
We’ve got every player to the club that we promised to, never left anyone stranded and have been pretty fair to deal with, I’d say, going by the dealings of Dodoro and Bell.

We are a systems based team especially the defence. I love Battle but the reason he has been so good is because of our system. He is able to peel off and take lots of intercept marks. He is not an exceptional one on one defender. He does have excellent disposal.

I'm sure we will have a plan to replace him and work around him with our system, whether it's a trade or a player on the list. The fact that we're no longer experimenting with guys back there suggests to me we probably have someone lined up.

Don't think it's as simple as we will be 2-4 goals worse without him.

System is one thing but you still need quality to perform it properly. Why not sack the backline and put in the VFL guys if you just need system to be any good? We should sell Wilkie and bring in Cordy if that's all we need.

The club has fetishised getting high draft picks and last year walked Gresham out for picks. Looks like a strategy to me. The same idiots want to pay $1.2 million a year for a decade to bring in a guy that does his best work in the toilets at Revs and probably not even going to make it though his first year before being delisted.
Reckon you're right about Battle that we are happy to walk him for the pick, but is there any sign we want Oliver? We haven't even been mentioned, don't think we'll go there.

The Battle one, I wish he was staying but it's not often you get a chance at such a high pick for a player. If you told your average fan that we're getting pick 5 or 6 for Battle they'd fall over. I can understand the thinking by the club but we need to hit the picks, as you said earlier we let Gresh walk but Collard at this stage looks like a bust. Hope he turns it round next year.

Jeez Gringo - “no good will in any of their dealings”?

The hyperboLe of this statement is completely OTT.
We’ve got every player to the club that we promised to, never left anyone stranded and have been pretty fair to deal with, I’d say, going by the dealings of Dodoro and Bell.

The club has no good will because we are into the start of a fourth consecutive rebuild and no promise of improvement on the horizon. Bringing in mass kids will help at just about the exact moment that all the old guys step out. I'm sick of the club. Pleased for you all if you are enjoying the ride though.

System is one thing but you still need quality to perform it properly. Why not sack the backline and put in the VFL guys if you just need system to be any good? We should sell Wilkie and bring in Cordy if that's all we need.
Maybe there are elements of his role that they think are replaceable by someone that's cheaper? Obviously you still need quality but if they are happy to walk him they have to have some thought about replacing him. Enright and Lyon will have a plan, right?

GI'm nearly certain that the club has told him that they'd rather him walk as long as it gets us band one.

If they were keen they would have spend weeks on the phone to the manager and worked out a deal.
Geez you talk some shit.....

You have no idea what has gone on, or what motivates him. For all you know he has a missus that loves money and got in his ear to move clubs for another 100k per year!!

From memory, early this year the club dropped a teaser that they were about to announce Battle's re-signing!!

Just because you imagined it, doesn't mean it happened!

The club has no good will because we are into the start of a fourth consecutive rebuild and no promise of improvement on the horizon. Bringing in mass kids will help at just about the exact moment that all the old guys step out. I'm sick of the club. Pleased for you all if you are enjoying the ride though.

NtNxPin.jpeg

In-form Giant on trade watch​

James Peatling’s purple patch of form in the past month has not gone unnoticed, with St Kilda showing interest in the out-of-contract Greater Western Sydney midfielder.
Peatling polled the maximum 10 votes in the AFL Coaches’ Association’s champion player of the year award for his role in the Giants’ come-from-behind upset win over Brisbane Lions at the Gabba on Saturday.

James Peatling celebrating with fans after the Giants’ win over Hawthorn in round 21.

James Peatling celebrating with fans after the Giants’ win over Hawthorn in round 21.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES
He also picked up six votes against Melbourne a fortnight earlier, and is averaging almost 21 disposals, seven clearances and nine tackles across the past four weeks to emerge as an unlikely key part of the Giants’ six-match winning streak.
GWS plucked Peatling from their VFL team in the 2021 mid-season draft, and he has become head recruiter Adrian Caruso’s latest bargain-basement gem, playing 41 games since.
A new deal at the Giants is not imminent, a well-placed source told this masthead on the condition of anonymity, with unrestricted free agents Harry Perryman, Isaac Cumming and Nick Haynes all drawing rival interest as well.
First-round picks Conor Stone and Ryan Angwin are also on expiring contracts, while the likes of Finn Callaghan, Brent Daniels and Lachie Ash are out of contract next season.

Goalkicking Saint being monitored

St Kilda free agent Tim Membrey’s good recent form has him on the radar of clubs looking for a goalkicking forward to complement their attack.
The 30-year-old has kicked 11 goals in four matches as he has stepped up to fill the void left by injured key forward Max King and reminded opposition clubs of his talent.
Two industry sources confirmed clubs lacking firepower were monitoring his progress as he remains unsigned at the Saints, where he has shown leadership in 176 matches at the club.
Saints veteran [PLAYERCARD]Tim Membrey[/PLAYERCARD] prepares to mark on the lead.

Saints veteran Tim Membrey prepares to mark on the lead.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

The Saints recently re-signed Cooper Sharman, while King is locked in until the end of 2026. This masthead can also reveal Mason Wood has been locked in to play with St Kilda next season.
The defence-oriented Saints are alongside Richmond and North Melbourne as Victorian-based teams unable to kick decent scores this season.

Have we been into Peatling for a while?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon you're right about Battle that we are happy to walk him for the pick, but is there any sign we want Oliver? We haven't even been mentioned, don't think we'll go there.

The Battle one, I wish he was staying but it's not often you get a chance at such a high pick for a player. If you told your average fan that we're getting pick 5 or 6 for Battle they'd fall over. I can understand the thinking by the club but we need to hit the picks, as you said earlier we let Gresh walk but Collard at this stage looks like a bust. Hope he turns it round next year.

High picks are good but there is probably less than a 10% chance that we get a better player, a 40% chance at a similar level player and the rest either a bust or downgrade. The chance of them being a star are probably single digits.

If we go previous pick 6 for example. Excluding the last couple of years.... Rachele, Grainger- Barass, McAsey, Ben King, Stephenson, Petrevski-Seton, Aaron Francis, Marchbank, Scharenberg, Macrae, Wingard, Conca, Rohan, Yaran, Meyers, Thorp.

King and Macrae the two stand out players.

Really really want to keep Battle - key part of our rock solid defence which is the only thing we are elite in. Prepared to pay over the odds but unfortunately there is a point (not sure what it is) where it just isn’t value for money.

Re Trades - as a transition mid I would look at Jack Macrae - getting on but can certainly find the footy and if he is a solid citizen and prepared to educate our developing mids I don’t mind it.

Written this before but I would be in constant contact with Finn Callaghan’s manager to see if there was even the slightest interest in coming home to the Bayside after 2025 - exactly what we need and would be prepared to pay over the odds (but value for money!)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back