List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow if any of those names become reality the club is in for a major shake up.

The club obviously rates this draft group really highly and are prepared to gamble all their chips. Getting more than 2 top 15 picks would make for an exciting draft night! Dalrymple would be on cloud nine.
All those names have been linked with exits for 12 months 😂

My preference is that the arse doesn’t fall out of the list and we’re left in a north or hawthorn predicament where the list lacks senior presence.

IF we were to move on from Steele, Ross, Membrey and Crouch in this off we would have to try and bring in a combination of older players on the cheap (trade wise) to offset that.

I thought throwing Steele, Howard & Membrey names out there was just scuttlebutt?

If true the club are prepared for significant changes....😦
Howard has had no signs of a contract extension tabled… 2 games left and he was shopped last year.

Membrey is on the table to be traded - it’s been confirmed that Carlton and Melbourne both tried to do a deal and we didn’t think their offer was good enough.

Steele has been linked to a trade via media for 12 months and was linked as recently as a few weeks back.

I thought throwing Steele, Howard & Membrey names out there was just scuttlebutt?

If true the club are prepared for significant changes....😦
If we get pick 6 or so for Battle we will have a significant draft hand. Trading out the likes of Steele would be overkill. We wouldn't get much for him and we'd be heading further down the ladder.

Ross basically said he's one of our most important players a few weeks ago and lauded his lone role in the midfield, he isn't getting traded, we need to add others alongside him which we can hopefully do.

Howard has had no signs of a contract extension tabled… 2 games left and he was shopped last year.

Membrey is on the table to be traded - it’s been confirmed that Carlton and Melbourne both tried to do a deal and we didn’t think their offer was good enough.

Steele has been linked to a trade via media for 12 months and was linked as recently as a few weeks back.
Membrey is an unrestricted free agent, won't be traded.

If we get pick 6 or so for Battle we will have a significant draft hand. Trading out the likes of Steele would be overkill. We wouldn't get much for him and we'd be heading further down the ladder.

Ross basically said he's one of our most important players a few weeks ago and lauded his lone role in the midfield, he isn't getting traded, we need to add others alongside him which we can hopefully do.
Wouldn’t get caught up too much in what Ross or anyone says in the media.

Case in point. He wanted Gresham to stay - which Gresham said so himself.

My worry is that he is 32 next year, compared to a 30 year old Macrae, plus Parker has already shown signs of slowing this year. Macrae is suffering more from being out of position rather than age.

Agree on the leadership point. Honestly if we cut both Crouch and Ross then both wouldn't be a terrible idea - with Parker more half forward and Macrae in the guts.

In an ideal world whoever we bring in is just a bridging player. I'm hoping that if you look at what Phillipou has been able to produce. in two years he'll be our best mid and absolute A grade. Looking at players like Garcia coming on, you are seeing a kid with as much potential as a top 10 pick. We'll draft more this draft and have Dow, Henry, Clark all returning from injury and better with a full preseason.

There is opportunity cost to bringing in players. Parker and Macrae aren't the future but they can help shape it. My guess would be that Macrae still has a fair bit of trade value. Parker probably goes cheap to free cap space for Sydney.

To me Parker has the game that suits us best too. Macrae is a gun but less hurt factor and Parker being able to play forward makes him very adaptable. Parker is a leader too.

In an ideal world whoever we bring in is just a bridging player. I'm hoping that if you look at what Phillipou has been able to produce. in two years he'll be our best mid and absolute A grade. Looking at players like Garcia coming on, you are seeing a kid with as much potential as a top 10 pick. We'll draft more this draft and have Dow, Henry, Clark all returning from injury and better with a full preseason.

There is opportunity cost to bringing in players. Parker and Macrae aren't the future but they can help shape it. My guess would be that Macrae still has a fair bit of trade value. Parker probably goes cheap to free cap space for Sydney.

To me Parker has the game that suits us best too. Macrae is a gun but less hurt factor and Parker being able to play forward makes him very adaptable. Parker is a leader too.

The other thing with these short term experienced mentor types is it makes it easier to turn over the list each year to allow for the mandatory draft picks.

So I wouldn’t get too caught up in age if they’re the right players at the right price.

He’s averaging 25 touches 6 clearances in the SANFL as well. Not sure why Reid, Smillie, O’Sullivan are higher on draft boards than Sid.
Cal Twomey said he’s a Caleb Serong type, but I think he’s got a better burst of speed than Serong. More a Merrett/Warner type from that video.

When you watched full champs matches he wasn't as impressive. Cut together the highlights look amazing but in actual game dominance he wasn't as strong as some others.

Smilie was an early pick one contender as was FOS. FOS has injury as an excuse for not living up to last year. Draper is a definite top 10 player still. I think Draper probably goes to Adelaide around pick 5.

Reid had a champs run that made him look elite. Haven't seen him above Draper.

Jack Steele and Tim Membrey for Melbourne's FRDP plus Clayton Oliver and the 2 clubs go 50/50 on Oliver's salary.

I'm not sure if anyone would like that idea or if that's win win or lose lose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the same token I wouldn't get too caught up in the dart throwing of gettable.

There is absolutely no way we will be trading Jack Steele.
Steele wasn’t on gettable.

If the right offer comes along most our list could go.

Smoke… fire with Jack.

We are a decent chance to jump Melbourne in the next 2 games.

Will jumping Melbourne and staying above Adelaide really hurt who we draft ?

Will also push the Battle pick higher ?

Really caught in wanting to win but drafting two elite mids head space 🙈

Couldn’t give two hoots about winning these last two games.

People talk about “winning culture” blah blah blah. We’re not North Melbourne or West Coast. We’ve had a largely competitive season, our kids are being developed to win but for the sake of the best outcome for our future we need access to the best kids possible this year.

Two top 5 picks in one year. Yes please.

Steele wasn’t on gettable.

If the right offer comes along most our list could go.

Smoke… fire with Jack.
It doesn't work like that in the AFL though. The player is contracted so he'd have to have an offer from a club that he has agreed to, we would then need to negotiate a trade.

It's completely different to Gresham who was out of contract and a free agent.

What would we get for Steele? A pick like 15 so we can head further down the ladder? Would be a basket case type of move.

He’s averaging 25 touches 6 clearances in the SANFL as well. Not sure why Reid, Smillie, O’Sullivan are higher on draft boards than Sid.
Cal Twomey said he’s a Caleb Serong type, but I think he’s got a better burst of speed than Serong. More a Merrett/Warner type from that video.
Completely agree. I don’t get why he seems to be locked as outside the top 3

Jack Steele and Tim Membrey for Melbourne's FRDP plus Clayton Oliver and the 2 clubs go 50/50 on Oliver's salary.

I'm not sure if anyone would like that idea or if that's win win or lose lose.
There would be 17 clubs willing to offer better than MELB losing a very high pick plus Oliver regardless of contract. Supporter base would legitimately riot.

He doesn’t have Merrett’s kicking and he doesn’t have the damaging power from stoppage of Warner. If you want an exact comparison, Tanner Bruhn is pretty similar

Howard has specifically spoken on radio that his contact negotiations were asked, by his management team, to be pushed back until the end of the year so he can sure up a better deal. For all the claims of him being shopped around, despite him clearly being our number one choice for key back, there was absolutely no realistic talk of it happening outside of those idiots on Gettable talking a lot of shit.

Quite frankly, I think that almost all the trade talk about our best 22 is based more on inquiries from rival clubs as opposed to any desire for the club or player to move on. Would we entertain Steele for two first round picks? Of course we would but that's a fair distance from what would be realistically offered or what the player wants.

A couple of points
1. If we are looking to trade out the likes of Steele, Membrey, Ross, Howard etc we have mo reason to win the last two games and need to play Arie, Garcia, Keeler, Hotton and other kids. We should not f..k up our draft hand now it's almost certain Battle will be gone.
2. Bridging players are ok. Remember the impact Paddy Ryder had with the team?
3. I still can't get my head around trading Howard, especially now Battle is almost certain to go.
The only elite functioning line in the team. ( 3rd best defence in the league) and we lose two out of 6 players with one an excellent intercept marking hard running back, the other a hard working key back who has improved markedly this year and who has excellent disposal.
I know they benefit from Ross Lyon team defence up field but to me it is tearing the guts out of our backline.
Will have to be looked at after trade period to see what has transpired and the direction the club has taken with the list.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Parker's leadership and the way he goes about it is one of the most attractive things about bringing him to the club for me.

It doesn't work like that in the AFL though. The player is contracted so he'd have to have an offer from a club that he has agreed to, we would then need to negotiate a trade.

It's completely different to Gresham who was out of contract and a free agent.

What would we get for Steele? A pick like 15 so we can head further down the ladder? Would be a basket case type of move.
I see you are finally grasping the potential situation.

Smoke …. Fire.
Howard has specifically spoken on radio that his contact negotiations were asked, by his management team, to be pushed back until the end of the year so he can sure up a better deal. For all the claims of him being shopped around, despite him clearly being our number one choice for key back, there was absolutely no realistic talk of it happening outside of those idiots on Gettable talking a lot of shit.

Quite frankly, I think that almost all the trade talk about our best 22 is based more on inquiries from rival clubs as opposed to any desire for the club or player to move on. Would we entertain Steele for two first round picks? Of course we would but that's a fair distance from what would be realistically offered or what the player wants.
Howard has been on the table for 12 months. We didn’t get the offers we wanted. So he wasn’t allowed to leave.

Do you know the last stkilda player who asked for a contract to be held off until years end was?

Gresham.

The club isn’t always the devil here.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back