List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

The off-field issues at Melbourne mean Houston is considering other clubs in Victoria to continue his AFL career, but in any case a deal could be very difficult.

Port Adelaide wants two first-round picks for Houston even if they are in the teens.

A single pick inside the top-10 could also get the deal over the line with a sweetener, but it remains unclear how another Melbourne club could get it done.

Geelong wants Western Bulldogs’ Bailey Smith and Hawthorn is set on Tom Barrass from West Coast.

St Kilda is eager to bolster its draft position.

Jay Clark

Did I read it right earlier, Jay Clark said we're still hopeful of Battle signing on?

Did I read it right earlier, Jay Clark said we're still hopeful of Battle signing on?
He had an article a week or two ago

Then had an article today where he said it…. With the next sentence saying but Nick Haynes would be a replacement option for us if he left.

Parker over Macrae thanks

Bring him home
Parker has the leadership and hardness and could finish his career as a forward once his midfield game drops away. His game seems more contested too.
My worry is that he is 32 next year, compared to a 30 year old Macrae, plus Parker has already shown signs of slowing this year. Macrae is suffering more from being out of position rather than age.

Agree on the leadership point. Honestly if we cut both Crouch and Ross then both wouldn't be a terrible idea - with Parker more half forward and Macrae in the guts.

I've just seen Nick Haynes' disposal stats this year in the VFL! I know it's only the VFL but he is going BIG! We've been into him before, as a 3rd tall in our backline we could do worse, even at his age.

Another name we've been linked to in the past (who was on gettable today) was Tom Clurey. I'm not convinced, but he could also be a stop gap.

Obviously we'd prefer a younger 3rd tall, but as a stop gap until Arie/Van Es come good - these two probably should come into consideration.

Why are Hawks interested in Barrass as well as Battle? Surely they don't want both?
Is it possible that Battle hasn't committed as there is some delay until Barrass says yes or no to Hawks?

Just a coincidence or a conspiracy?

Have no idea? But where there is smoke......

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Makes sense to me.

DGB hasn't come on as hoped. Ideally they want to free Weddle up to play on a wing and Sicily plays loose.

On the other hand, it's a lot of money to tie up on key defenders if they land both

Makes sense to me.

DGB hasn't come on as hoped. Ideally they want to free Weddle up to play on a wing and Sicily plays loose.

On the other hand, it's a lot of money to tie up on key defenders if they land both
I don't think it's any worse than what melbpurne did with May and Lever

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we let Seb go and manage to get crouch out as a medical retirement than I am all for getting Parker in. Goes about it the right way, has invaluable IP and much better player than Seb.

If we turn over the list, I can’t be for all draftee’s.

From a key defender standpoint, are there any struggling forwards we could target to swing them into defence?

Crouch and the club need to make a decision before the seasons end. My belief is he is shot, you dont come back from a chronic knee with zero cartilage.

Give Seb Ross a 1 year contract as a thankyou for his loyal service. Keep him on as a VFL mentor for the young kids.

Then if we can get Peatling and McRae in the door plus 2 x first round midfielders, our midfield and our future will look a whole lot brighter in 2025. What a difference that would make.

We will still need a ready to go key defender in the Butts or Edwards mould. If we can get one or both of them in then delist Cordy. The more flexible trade options will open up a lot more movement this trade period.

If Gubby, SOS & Dalrymple can excel this trade & draft period it will set us up to really attack the future.

Go Saints!

Ps.We havent missed Billings, Gresham or Coffield this year so our list management team are getting it 100% right.
Yep makes sense

30 year olds should not be part of the plan. Have we learnt nothing from Crouch, you get these guys then 5 minutes later you’re looking for their replacement.

Crouch was 26 as a free agent, his knee is shot, but this argument would've been non existent 6 months ago. I'm all for getting guns just out of their teens, but we would've planned to get 5-7 prime years out of Crouch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was a massive fan but he turns 33 next year and is a shell of the player he was in his B&F year. Don't see the logic in doing this. If we lose Battle we would need to trade for him to not distort the compensation, Blues can get him for nothing.
We may not have a better choice BUT if we chase Haynes because Battle leaves just shows we are in no man’s land (or even the Gobi Desert which is worse!)

There is no easy answer here - the professionalism of the Club has improved since RTB has returned but the previous drafting plus the Academies, Father/Son, Norf handouts and looming Tassie concessions put us right behind the 8 ball.

Bloody difficult conundrum - hence they were sniffing around damaged goods like Thomas.

Why is Hawthorn prepared to pay Battle so much is the question people should be asking.

Have a look at Hawthorn. There is a club that is executing a text book perfect list rebuild. Not a lot they have done wrong and a lot they have done right.

And yet they are prepared to pay Battle big bucks - why ?

If he is good enough for the Hawks list rebuild , we should really be thinking more deeply about what role he plays in our list rebuild.

Battle goes with pick 6 as compo.
Re-sign Howard for 2 years.
Caminiti plays back (he looked a natural there, and is a better height for CHB than Battle).
Keep Membrey for another year, he looks rejuvenated of late.
Take 5 and 6 to the draft or split one of them for another first rounder. Draft mids, mids and more mids.
Bring in a Macrae/Sheil/Parker type to fill Crouch and Ross' midfield hole.
Peatling for a late second/early third in a Steele type trade.
Any money ball types for gaps such as backup ruck, small defender and small forward.

Keep on the path of draft first (especially top 10 picks), then you can look at trades in a couple of years when Tassie is ruining the draft. Always look for Free Agents but can never rely on it as a small club. Make sure we have some leaders around the kids.

We can't really go backwards from 14th with this strategy. How far we go up depends on how good our crop of young players become. The more we draft early the more chance of us finding an elite player.
Bang!
Where do I sign?
Spot on

I know they’re supposed to look good at this level but if this isn’t the player we’ve been crying out for the last 10 years I don’t what is.
He’s why we can’t finish above Adelaide.

How good is his attack on the footy and then that spin to break through the Smillie tackle?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the best player in the draft. Elite traits and a future AFL captain IMO

The off-field issues at Melbourne mean Houston is considering other clubs in Victoria to continue his AFL career, but in any case a deal could be very difficult.

Port Adelaide wants two first-round picks for Houston even if they are in the teens.

A single pick inside the top-10 could also get the deal over the line with a sweetener, but it remains unclear how another Melbourne club could get it done.

Geelong wants Western Bulldogs’ Bailey Smith and Hawthorn is set on Tom Barrass from West Coast.

St Kilda is eager to bolster its draft position

Apart from releasing Battle, how else do we bolster our draft position.

Trading out players? Who else?
Splitting the compensation pick?
Trading next/future years draft picks for this?

Considering we are also likely to take 2 x NGA's and a F/S there are going to be some surprise domino's falling. I get the feeling the club has some shock list decisions brewing.

Why is Hawthorn prepared to pay Battle so much is the question people should be asking.

Have a look at Hawthorn. There is a club that is executing a text book perfect list rebuild. Not a lot they have done wrong and a lot they have done right.

And yet they are prepared to pay Battle big bucks - why ?

If he is good enough for the Hawks list rebuild , we should really be thinking more deeply about what role he plays in our list rebuild.
Clubs overpay players to bring them across. Doesn’t mean they are worth that.

See Gresham to Essendon.
Apart from releasing Battle, how else do we bolster our draft position.

Trading out players? Who else?
Splitting the compensation pick?
Trading next/future years draft picks for this?

Considering we are also likely to take 2 x NGA's and a F/S there are going to be some surprise domino's falling. I get the feeling the club has some shock list decisions brewing.
Howard Membrey Steele Paton Ross - All shopped.

Package some picks to try move up for those needing points.

Depending on how the draft is shaping up trade a future first - ie talk of Harry Armstrong as a top 10 pick, Murphy Reid top 5.

So what does that 10-14 group start to look like if that’s the case?

Would the Dees give us their first round DP and change for Jack Steele and Tim Membrey?

How good is his attack on the footy and then that spin to break through the Smillie tackle?

I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the best player in the draft. Elite traits and a future AFL captain IMO
He’s averaging 25 touches 6 clearances in the SANFL as well. Not sure why Reid, Smillie, O’Sullivan are higher on draft boards than Sid.
Cal Twomey said he’s a Caleb Serong type, but I think he’s got a better burst of speed than Serong. More a Merrett/Warner type from that video.

Clubs overpay players to bring them across. Doesn’t mean they are worth that.

See Gresham to Essendon.

Howard Membrey Steele Paton Ross - All shopped.

Package some picks to try move up for those needing points.

Depending on how the draft is shaping up trade a future first - ie talk of Harry Armstrong as a top 10 pick, Murphy Reid top 5.

So what does that 10-14 group start to look like if that’s the case?

It dont know whether to be scared or excited with those statements. Wow if any of those names become reality the club is in for a major list shake up. Surely there are a number of other players in motion as no club could afford to lose senior players of that calibre without bringing in others OR are we simply planning to bottom out?

They obviously rate this draft group highly, which is sound. But given the depth why the urgency to get so many early picks? From whats been alluded they are prepared to gamble all their chips on this years draft. Ballsy...

Getting more early picks would make for an exciting draft night, Dalrymple will be a busy man!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back