List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I would like to see a completely new midfield setup for next season. If this means trading Steele and others, so be it. There will be pain, but we need to go forward and contest finals and we can extract no more blood from the stone. Pou, Hugo, Hall, Hotton- get them in there as a unit and build from there.

I see you are finally grasping the potential situation.

Smoke …. Fire.

Howard has been on the table for 12 months. We didn’t get the offers we wanted. So he wasn’t allowed to leave.

Do you know the last stkilda player who asked for a contract to be held off until years end was?

Gresham.

The club isn’t always the devil here.
Yep, anyone could be traded.

Also I could win the lotto.

Steele comes up every single year probably because of his laconic style. Just like King.

Fact is he won't be traded.

Yep, anyone could be traded.

Also I could win the lotto.

Steele comes up every single year probably because of his laconic style. Just like King.

Fact is he won't be traded.
I never categorically said he will 100% be traded.

I am making clear. Like I did with Billings Membrey Howard Gresham last year. Well in advanced that made the locals on here angry.

That you should NOT ignore the smoke around Steele.

The club went out of its way to squash any doubt around Marshall.

There is a reason they haven’t done so with Jack right now. Because they currently are not 100% sure.

I see you are finally grasping the potential situation.

Smoke …. Fire.

Howard has been on the table for 12 months. We didn’t get the offers we wanted. So he wasn’t allowed to leave.

Do you know the last stkilda player who asked for a contract to be held off until years end was?

Gresham.

The club isn’t always the devil here.
The talk last year was about us wanting to move him on but rival interests weren't willing to pay enough and now its suddenly the club wants to hold onto him but the player doesnt despite no talk of rival interests this year when key defender stocks are being highly sought after?

Greasham held off contract talk because he was a free agent who had an offer tabled from Essendon. Howard is not and so far there is no interest reported and he himself has said he wants to maximize his worth before signing. Hardly the same situation.

I would like to see a completely new midfield setup for next season. If this means trading Steele and others, so be it. There will be pain, but we need to go forward and contest finals and we can extract no more blood from the stone. Pou, Hugo, Hall, Hotton- get them in there as a unit and build from there.
Hawks did the same thing when they off loaded Mitchell and O'Meara. Doesn't seem to have hurt them so far.
As you've said, if we want to commit to giving game time to Pou, Windy, Garcia etc and this year's draftees then something has to give.

The talk last year was about us wanting to move him on but rival interests weren't willing to pay enough and now its suddenly the club wants to hold onto him but the player doesnt despite no talk of rival interests this year when key defender stocks are being highly sought after?

Greasham held off contract talk because he was a free agent who had an offer tabled from Essendon. Howard is not and so far there is no interest reported and he himself has said he wants to maximize his worth before signing. Hardly the same situation.
We weren’t willing to pay Gresham the 700ish thousand he is getting.

He asked us to not make a formal offer - as it would solidify his market price. We wanted to keep Gresham at our price.

I’m aware at how free agency works mate.

No one knew until this week Melbourne and Carlton both made offers we knocked back for Membrey last October.

So not sure what your logic is here.

All of them were available last year.

As of right Steele is no certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surprised we are shopping Dougal around, reckon he’s been real solid this year. He is prone to the odd brain fade, but think he’s played much better this year.

Macrae is still a jet, 36 touches, 2 goals and 17 clearances or something silly on the weekend in the VFL. Reckon if we can get him for next to nothing we do it.

When you watched full champs matches he wasn't as impressive. Cut together the highlights look amazing but in actual game dominance he wasn't as strong as some others.

Smilie was an early pick one contender as was FOS. FOS has injury as an excuse for not living up to last year. Draper is a definite top 10 player still. I think Draper probably goes to Adelaide around pick 5.

Reid had a champs run that made him look elite. Haven't seen him above Draper.

Mate again you need to stop referring to his champs only and go and watch his full SANFL games. The difference is night and day playing against men. He has what not many other recruits have genuine speed in close and he is as clean as Lachie Neale at ground level. If we were to target one player at the draft it should be him, but as mentioned he wont get past WCE or Adelaide.

Re the Jack Steele discussion its obvious he is not compeltely closed to the idea of leaving himself, the hurdle being what we would expect in a trade. Jack is our best midfielder and Im sure with genuine talent around him he would be be more impactful. Its just now being captain he does a lot of the heavy lifting or the unrewarded running. I still cant process the idea of him playing some where else.

Last edited:
Did Dangerfield extend? Or are they still haggling over 1 or 2 years?
He fits the mould of the player we need, brings great leadership and is still a match winner, I’d be happy to pay him superstar wages whilst the list evolves over the next 2 years. He might consider it given he’s only got a couple years left.

Surprised we are shopping Dougal around, reckon he’s been real solid this year. He is prone to the odd brain fade, but think he’s played much better this year.

Macrae is still a jet, 36 touches, 2 goals and 17 clearances or something silly on the weekend in the VFL. Reckon if we can get him for next to nothing we do it.
Are we? I thought that was baseless speculation.

The same club that traded him because they had no space for him to play...and now they do have space despite the. heading into finals with a pretty good midfield...yet he would automatically get a spot.

They have Cogs Green and Ward that do the heavy lifting seems that Steele just adds to a group they already have.

If it was true then a swap with Peatling and a later pick is sadly a satisfactory deal.

Do we really want to push our captain and bf winner out the door....unless he wants to be pushed...surely it's his decision to make.

Ross is a different story as he has reached his peak and is not getting a senior game...he can go wherever he wishes or play at Sandy with call up as required.

Time stops for no-one sadly

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The same club that traded him because they had no space for him to play...and now they do have space despite the. heading into finals with a pretty good midfield...yet he would automatically get a spot.

They have Cogs Green and Ward that do the heavy lifting seems that Steele just adds to a group they already have.

If it was true then a swap with Peatling and a later pick is sadly a satisfactory deal.

Do we really want to push our captain and bf winner out the door....unless he wants to be pushed...surely it's his decision to make.

Ross is a different story as he has reached his peak and is not getting a senior game...he can go wherever he wishes or play at Sandy with call up as required.

Time stops for no-one sadly

On SM-S916B using BigFooty.com mobile app
From what I hear it ain't the club who loves the Giants.

If we are intending on trading/fa out senior leaders battle/steele/howard/ross/membrey, there is no way we could even think about taking Clayton Oliver on. We would literally have no senior leadership core to be able to handle his issues, and could cause big implications on the way our youth gain standards. He is a huge no for me, whatever the circumstance.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back