List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Set out a very clear plan with time lines and honest conversations. If they have a plan tell the members. It’s hard to judge anything with no KPIs to measure them on. If we are fully rebuilding tell us and tell us why we should trust them. Let players go if you don’t have a vision that has finals in the next few years. It’s not fair on them. If we chase Shield or Parker but want to stay bottom 4 for 3 more years then they are morons. You play kids until they improve. It’s like they flip flop by the week depending on results. They want hope to sell memberships but want to cut hard at the same time by the look of it.

You must not have been following the same club for last 2 years. They’ve been pretty clear aim is to maintain a level of competitiveness, while continuing to build capability and culture. Make of that what you will, but it’s a ‘soft’ rebuild.

They’ve also been pretty clear that just making finals and being mid table serves zero purpose. Subsequently, there’s not much value in just letting players go because we’re not playing finals.

I also seriously doubt the clubs intention is to be bottom 4 for next few years, and saying ‘stay’ implies we’ve already been finishing there which is news to me.

I love the terminology “flip flop” - projection can be a wonderful thing.

If we could get a first rounder for Sharman or Caminiti, then hold onto Alison

Vine Wtf GIF

Richmond are going to be devastated losing the players the are and as a result will end up with a silly amount of draft picks.

I wonder if they would be interested in Hunter Clark, Ryan Byrnes or Zak Jones. Clubs with so many picks often give up higher picks than normal just to bring in some experience. They may even look at Ben Paton or Jack Hayes as options.

I understand Hayes & Paton might be delisted in any event, but we may be able to drag a 3rd rounder or two for them. There are going to be some absolute diamonds later in this draft and other clubs rubbish picks will be gold IMO.

I have watched a lot of footage this year and Im convinced this is the draft year we should go all out on. The depth is ridiculous compared to so many other years.

As an example there is a kid who is the co-captain of the Northern Knights - Zak Johnson. Not many would have heard of him but he is a 185cms good size kid averaging 26 disposals, 6 marks and can also kick goals. He is Mr Consistent being good at most things but his ball winning and organisation skills are excellent. He is rated in the top 10 for RMC Coates League player award votes, but you will hardly see him mentioned in any phantom drafts. I would liken him to a Josh Dunkley - unassuming rugged and gets the job done. For me he would be a sensational late pick and in other draft years would be a top 25 pick. There are plenty of kids like Zak this year.

Dalrymple has a penchant for WA kids so I wouldnt be surprised if we pulled a smoky out of there this year also.

Last edited:
Sheil went down with cramp just as Essendon were making a charge in the last vs Lions, it was pretty funny to see, they had a long shot of the ground through all the players in the Essendon forward line and there was just this one guy sitting alone on his arse unable to move on the wing. HiLaRiOuS we still want to trade him in. So very ****ing St Kilda.

Didn't see the match but checking the stats looks like a bit of a nothing game from Sheila last night. Apart from oily, how'd he actually look?

He's been acceptably ordinary in a bog ordinary team since coming back from the 2's imo. Relucantly I'll say I have seen him have his moments, I've unfortunately seen a bit of Essendon this year, he occasionally does smart things and sometimes kicks it well, I'd say he'd be ahead of Seb Ross but only just. Honestly not sure why we'd need him if we're keeping Steele/Stocker and getting Windy back in there. Back in our blokes and stop playing the insurance game ffs it's embarassing.

Surely I am not the only one that doesn’t mind if we take Shiel?

Assuming little to no draft capital is lost and he is on a moderate salary, then why not?

Good to have some experienced midfield depth, ala Jones. And we lost Crouch this year (nobody seems to be considering he will be back next year but that is a possibility too, but he was a big loss). And Parker doesn’t seem likely.

Do I rate him? Not really… but for the right price I’m indifferent, not even close to meltworthy.

We are going all in on a young team, and that’s well and good, but young teams tend to lack consistency and it’s handy to have some experienced players around like Marshall, Steele, Wood, Sincs, Wilkie etc. could do worse then adding Shiel to that group, I wouldn’t worry about him taking a spot from a developing player either.

It’s very meh, but not all of the off season is glitz and glamour and even if he do pick him up and even if he does make the team, he won’t be around for long anyways.

Sheil went down with cramp just as Essendon were making a charge in the last vs Lions, it was pretty funny to see, they had a long shot of the ground through all the players in the Essendon forward line and there was just this one guy sitting alone on his arse unable to move on the wing. HiLaRiOuS we still want to trade him in. So very ****ing St Kilda.
Not only this ,but what is the cost going to be .I am sure Essendope are going to want our first rounder for him.
We have seen what it is like dealing with the injectors,just wasted time and energy that could be used more productively.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not only this ,but what is the cost going to be .I am sure Essendope are going to want our first rounder for him.
We have seen what it is like dealing with the injectors,just wasted time and energy that could be used more productively.
The dodo is extinct.
Although I’m not sure that will change their mentality around ‘winning’ every trade period just yet.

The pres is standing up to the whole AFL system and demanding changes to the academy and father son bidding process :tearsofjoy:

He’s whinging about the system instead of working within it. The academy bidding needed fixing and hopefully that’s done now. Time get the list managers, coaches and footy department in one place, Set a definitive outline of a plan moving forward and sell it to us. He keeps making a dick of himself putting his head up so has retreated. Time to grow a pair and stand up.

You must not have been following the same club for last 2 years. They’ve been pretty clear aim is to maintain a level of competitiveness, while continuing to build capability and culture. Make of that what you will, but it’s a ‘soft’ rebuild.

They’ve also been pretty clear that just making finals and being mid table serves zero purpose. Subsequently, there’s not much value in just letting players go because we’re not playing finals.

I also seriously doubt the clubs intention is to be bottom 4 for next few years, and saying ‘stay’ implies we’ve already been finishing there which is news to me.

I love the terminology “flip flop” - projection can be a wonderful thing.

Where was my letter? When was it announced? He keeps pushing timelines out then saying we will go down for a short time, then a longer time then apologising for saying what he said. He needs to get a definite plan from Lyon and his minions. They have total control so make them accountable to us. We pay the campaigners

He’s whinging about the system instead of working within it. The academy bidding needed fixing and hopefully that’s done now. Time get the list managers, coaches and footy department in one place, Set a definitive outline of a plan moving forward and sell it to us. He keeps making a dick of himself putting his head up so has retreated. Time to grow a pair and stand up.
patience grasshopper.

it's just a sport ;)

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Literally why though. Key forwards are THAT hard to get. We can only get them from the draft because we aren't going to get any good free agents.

Any key forward thats good enough to get to free agency and be half decent ends up getting boatloads of cash. That's because they're so hard to find.

Think about how many early picks have been spent on big men that have just turned out to be duds that just dominated against the under agers because they were bigger than them.

Max has shown the ability to dominate games, kick bags, be one of the top contested marks in the comp & grew up going for the club.

He's had two injury riddled years. Give him a farking break.
Yes two injury riddled years. His whole career so far has been more impacted by injury than not. It’s possible he’ll mature into a physically robust forward focal point and it’s possible he won’t. He might turn out to be a ‘couldabeen but injury f**** him”. I sincerely hope that we keep him and he fulfils his potential. And it’s not just being more physically robust that’s required. Intensity in the contest, second efforts, pressure acts all need big improvement.
It’s a big risk to trade him and a risk to keep him if the right offer came along. He’s not untouchable IMO. If the right offer came along we’d have to entertain it.

Last edited:
We look so much better though when we’re not just bombing the ball in high to King and hoping he catches it and kicks straight. Straight away that lowers the percentage of a goal.
The trick is not to trade him but to fit him in to the “no King” side and make him a team asset. Change the way he plays and the way we use him.

Isn't Shiel owed close to a mill for next year?

Yeah.
We're not total idiots.

If we have interest in signing him- it would clearly be as a salary dump where we get him and something good like a 2nd rounder in a deep draft etc.

That's the attraction presumably over him vs say parker (who may not be available to us in any event- so it's not like we'd be necessarily choosing shiel over parker)

If we could get a first rounder for Sharman or Caminiti, then hold onto Alison and keep Membrey going for depth.
We still have our marquee player so haven't weakened our best 22.

I love both of them though :(
Oh Jeez mate , are you ok

Sorry, just no. You're grossly underselling the level of intellect involved simply because they choose not to include you in the information sphere.
They just don't want to give supporters the bad news as revenue will take a hit because of it.

It's all laid out if you choose to see it.
Draft hard before Tassie come in, build the cake in the meantime.

That's all there is. No projections of grandeur, no chest beating, no nuffin. Just more pain and toil for all involved.

Sorry, just no. You're grossly underselling the level of intellect involved simply because they choose not to include you in the information sphere.
They just don't want to give supporters the bad news as revenue will take a hit because of it.

It's all laid out if you choose to see it.
Draft hard before Tassie come in, build the cake in the meantime.

That's all there is. No projections of grandeur, no chest beating, no nuffin. Just more pain and toil for all involved.

They’re going to lose revenue when people give up because they feel like they were strung along.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back