List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty flat that we offered more than Hawthorn and he still said no. Especially since this move was touted as being a monetary decision.

Not sure what the club could’ve done, but it feels pretty uncharacteristic from a person we’ve been repeatedly told “loves the club” and wanted his daughter to run through the banner on the weekend.
I'm just glad the AFL stopped us from further embarrassing ourselves by allowing it.

God, the level of incompetence and spinelessness is incredible.

Light on for small defenders we have - Hastie, OConnell, McLennan, the NGA player Hofmann plus all the AFL group Sinclair, NWM, Webster & Stocker. 8 players has it covered I would have thought.
There's a difference between your NWM/Sinclair/Hastie types and your Websters and Stockers. O'Connell and McLennan aren't ready and Hofmann isn't even on a list yet. I think Bowey would slot right in to Webster's role in the next year or so.

Kozzi Pickett potentially wanting out of Melbourne apparently, Freo and Port the front runners? Wheels are well and truly off there. Wonder if we can get involved somehow?
Kozzi Pickett potentially wanting out of Melbourne apparently, Freo and Port the front runners? Wheels are well and truly off there. Wonder if we can get involved somehow?
Simon CMP Goodwin will be next cab off the rank...book mark it!

Light on for small defenders? We have - Hastie, OConnell, McLennan, the NGA player Hofmann plus all the AFL group Sinclair, NWM, Webster & Stocker. Then Jones & Clark who can also play the position plus Peckett might even start his development as a defensive small. And thats before we even go to the national draft so 11 players has it covered I would have thought.

There's a chance we could get injury, i which case we'd need to rely on playing a midfielder with backline experience, then we only have Jones, Clark, Hill, and Windhager to call on. Probably Wilson too.

Wood, Hill, Wilson, Byrnes, Hastie ... we're sort of sorted on the wing as well.

There's no doubting Houston in an excellent footballer, but he just doesn't fill a position of need and would likely cost too much. Surely Melbourne get something done here involving Pickett.

Wood and Hill are over 30 and probably 2 years off retirement at best barring a miracle. Byrnes looks a GOP. Wilson looks blue chip and Hastie could be anything. I would say that we need to have more runners and better quality ones ideally. If you can get quality without losing too much it’s a good idea when we have done a lot of the bulk list building already.

I heard taylor will be a saint in 2025.

surely lachie hunter will not be on a list next year. Too many issues

Curtis Taylor would be a smart pick up as a Hill replacement. A quick player who can play wing or HFF although he doesnt kick a lot of goals. It would seem a number of our targetted players are about footballing speed, its obviously something the club wants to improve. The kid has also been in a pretty stodgy environment at North hopefully he has plenty of room for improvement.

Battle grew up barracking for Hawthorn. Along with his family. I can see (along with the money) why that would be a major factor. And the childcare. Wonder if childcare goes in the soft cap? 🤔

Jack Higgins wanted to play for his childhood team. If I’d been good enough same for me. I understand it.

Returning to your childhood team doesn’t often figure. Otherwise we would have got Dusty. Although that was rumoured at one point years ago.

Hawthorn have certainly got more out of us than vice versa over the years. Stealing our area all those years ago. And some top players.

Yep, my concern is if he chooses us we would be so flattered we will bend over backwards to make it happen.

Absolutely can't use any if this years first round picks on anthing but midfielders.

If Port would accept next years first rounder + change we would have to consider it. Sincs and Houston on the half back line with NAS moving to a wing.

Nobody has complained more about our ball use then me the last decade, but a side that has Sincs, NAS, Houston and Schoenmaker (provided he can crack the side) looks very dangerous on paper.
I see your point, like GC with the Lachie Weller trade.
However SOS, Allen and SD are not bac yarders like the club has had in the past ie Hanners.
They would salivate at the opportunity to flex their muscles and wheel and deal...case in point Darcy Wilson and a FSRDP for a first coz that is their gig.

Battle grew up barracking for Hawthorn. Along with his family. I can see (along with the money) why that would be a major factor. And the childcare. Wonder if childcare goes in the soft cap? 🤔

Jack Higgins wanted to play for his childhood team. If I’d been good enough same for me. I understand it.

Returning to your childhood team doesn’t often figure. Otherwise we would have got Dusty. Although that was rumoured at one point years ago.

Hawthorn have certainly got more out of us than vice versa over the years. Stealing our area all those years ago. And some top players.

Think the whole family stuff is just an excuse if we offered more money.

Childcare should be included under the hard cap, at the market rate.
Its less but not different than if you offered free housing to players.
I guess there is a line somewhere, like if the club buys Pizza after the game, but you're talking mainstream everyday stuff.

Mind you...the AFL are stupid enough that it might not be obvious to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. We have to go to the draft this year and we may just have 2 top 10s which SHOULD get us two 10 year mids looking at the talent likely to be in that top 10.

All the other talk is just sh#t and giggles.

Last 10 year mid Dalrymple picked up with a high pick is playing VFL for north.

I heard taylor will be a saint in 2025.

surely lachie hunter will not be on a list next year. Too many issues

Pretty sure Curtis is Warnies nephew. Hopefully another kid who grew up a Saint. He looked okay in his first couple of seasons

I am just wondering HAS any of the BIG CLUBS ever lost a player to Free Agency? I cant immediately think of any....

Mathew White : Richmond
Eddie Betts : Carlton
Buddie
Dale Thomas : Colliingwood
Jarrad Waite: Carlton
Ty Vickery ( who was somehow "restricted" ) Richmond
Nathan Brown : Collingwood
Reece Conca : Richmond
Alex Fasolo : Collingwood
Brandon Ellis :Richmond
Joe Daniher: Essendon
Shaun McKernan: Essendon
Mabiour Choi : Richmond
Liam Jones : Carlton

Soldo's missus is unhappy in Adelaide (who wouldn't be?), they want to come back to Melb.
Steady on Sunshine...Adelaide is a better city than Melbourne, I have lived in both and Hobart as well. Adelaideans are very happy that Melbournenites are continually drunk on their own bath water...it help keeps the Riff Raff out of the state...btw the coffee is better in Adelaide too...sorry to burst your bubble, oh and the wine and the beer and the beaches...oh and they have Gather round as well, and the super cars in the city, and the one of the best festivals in the world it runs for 2 weeks. every Feb. and the Yorke peninsula, and Kangaroo Island, and the Flinders ranges and the Adelaide Hills, you really need to get more old mate!!

I can understand wanting to play for your childhood club when you’re 18, 19 etc. But 8 years into your career? I’d be more concerned about playing with my mates than playing at a club I supported 8 years earlier.

At the end of the day, he said it was about money and providing for his family. We offered more than Hawks (which surely would’ve covered his childcare) and he still chose to leave.

Just hope we get Band 1 because clearly he never had any intention of staying since we eventually offered what he claimed to want.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back