List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Very disappointed - hopefully there wasn’t more background to this that some have alluded to which may have contributed to the decision and it was purely money (I get it’s a big earn and he needs to look after his family).

Anyway, he is history, and he needs to live with his decision and the Club and supporters need to move on asap. So let’s all hope for a first round compensation, though we all know the AFL makes up the rules as it goes along. They might be sympathetic to shut up the Pres and RTB for a while re draft inequities - who knows?

I think their inclusions will make them stronger, I can't see them going backwards next year. Knowing our luck will will end a of first round compo for Josh.
Or, like us, they get injuries and a much harder draw. You just never know.

If he has accepted an offer that only generates band 2 compensation, when the club’s offer (if matched) would have generated band 1, then the club will be entitled to feel filthy about it.

Let’s hope he has done the right thing by the club.
If it doesn't trigger band 1 then I suspect he won't be welcome through the doors of Moorabbin for a very very long time.

Pretty devo to lose Battle. So many times this year watching him secure up the play and get us out of trouble I don't quite think people realise we don't have a direct replacement - especially the age bracket he's in. Ah well, may the St Kilda shi*tshow serve up something for us to chat about. I want Mowman's thoughts rn

Wearing THAT jumper for the next 5 years or so?
I’d be regretting my decision already
When he's training on a disused rubbish tip and his precious kid's growing an extra head with three eyes he'll be regretting it

Not going to overstay my welcome, but I will say we have plenty of money to throw around at the moment and I understand we have offered Battle a front loaded deal.

We have no one on huge money currently - though we will have to pay some of our younger key players in the future. Thankfully we have room to manoeuvre and restructure over the next few years if need be.
Now that you’ve established you deal with the accounts at Hawthorn you can leave. Ps Battle is a seat sniffer.

Who are they paying at the moment that you would legitimately say is on serious coin in the short term.
Sicily would be about it, maybe day.

Newcombe - Still would be on a prove it deal
Nash - Just re-signed but couldn't imagine would be anymore than 500-600 a year
Moore - Would not be on big money

The issue will be the future. If their ascension is sustained they will need to re-sign a lot of guys who will rightly demand more.

Pretty devo to lose Battle. So many times this year watching him secure up the play and get us out of trouble I don't quite think people realise we don't have a direct replacement - especially the age bracket he's in. Ah well, may the St Kilda shi*tshow serve up something for us to chat about. I want Mowman's thoughts rn
He’s not happy, will check after his afternoon tea

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if Ralph is correct and we get Band 2 it means that Battle has screwed us over.

However if we offered that and he immediately selected Hawks
1. We have done everything possible
2. Hawks would have matched or at least upped the offer to band 1 level.

Whatever we offered substantially and if he went for less, well UFA.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

When he's training on a disused rubbish tip and his precious kid's growing an extra head with three eyes he'll be regretting it

The whole "rubbish tip site " thing is silly. Its not a disincentive to anyone.

Tom Morris reporting that Hawthorn didn’t match St Kilda’s revised offer to Battle.

Assuming that is correct then it doesn’t look good for band 1.
Still may have upped it to 900 over 6 or 950 over 5 not 6.

I just had a look at the Battle vs Tomlinson comparison stats for the year.

Obviously Josh is 5 years younger and played more games this year, but there is not a lot of difference between the two. Battle 17.8 disposals vs Tomlinson 14.9 and the other notable stat was marks Battle 7.6 vs Tomlinson 4.6 per game. Tomlinson actually rebounds more and spends a more time on the ground.

I know its a poor second, but at least getting Tomlinson in will mostly fill the hole until we can develop the younger players in the role. The kicker is after the trade/draft periods, we will have two new shiny midfielders on the list and will soon move on!

Still may have upped it to 900 over 6 or 950 over 5 not 6.

Possible.

Morris said “the Hawks deal doesn’t match the Saints cash…”

It doesn’t mean Hawthorn didn’t increase their offer but they didn’t match the quantum.

Morris also didn’t rule out the possibility of band 1 compensation but that it was uncertain.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back