List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Unfortunately the fact he was unrestricted really put us in a tough place. He's obviously a Hawthorn person, taking unders to play down the road he doesn't really care about our club and wants to go there. We need people made of sterner stuff.

If we manage to get pick 8 it will be amazing out of the situation we were in. If we were offering him 700k it's hardly unders.

He's done very well for himself.
I think there will be more movements this season.. A lot of the old brigade may not gel very well with the current regime/high level of standards.. e.g. Constant talk about young players like Owens, Windhagher setting standards at training.. More players will move, let’s embrace change and exciting times ahead.

Unfortunately the fact he was unrestricted really put us in a tough place. He's obviously a Hawthorn person, taking unders to play down the road he doesn't really care about our club and wants to go there. We need people made of sterner stuff.

If we manage to get pick 8 it will be amazing out of the situation we were in. If we were offering him 700k it's hardly unders.

He's done very well for himself.
Which is always the case with free agents.

I suppose we could have signed him up early in the season by offering him $1.5M x 5 years.

Now that would have been quality list management!!!

I suppose we could have signed him up early in the season by offering him $1.5M x 5 years.

The interesting thing with Battle is his 2024 was his best season by FAR. Before this he was just a solid player.

With the money he is on he's going to be under a lot of pressure at Hawthorn. If he plays like he did against Carlton each week their fans will turn on him fast.

The most famous Bowey to Plugger moment ... 1992 Rd 4 at Moorabbin ... Saints kick 8 goals to zip in the 1st quarter against the reigning Premiers and lead by 48pts at QT .... Hawks come steaming back and cue the final play ... Bowey to Plugger ... Saints win by 10pts .... last min of the vid below

“Kickett to Lockett…” - classic!

:)

:)

Then you have to pay Sinclair, Steele, Wilkie $1M more and the young guns Philipou, NAS $500k more, quality list management 101

Spot on and hawthorn has no motivation what so ever to increase that offer

They've paid him what they think he is worth.

They have their own cap to manage.
They do have an interest to keep St Kilda onside though.

Never know when you need to ask for a pick swap or a trade. It would be an easier task if St Kilda aren't pissed off.

I am just wondering HAVE any of the BIG CLUBS ever lost a player to Free Agency? I cant immediately think of any....
Isaac Smith, Joe Daniher, Jarrad Waite, Matt Suckling, Steven Motlop, Scott Lycett, Brandon Ellis, George Hewett, Liam Pureblood Jones, Nick Malceski, Nathan Brown, Reece Conca, Grant Birchall, Zac Williams, Marbior Chol, Dawson Simpson, Scott Selwood, Ty Vickery, Alex Fasolo, Shaun McKernan and Tim O’Brien.

Mail is battle isn't on anywhere near 900k per year.

I reckon they've butchered this terribly. They've low balled battle to push him out then tried to come back when they learnt the hawthorn offer wasn't high enough to reach a trigger point which actually went up compared to last season.

What’s your proof rumour, scuttle but BF talk.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Isaac Smith, Joe Daniher, Jarrad Waite, Matt Suckling, Steven Motlop, Scott Lycett, Brandon Ellis, George Hewett, Liam Pureblood Jones, Nick Malceski, Nathan Brown, Reece Conca, Grant Birchall, Zac Williams, Marbior Chol, Dawson Simpson, Scott Selwood, Ty Vickery, Alex Fasolo, Shaun McKernan and Tim O’Brien.
And you didn't even mention the big one
a bloke by the name of Buddy Franklin

One has to ask, why StKilda waited till the last moment to offer this coin and not early on, knowing fully well he was being courted by Hawthorn.
Looking from afar, Battle was expendable as long as the return was a first, when that didn't eventuate. St Kilda panicked hoping that it would up Hawthorns offer or he would stay at St Kilda. Battle, by this stage had already had his head around leaving .
Now it's just and a wait and see......
You got your player now toddle off. What we get in compensation is of no concern to you.

Anyone that has any type of positive mindset around battle leaving is delusional.

So a team that has won premierships in 2012, 2013, 2014 and won 13 grand finals has attracted the best two backs available for next year and is playing finals this year.

While we have one one gf
None in my lifetime and have played one ‘real’ final during their 3 premierships

And we are ok with pick 20…??

It’s absolutely ph u k d
Ross coached one of the greatest defensive teams of all time with Jason Blake and Zac Dawson taking 2/6 positions. I think we will be fine without Battle tbh

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The interesting thing with Battle is his 2024 was his best season by FAR. Before this he was just a solid player.

With the money he is on he's going to be under a lot of pressure at Hawthorn. If he plays like he did against Carlton each week their fans will turn on him fast.
Agreed. He also had an outstanding line coach in Boris.

Changed 5 weeks ago so that "compensation will not be impacted by deals shorter than two years or greater than five seasons"

Sixth year (up from 5) doesn't matter in the slightest unless the $$ change. Could actually work against us if they added a year but then slightly lowered the average salary per year

Going to be a nervous wait
Sounds like Battle gave the Saints a huge FU as he left for less dollars at the Hawks. Very disappointing.

North will be lucky to win more then 4 games next year. Yes, they have some up and coming stars but their playing form is just not improving at all.

Meanwhile its unlikely we will have anything lower then pick 8 next year, unless the entire list does an acl, and likewise the following year.

I just wouldnt be so sure they would match if they were faced with pick 3/4 as compensation is all.
Hope you're right. Would love him for nothing more than money.
Don't like our odds if he hits the open free agency market

On Pixel 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Disappointing to lose him. Hopefully we get band 1. If it ends up band 2 let’s see what they do with it first before we throw the toys out of the cot. May well end up a trade piece for something else. Potentially a Peatling type trade that boosts our midfield depth.

Sounds like he went for $850k, we ran a late offer of $950k x 6 years and he went to the Hawks with their offer. I reckon it’s right on the cusp. If the AFL wants to screw us they could

Other players who sign contracts before trade week could push him out.

They can sell him a clear vision and dream. They have a perception of being much closer to a flag than us and history to back it. We seem a bit of a confused operation with lots of hope but bad luck and excuses at the ready. Hopefully our late season form suggests that we are moving forward but until we do we are always going to struggle to have the same pull.

You make your own luck and so far Lyon’s crew has been good but they have taken a hard reputation hit today. If they blow the compo a devastating one. Gresham compo looks shaky right now…..if you gamble you’d better win. Blow this and we need some serious footy department restructuring and a good board clean out.
What a lot of drivel - no-one on here has the vaguest idea what has transpired in contract negotiations. Stop making stuff up......and no-ones reputation has taken a hit because we don't know for another 5 weeks what the compo will be - I assume you will issue an apology to the club if we end up with band 1 ??!!

What a lot of drivel - no-one on here has the vaguest idea what has transpired in contract negotiations. Stop making stuff up......and no-ones reputation has taken a hit because we don't know for another 5 weeks what the compo will be - I assume you will issue an apology to the club if we end up with band 1 ??!!

I'll be happy for gringo to issue an apology to the club when we get band 1 if the club can issue an apology to the fans for drafting clark and coffield with 2 top 10 picks

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back