List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Gotta be honest the vibe here is much more negative for something we all should has seen coming from at least round 5 this year onwards lol.

Band 2 would royally **** us but honestly not as much as paying Battle 950k for 6 years. That’s a horrendous contract there is no doubts about it. He’s a good-very good third tall but not worth that for us.

He came to us as a forward and couldn’t really hack it there and did pretty admirably to reinvent himself as a defender.

Will be missed but I’m glad we aren’t paying him 900k+ in the future.

Let’s hope Joffa’s mates mail is accurate and we get pick 8. Think us getting pick 8 is more likely with the AFL’s dodgy formulae then us getting potentially pick 5 or 6.

Whatever happens I hope we don’t blow our wad and get Houston. Please Sos I beg you.

I like your positivity but that doesn’t alter the fact we would have been royally shafted. Two top 10 picks would give us even more options for example splitting our second pick and get two later in return in a deep draft.
5 and 6 would have given us even more! 18 bloody points. That was it.

I’m not really buying that, we haven’t really lost anyone of significance since the likes of Goddard and Dal and that was more because Waters pissed them all off.
We also had the reverse happen last year with Henry, probably worse for Freo because he’s younger. Could happen again with Houston.
We develop a squad that is a legitimate premiership chance and we can just as easily be a destination club again.
AFL just needs to treat all the clubs fairly irrespective of popularity. We will get band 1 on the merit of that contract, every club would.

I heard at the time that when Roo got his big payday, it had been promised to BJ that he was next.
The man who'd shaken his hand was gone, and the cap was maxed out, so he walked.

Dal was practically shoved out the door, he'd have stayed if not for that.

McEvoy didn't ask to be traded, the Hawks approached the Saints, and they talked him into it.

All dumb on behalf of the club, though they might not have had a choice with BJ.

Regardless of what the pick ends up being, it pisses me off that we have to wait a month before we find out what we get for losing a top 10 player. I'd think the club would want to know what they have to work with during the trade period much earlier.
Surely they’re on the phone with Dillon and the sums will be run well before.

Gotta be honest the vibe here is much more negative for something we all should has seen coming from at least round 5 this year onwards lol.

Band 2 would royally **** us but honestly not as much as paying Battle 950k for 6 years. That’s a horrendous contract there is no doubts about it. He’s a good-very good third tall but not worth that for us.

He came to us as a forward and couldn’t really hack it there and did pretty admirably to reinvent himself as a defender.

Let’s hope Joffa’s mates mail is accurate and we get pick 8. Think us getting pick 8 is more likely with the AFL’s dodgy formulae then us getting potentially pick 5 or 6.

Whatever happens I hope we don’t blow our wad and get Houston. Please Sos I beg you.

I don't think there's any evidence that there would be a difference in those scenario's.
Which free agency deals do you think are dodgy?

Regardless of what the pick ends up being, it pisses me off that we have to wait a month before we find out what we get for losing a top 10 player. I'd think the club would want to know what they have to work with during the trade period much earlier.
They will. Don’t stress.

That’s true re the contract if it was on us. Not much talk about that. While we can’t attract a fly in a turd bowl, we’ll still have a bazillion sitting in Treasuries. At some point we’ll be able to use it. And that’s why we have to target FAs and keep the draft picks to build the attraction of the club.

Hawks will have a lot of space, but that’s a massive whack on Battle and Barrass, more if they have to outbid for Perryman, and a huge whack when their own players next come out of contract.

I heard at the time that when Roo got his big payday, it had been promised to BJ that he was next.
The man who'd shaken his hand was gone, and the cap was maxed out, so he walked.

Dal was practically shoved out the door, he'd have stayed if not for that.

McEvoy didn't ask to be traded, the Hawks approached the Saints, and they talked him into it.

All dumb on behalf of the club, though they might not have had a choice with BJ.
Yeah, so we haven’t had this history of players walking out on the club, in fact, most of our superstars aside from Plugger have been loyal almost to a fault (Harvey, Hayes, Buckets, Roo, Joey, Aussie). TBH I don’t want to win a flag on the back of AFL handouts anyway. The club is doing a decent job right now. Look at the Dees and North, even Essendon they’re struggling right now in comparison.
I have faith in Ross above everyone else at the club.

Last edited:
Would be disappointed if the AFL can't manipulate it and just give us a first rounder.

We clearly need some extra talent around the middle, our under 25 core is pretty good, let us add some extras into that before tassie comes in.

AFL is so desperate for equalisation, just give us a first and be done with it.

Norf have been given so much charity for being a basketcase for a decade. We've been mid pack for 6-7 years and get absolutely dick for it.

Not copping a first for Battle on the back of Norf getting one for McKay on top of all their other bonuses AND with tassie coming in will just about do me.

Smaller clubs like us struggle to get the big FA's unless we chronically overpay.

With Battle, we drafted someone in the late 30's, gave him 8 years of development and he's developed into a genuinely good player... good enough that we were prepared to offer him $950k.. only to for him to walk to a bigger club for less.

End of the day, if we don't end up with a first rounder, all we are is a feeder club for the big clubs and we just get to go back to the draft and hope we can find another Josh Battle to eventually sell off at the farmers market in 10 years.
The mooted contract value puts us on the cusp.
The ALF might be swayed by having screwed us out of Cam McKenzie,
or by the amount of freebies given to so many other clubs,
or by the fact we have only 1 premiership in our history,
or by the commercial necessity to get us going before Tassie decimate the draft for 5 years,
or by the lobbying from Bassat.

On the other hand choose to duck us, like they do every single time they have an opportunity to do so,
or they get vindictive over Bassat's rabble rousing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh mate last time we had a burning hole in our pocket we went out and got Hill, Doogs, Ryder, Jones etc etc.. I think we kinda overestimated our list and we managed to get one finals win out of it.

Not the best return.

I really want us to keep hitting the draft as much as possible especially before Tassie come in. If we’re good enough people will want to come. There is no doubt about it but getting there is where we’ve struggled.
Pahahha very true. And I agree with the rest, but hopefully my point on that came through. It was in my head at least.

Wilson needs to dye his hair or get a better bowl cut ... his own fault

I'd want to trade him out if he wore one of those stupid headbands that Dempsey and some of the other Geelong players wear.

I don't mind Wardlaw's old fashioned Beatles haircut though, he's an old fashioned midfielder too, I would love him at the Saints.

The mooted contract value puts us on the cusp.
The ALF might be swayed by having screwed us out of Cam McKenzie,
or by the amount of freebies given to so many other clubs,
or by the fact we have only 1 premiership in our history,
or by the commercial necessity to get us going before Tassie decimate the draft for 5 years,
or by the lobbying from Bassat.

On the other hand choose to duck us, like they do every single time they have an opportunity to do so,
or they get vindictive over Bassat's rabble rousing.
They also helped the Dees for Mac Andrew knowing that we would get another top 10 pick, so they rigged the Carlton game so we jumped Melbourne.

I
Wilson not even finishing top 3 for the AFL Rising Star, beaten to the podium by Dempsey, Wardlaw and Kai F***ing Lohmann.

The AFL bias against us continues.
Dempseys has been in the system for three years so more pancake than rising star.

I wonder how it looks on a "at the same age" comparison

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back