List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Slightly off topic but just on the Mason Wood love, was thinking geez if he's married/has a partner she must be extremely accommodating and patient to be putting up with all the young footy players at their place. A little internet snooping then led me to this great article from last year just before Mason's 100th game. It's quite long but definitely worth a read.

And yes, he does live with his partner Mikaela.

Here's a juicy quote about Nas from the article...

"the wingman-turned-defender has only grown under the tutelage of his elder housemate. In fact, the flow-on effect from it was so profound, it ended up playing a key part in the No. 7’s decision to re-sign with the Saints for another two years.

“It definitely did. Having Mason here, he’s helped me settle in pretty quickly and easily,” Wanganeen-Milera told saints.com.au. "I can always go to him to have a chat about anything. He's definitely had an impact on my time here and he was a factor in me signing on as well."

Slightly off topic but just on the Mason Wood love, was thinking geez if he's married/has a partner she must be extremely accommodating and patient to be putting up with all the young footy players at their place. A little internet snooping then led me to this great article from last year just before Mason's 100th game. It's quite long but definitely worth a read.

And yes, he does live with his partner Mikaela.

Here's a juicy quote about Nas from the article...

"the wingman-turned-defender has only grown under the tutelage of his elder housemate. In fact, the flow-on effect from it was so profound, it ended up playing a key part in the No. 7’s decision to re-sign with the Saints for another two years.

“It definitely did. Having Mason here, he’s helped me settle in pretty quickly and easily,” Wanganeen-Milera told saints.com.au. "I can always go to him to have a chat about anything. He's definitely had an impact on my time here and he was a factor in me signing on as well."
Give this man a raise!

It's no coincidence that we've been one of the four or five youngest sides for the last decade. It's OK to be young for a couple of years as part of a sharp rebuild, but being young for a decade is a clear sign of failure - your young players are getting cut before they ever get old. Even drafting players who have 10 year careers is for losers. Drafting players who have 15+ year careers, now that's when you're really getting serious.

The worst part is that we only have about 4 years left of the best footy of a bulk of our best players and then there is a very thin group between 23 and 26 who will probably need to be fattened out again.

The worst part is that we only have about 4 years left of the best footy of a bulk of our best players and then there is a very thin group between 23 and 26 who will probably need to be fattened out again.
but in 3-4 years, those guys will be in the 25-28 and right hitting their prime and we will be filling up from the draft. I don't think it's going to be a massive issue

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was obvious to me. We were bluffing for years. Still think Finnis was the worst thing that happened to us. He was totally disinterested in improving the football department and went full austerity. He completely ignored poor performance as long as they asked for nothing.

Collingwood blew themselves up by hiring an idiot who burst their cap and lost them players. They didn't whinge, they topped up with guys from the state leagues and iunloved talent that was low profile but under-utilised. Geelong are good at it too.

The AFL need to clean up the rules no doubt but 90% of our wounds were totally self inflicted. We are still trying to bypass the hard slow stuff for little cheats that might come off but so far have set us backwards. Essendon have done the same thing. The zigged when they should have zagged and paid up for high profile trades to hide from poor drafting. Dogs and Melbourne won flags with the same impediments as us.

I've listed the advantages the Dogs had, and the AFL literally went into to Melbourne to save it. As I've also said before, we're uniquely poorly placed to withstand a full North Melbourne style rebuild. Running massive deficits while the AFL wouldn't be really interested in preserving us in the competition (they way they were interested in preserving Melbourne and Brisbane) would have been asking for the league's ire. Collingwood and Geelong have rivers of cash to pay their way past mistakes.

From a purely football point of view it's easy to be critical of Finnis, but we exist and have an enduring home base back at Moorabbin - there's a chance neither of those things would be true without "austerity". I understand the impatience because I experience that as well, but it's a cottage industry around these parts to MMQB criticism of decisions that were reasonable at the time with all information available at the time.

That VFL game against Richmond was a potential look into his future. 34 touches, 3 goals, 12 tackles and 162 fantasy points. I don't think he even started on the ground. He's played 11 VFL games ranked over 100 fantasy points in 7 of them, 3 more in the 90s. His worst out put was 83.

Looks an absolute blue chip prospect. And yes he's a brutal tackling machine who is the same height as Lenny Hayes.

VFL form especially against Richmond etc not worth a whole lot. I think he becomes a Half forward rather than an onballer. Will play Half Forward next year.

I think a lot of this is wanting him to be an onballer because we are desperate for one rather than his actual production/type
I saw him with the other players watching Sandringham earlier this year.
My one impression of him was: he looks 15 years old and belongs on a BMX bike.
The fact that he’s playing against and beating men, whatever the level, tells you all you need to know about what he will be when he grows into his body.

I think we are woo’d by anyone who puts in effort but Ive not seen much other than some good VFL form.. Paddy Dow had that too

Disagree

This kid excites me.

As the season progressed he showed more and more potential.

Reckon he's a smart footballer too. I think he can be a surprisingly big piece of the puzzle.

Really want to see him and Windy kill it over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So when are we delisting Hugo Garcia because he isn't the complete footballer at the age of 19? Christ.

In the 12-month sample size we have had with Hugo, I have no doubts he will be a handy player at AFL level (at minimum). His drive and physical traits might even make him an A-grader. Who knows. Give it time.

However, I can't stomach posters here going "yeah, he's arguably been our best at VFL level playing as a first-year mid, but I just don't see it."

The kid has that dog in him, finds the ball easily, has elite running capacities and kicks goals. Once he puts on some muscle and gets more midfield exposure at AFL level, which will come after a couple of preseasons, I would be dumfounded if he isn't having 20+ disposal games consistently.

I read on the internet opinions about Collard in his draft year that suggested he has the tools to be the pick of the 23 draft pool.
I look forward to that opinion becoming fact.
I’m loooking forward to the days when the Eagles offer Harley to us to bring him home.

The Reeves rumours are interesting. There is no doubt he is a good tap ruckman but what else does he offer, I think Max heath would be a better contested mark. Its exactly why Meek has gone past him at Hawthorn he is very good arouud the ground. Perhaps the club (RTB) think they can work with him ala Sandilands and turn him into something - skeptical?

The up shot is the club obviously think Marshall can add more playing a dual role with King forward.

Last edited:
The Reeves rumours are interesting. There is no doubt he is a good tap ruckman but what else does he offer, I think Max heath would be a better contested mark. Its exactly why Meek has gone past him at Hawthorn he is very good aroud the ground. Perhaps the club (RTB) think they can work with him ala Sandilands and turn him into something - skeptical?

The up shot is the club obviously think Marshall can add more playing a dual role with King forward.

Reeves looks more like a replacement to Campbell to me.
IE Depth.

Meek was a good pick up for them and a much better ruck man. Reeves isn't terrible but he's not going to walk into the best 22 next year and dominate unless he has a miraculous off season.
I would not be surprised if Reeves schtick was the ruck who concedes the least hitouts to advantage.

If I was a ruckman on the rise St Kilda would terrify me.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back